Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am currently with Sprint, not on contract and have just been waiting for the right device to come along...alas there isn't a webOS option. I am trying to decide if I should find a Pre 2 for VZW and just switch over while we wait on the new open source project.

I am a little hesitant that I could do the Frankenpre procedure correctly but not sure how long my Pre- will still last. Is the switch on carrier worth it? I am sure Verizon will always get the newest and best hardware in the future too.

Guess just like webOS I am just lost as to what to do. Anyone have any thought?
    You are in a similar, yet far superior, position to the one I was in.

I am on a Pre 2 as of about two weeks, and like it. I am on a new 2-year contract with Verizon, however, as I got their heavily-discounted Pre 2 online, with waived activation and free shipping.

I should have waited and bought one on eBay, etc.

Also, I was spoiled on unlimited data. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but you will have some sticker shock with Verizon.

My love for webOS > any remorse, though.
    Prē
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts
    I was also leery of doing the FrankenPre process, so I bought a Pre2 on eBay and sent it off for conversion. I recommend morrison0808 for this. Check out his thread in the Marketplace forum and send him a PM if you're interested. It's great to have a better phone and keep my Sprint account!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I thought the phone needed to be activated during the conversion process. How does that work if you send it to someone to have it converted, or am u mistaken?
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts
    Yes, you send the activated Pre- along with the Pre2, so you're without your phone for a few days.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I have a frankenpre2 on Sprint and am very glad I did it. Of course, I would rather have a pre3 but I too am spoiled on Sprint's prices.

The phone doesn't need to be activated, per se. What happens is that the comm board from the pre- that is already activated is removed and then swapped out with the comm board on the new pre2. So the part that "knows" about the activation info is swapped out and into the new phone.

Yes, if you send it off, you will be without both phones for a couple of days. The swap isn't too hard but if you are worried about it the safer bet it to send it to someone who is well respected by other community members. There are several, one has already been mentioned.

Its well worth it
    I'm in the "choose carrier first" camp. If you're happy with Sprint's prices, coverage and service in your area, don't switch for a Pre 2.

But yeah, 2ing your Pre is always an option. If you really want to hang on, these guys have the right idea.

And if you go that route and are afraid to be a guinea pig at all, I'd wait a few weeks. The Sprint 2 MetaDoctor is likely about to change as soon as the 2.2.4 doctor for the 2 is released. That'll mean getting some Skype, etc, but also likely sorting through a few new early bugs. (Of course you could always sign up to help test!)

Edit: I 2'd and am quite content! Very nice lift from the minus.
    2ing on your own can be quite a process, but also a thrill once it's accomplished! i studied it up for bout a month or so before finding an awesome deal on ebay.

Either on your own or using a service, I totally recommend upgrading. The performance difference is literally night and day.

As for switching companies, if I could snag an unlocked/Vz Pre3 for a good deal, then I might be able to stomach leaving Sprint, but only for a Pre3, not a Pre2 since 2ing on Sprint is totally 100% workable.
    Go for the FrankenPre, you wont regret it!