1.    #1  
    My plan (and the wife's) are eligible for early upgrades tomorrow. After careful consideration and a year and a half of good times with our Palm Pre Plusses, we're going to stick with WebOS and go for Pre 2's for another two years. We can't beat the prices at this point and I know that the company support for the platform is iffy, but what the hell. Has any one out there made a similar choice recently?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Economically that would be a poor decision. The typical subsidy for a smartphone is around $350-400 (just compare ebay prices for a new device with the 2yr contract price). For the Pre2 it is just $120. You'd be better off using your subsidy on an iphone 4S, never opening it, putting it on ebay, and taking that $3-400 to buy 2 brand new off contract pre2's on ebay. You'd save an upgrade, have 2 new Pre2's, and another upgrade available.
    Also, given the iffiness of HPs commitment to webOS (especially on the phones), I wouldn't want to be in a 2yr contract when things like synergy may no longer be supported, and OS upgrades are dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    Economically that would be a poor decision. The typical subsidy for a smartphone is around $350-400 (just compare ebay prices for a new device with the 2yr contract price). For the Pre2 it is just $120. You'd be better off using your subsidy on an iphone 4S, never opening it, putting it on ebay, and taking that $3-400 to buy 2 brand new off contract pre2's on ebay. You'd save an upgrade, have 2 new Pre2's, and another upgrade available.
    Also, given the iffiness of HPs commitment to webOS (especially on the phones), I wouldn't want to be in a 2yr contract when things like synergy may no longer be supported, and OS upgrades are dead.

why not get a set of Pre 3's ??? Verizon will activate them no??
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the tips, both of you! I'd be getting one Pre 2 for $30, or so and the other for free, but I hadn't factored in how much Verizon makes back from me through the contract.
    I say go for it. I did an early upgrade from the Plus to the Pre 2 for me and my teenage son in late August and haven't regretted it for a minute. Loved the Plus but loooooooove the Pre 2! And that goes for my son as well - considering how quick teenagers can be to complain if they think something's not cool enough to be seen with, I think that's saying something! :-)
    After digesting Freeoscar's message, sounds like a nice way to make some extra $, but I think I'd do the same as I did before - heck, I'm happy to have demonstrated to Verizon that there was still support for webOS by upgrading from the Plus to the Pre 2...YMMV
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I've been happy with my VzW Pre2. Upgraded for free and have been happy with it. I just hope we see the 2.2.4 release so I can text from my Touchpad. That is a feature that would get a lot of use by me.
    The Pre2 is a solid phone. I am 2 months away from having it for a year and haven't regretted it once.
    Upgraded my Vzw Pre+ to a 2, not too long ago. Although, I went eBay/off-contract. Haven't regretted. It really is everything the Plus should of been. I wouldn't worry about the future of the platform - even if HP is not supporting phones anymore the WebOS hobbiest community will keep going for at least a few more years..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    I got a Pre2 (Bought it on ebay) and I'm very happy with it. It might not have all the bells and whistles of my girlfriend's Bionic, but I love it never the less. =)