Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pitxitxita
  1.    #1  
    One of the IT guys says that it is 'normal' for a phone need to be reset (soft boot) at least daily....if not more often. He restarts his sometimes several time a day. He didn't say so in so many words, but acted like I was doing something almost wrong in never restarting my Pre2.

Does my phone need to be restarted every day? Is this 'normal' for Android phones - if it is, why? or is the IT guy just confused?
    When I had an original pre it needed reset a lot w/ 2.1 on it due to memory getting full/leaks. Since my frankenpre 2 I dont need to reset manually, but have a reboot scheduler reboot daily while im asleep at 3am to keep things fresh. Its kind of like a computer to me, resetting = clears out bogged down resources, etc.
    I agree with RyanCell. *I reboot my Pre2 a couple times a day. Bug-free software is outdated, so code can eat resources as it develops. *Ryan, where can we pick up your reboot app? *
    HP -> Land Line ... Palm -> Pre2 ... HP -> TP64gb
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybongo View Post
    I agree with RyanCell. *I reboot my Pre2 a couple times a day. Bug-free software is outdated, so code can eat resources as it develops. *Ryan, where can we pick up your reboot app? *
    Preset Reset in Preware.
    johncampanale likes this.
    Or reboot scheduler too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Going to have to check out them apps in preware.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    Or reboot scheduler too
    That's what I use on all of my (webOS) devices.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I think my battery problems are linked to the length of time it is between restarts.

If I got three or four days without restarting it then battery levels drop faster and faster each day after a recharge.

I can then restart the Pre2 and it goes back to more normal levels.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Preset reset. Is what I use. phone restarts everyday at 4 and re syncs that time. Really helps the phone to run more efficiently.
    Preset Reset didn't like me last time I tried it

I shall give it another go sometime.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    One of the IT guys says that it is 'normal' for a phone need to be reset (soft boot) at least daily....if not more often. He restarts his sometimes several time a day. He didn't say so in so many words, but acted like I was doing something almost wrong in never restarting my Pre2.

Does my phone need to be restarted every day? Is this 'normal' for Android phones - if it is, why? or is the IT guy just confused?
    You should reset any electronic component daily, just like you should go to sleep every night.

I mean every electronic component with a computer chip in it, comptuers, laptops, cellphones, blu ray players, Xbox360s etc.

They all use some form of kernel and memory/processor system.

No computer code is perfect, they all have memory leaks, errors, etc. Over a short period of time, your memory usage will creep slowly up until your memory is full, your swap is bloated and your CPU has to process unnecessary background tasks that arent quitting, error messages, dirty memory, pages etc.

How would you feel if you were forced to be kept awake for a week+?

A computer is no different.

Shut it off every day. Period. Your device will be faster, it will consume less power and it will last longer in the long run.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Funny, my FrankenPre 2 has been running for several months flawlessly without a reboot. I used to have issues until I removed an app (batterySaver) that put it in airplane mode every night. The phone would freeze when it came out of airplane mode and often required a battery pull to get it back. Now, my TouchPad is a different story.

As for computers... I have an Solaris/OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana setup that has been running unattended for several (10) years. The only time I reboot is to upgrade the OS (or after I shut it down for a power outage). The nice thing about this OS is that I can upgrade live and rollback if something goes wrong with the update (they keep the upgrade in a separate boot archive).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I must admit if things are built/written properly then they shouldnt require rebooting constantly.

Just typical crappy cut&paste development.
    I reboot my phones daily for regimental purpose to keep them fresh. My webOS devices no more than that one reboot at night is needed but my android phones needs more reboots per day than I care to admit, bloody fragmentation.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I reboot my phones daily for regimental purpose to keep them fresh. My webOS devices no more than that one reboot at night is needed but my android phones needs more reboots per day than I care to admit, bloody fragmentation.
    I feel your pain brother LOL. If you don't reset an android phone a couple of times a day you will be in a world of hurt! I don't care if the phone has a custom rom or not. Its getting to the point where sales reps in stores are telling people to at least power down once a day. "Cause these phones are like computers" lol what I started doing with my android phone is if I don't need the alarm I just turn the phone off for the night sometimes. Saved me for a mid day reset when I'm on a call or doing something semi to really important on my phone.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk