Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Well, first of all us sprint pre 2 users like myself wouldnt this mean modified versions of the webos doctor hopefully 2.2.4 can be distributed freely?
    Hopefully/Probably yes to your main statement.

Another thing I think it at least means is that you wouldn't necessarily need to have each and every person set up a linux environment, and then download and run the meta-doctor scripts themselves to create custom doctors from scratch.

Instead, for instance, something like a Sprint FrankenPre2 doctor could be created once, and then the finished product posted online for others to grab and use.

Thats gonna save some people a lot of time, and eliminate one of the major apprehensions some people have about attempting a FrankenPre2 conversion.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    ^yha pretty much exactly what I was saying. Hopefully some further customization come of this to. fix,buds, lag issues and battery performance
    This partly depends on what portions of the OS are open sourced as well, I believe. There may be parts they can include (under license) as it is now that can't be included for free distribution by third parties.

It could take a while before everything can be managed elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    ^yha pretty much exactly what I was saying. Hopefully some further customization come of this to. fix,buds, lag issues and battery performance
    Bet on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    This partly depends on what portions of the OS are open sourced as well, I believe. There may be parts they can include (under license) as it is now that can't be included for free distribution by third parties.

It could take a while before everything can be managed elsewhere.
    They basically said they're going to open source the whole OS down to the core. They also said that because of that it will be necessary to replace certain parts of the system with open source code that are currently using licensed code. Certain features (like Skype) that can't easily be replaced will probably have to be de-integrated from the OS itself the way they are now and simply repackaged separately as standalone apps (which I'd prefer anyway in the case of Skype).

No time frame has been given yet but it will probably take several months. In the mean time, they plan to release the Enyo framework under open source soon to give app developers something to start chewing on.