1.    #1  
    Considering a switch to the Pre2 (from a gen1 Sprint Pre) to take advantage of the current $29.99 Pre2 offer, and I just have a couple of concerns that I was hoping to get some help with.

1). Right now I'm using Freetether to enable my TouchPad while away from a WiFi hotspot. Will it work on a Verizon Pre2 (without getting hit with any sorts of fees)?

2). How does Verizon's VZ Navigator compare to the Sprint Navigator? I find Sprint Navigator easy to use and the voice is quite legible. I've been in the car with one friend who's got a Blackberry, and the GPS voice was very robotic and made some words almost unintelligible.

3). I know there's something else ... just can't think of it right now...

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    1). Right now I'm using Freetether to enable my TouchPad while away from a WiFi hotspot. Will it work on a Verizon Pre2 (without getting hit with any sorts of fees)?

No. Some fear that significant usage of freetether may get Verizon to sniff around your account but I have not experienced that but I also do not tether very often.

2). How does Verizon's VZ Navigator compare to the Sprint Navigator? I find Sprint Navigator easy to use and the voice is quite legible. I've been in the car with one friend who's got a Blackberry, and the GPS voice was very robotic and made some words almost unintelligible.

I do not pay for VZ navigator (as many others) so I can not comment on usage but just know that the Verizon Pre+ and Pre2 are plagued with GPS issues if you do not use VZ navigator. The GPSFix app greatly improves performance but it's still very flaky.

Hope this helps!
  3. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Considering a switch to the Pre2 (from a gen1 Sprint Pre) to take advantage of the current $29.99 Pre2 offer, and I just have a couple of concerns that I was hoping to get some help with.

3). I know there's something else ... just can't think of it right now...

Thanks.
    I've used freetether extensively on my Pre2 with no repercussions from VZW. I don't have VZnav, so can't help you there.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks dki.

Not glad at all to hear about the GPS issues. Botht he wife and I are frequent GPS users (Sprint Nav).

Now I'm not so certain that jumping ship will be worth it. First, I'm gonna be paying higher monthly fees. Second, I'll get (what you report to be) lousy GPS if I don't pay the extra $5/line for VZ Nav...

But, what choice do I have really?

Even if I felt like being bothered with a Verizon to Sprint Pre2 conversion, I'd still have to pay upwards of $150 for a new Pre2 off Amazon.

The wife is 4 days into an iPhone4s purchase. My hands-on with the device just confirmed my disdain for it - multi-tasking is non-existent. I simply refuse to live without the multi-tasking originated by WebOS.

whoa is me.
    I also use FreeTether frequently on my Pre2, and there have not been any VZW repercussions (or even suggestion that my tethering was noticed by Big Red).

I don't use VZNav, but I do use the GPS relatively often in the Maps app. While I had problems with the GPS accuracy on my Pre Plus, I have found the GPS on my Pre2 to work just fine.

It may work for you, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Thanks dki.

Not glad at all to hear about the GPS issues. Botht he wife and I are frequent GPS users (Sprint Nav).

Now I'm not so certain that jumping ship will be worth it. First, I'm gonna be paying higher monthly fees. Second, I'll get (what you report to be) lousy GPS if I don't pay the extra $5/line for VZ Nav...

But, what choice do I have really?

Even if I felt like being bothered with a Verizon to Sprint Pre2 conversion, I'd still have to pay upwards of $150 for a new Pre2 off Amazon.

The wife is 4 days into an iPhone4s purchase. My hands-on with the device just confirmed my disdain for it - multi-tasking is non-existent. I simply refuse to live without the multi-tasking originated by WebOS.

whoa is me.
    sprint conversion worth It, you will work off the $150 by avoiding the $10 monthly fee and in the meantime enjoy a solid webos phone, much better than the minus
  7.    #7  
    thanks treodoc. That's encouraging about the non-VZ Nav GPS.

bluenote, I seriously would consider it if #1) I felt confident enough to pull off the conversion. #2) I felt it would be worth the 20+ months it would take for me to recoup the cost of two phones (for me & wifey).