12/12/2011, 10:54 AM
So it has been just shy of a week with my Sprintified Verizon Pre2. On the whole, it has been good experience, with WebOS 2.1 being a tremendous improvement over the 1.4.5 I came from...
- WebOS 2.1 is fantastic
- The device is SOOOOO much snappier than my Pre-, and I haven't even gotten to any Kernel updates yet. All arond it is a better "stock" experience.
- Physically, this thing is much more sturdy that my Pre- (which had two screen replacements) and the sliding is much better (though still not perfect).
- I got lucky and my sprint PRL was up-to-date, so no issues there.
- The Webos Internals group has some fantastic resources out there, and they are really helpful (albeit a bit disorganized in places)
The Bad (kind of, not really)
- Still struggling with the lack of a hard button on the front. This is my own hangup and I am working through it.
- The sliding mechanism still seems to flex a bit much for me, so it isn't perfect. But it seems (psychologically-speaking) better than my Pre- ever was.
- The Meta-Doctor process is a bit overwhelming because the instructions seem to miss some subtleties and you have to link all over. Don't get me wrong. It *IS* all there, it is just a bit disjointed at times. People on the forums are great though, and I made my way through it successfully.
- Never used Ubuntu before, so there was a bit of a learning curve, but I am no stranger to the command line, so it worked out OK, with some initial stumbles.
- Through my own fault, I misread the ordering of something, and needed to re-doctor. I ended up getting the 12% error several times. The forums and Wiki were helpful here, but it doesn't negate the fact that it still sucked to have to figure all that out.
- Dr. First Skipped. The instructions say turn off the backups to prevent this. This isn't always accurate, as I still got it a couple of times. What I found that *DID* work every time was turning off backups AND going into my profile online and deleting the device from the device listing.
- Completely Random Reboots. I think it is just Luna rebooting, but it happens at no discernable pattern or time. Sometimes when I am going into Preware. Sometimes I would add a patch and Luna would reboot and just before gettign to the main screen it would completely reboot. Other times it would just be doing a "Just Type" search and BANG, both Luna and Complete reboots. I have no idea what is going on here.
- Random Freezes. Sometimes you just put it down and walk away and it comes out of it. Sometimes I had to physically remove the battery to fix it. Again, no discernable pattern or timing here. As with the reboots, I have no idea what is going on here.
- I think I am going to do a complete clean and re-doctor just one more time, just to make sure I try to resolve the re-booting and freezing stuff. It happens a few times a day still, so I am thinking it can't hurt. The setup of accounts and such is pretty painless (IMHO), so this doesn't bother me too much.
- I am concerned that there may be some sort of hardware issue going on here, and I have no idea how to diagnose this yet. Physically, it looks fine when I did the comm board switch. But I will try to resolve the freezes and reboots via the software route and hopefully that will be the remedy. Who knows.