Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I installed the update with HP maps when it hit my phone a couple months ago with the long restart for the new software update. Since then when my phone shuts down for any reason it restarts with google maps, which I can not use, it tells me to do the update for maps. Any help is appreciated. I can not Seem to find any other posts with my problem
    Post 36 in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...se-read-2.html

For some, the fake OS update appears to reinstall GMaps but leaves Bing Maps in place. If you have both these folders (for sure in webOS 2.1)...

GMaps:
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    Bing Maps:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/
    ...then this is probably the issue. The phone gets confused as both apps are called "Maps." Folks have been able to fix it by re-deleting the GMaps app folder then immediately rebooting. Proceed at your own risk!

From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc):
    Code:
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    then close and reboot.

A little dirty, but works and haven't seen better answer yet. Hope that helps.
    A visit to the Doctor worked for me, I got tired of having to keep installing the Maps app after a reboot, Luna restart or a battery swap.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Post 36 in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...se-read-2.html

For some, the fake OS update appears to reinstall GMaps but leaves Bing Maps in place. If you have both these folders (for sure in webOS 2.1)...

GMaps:
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    Bing Maps:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/
    ...then this is probably the issue. The phone gets confused as both apps are called "Maps." Folks have been able to fix it by re-deleting the GMaps app folder then immediately rebooting. Proceed at your own risk!

From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc):
    Code:
    then close and reboot.

A little dirty, but works and haven't seen better answer yet. Hope that helps.
    A big Thank You from me! I followed your instructions, and it finally works.
    Last edited by studyhood; 12/06/2011 at 12:27 PM.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by studyhood View Post
    No problem, I know how you feel! This drove me nuts, too. I use Sprint Nav for navigation, but always use Maps for quick local searches. For that I love the new Enyo interface over the old GMaps with the way it lists searches.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I realize this thread is a little old and sorry if I'm off-topic. But I had my HP (Bing) Maps app disappear also. Except the Google maps came back and the new Maps didn't completely remove.
    When I click the link in the Google Maps app it takes me to the HP Maps app catalog page but instead of an Install button @ the bottom, mine says "Tap to Launch". But the whole map folder is gone under cryptofs.

Is there a place to copy the HP Maps folder from or a way to reset the App Catalog so it doesn't appear to be installed?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Update: Doctored phone and problem fixed.
    Last edited by workerb; 01/29/2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Update to status.
    Brian Gockley likes this.
    Same problem here. Happened after phone forced an "update" from webOs 2.1.0 to 2.1.0 (wierd).
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Same problem here. Happened after phone forced an "update" from webOs 2.1.0 to 2.1.0 (wierd).
    Mine did same! Very Strange. And yes, every time I restart I have to reinstall HP maps. Very annoying . . .
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    I had to doctor my VZW Pre2 to get Maps working. The phone is pretty new, so I wasn't worried about losing anything.

I could never get HP Maps to launch. It was an endless loop of it telling me to download HP Maps, then trying to launch it, and then it telling me to download it again.
    Doctoring also fixed my map problem. First time I used the Doctor, went well . . .
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Doctored here, as well. I had the same problem though I admit to making changes with Internals, using info found here, when it was thought to retain Google maps functionality....
    Take Care
    Wait! Can someone please point me to the doctor, so I can fix my maps? Had my Pre2 for 2 months, and no maps... just cycling through the google maps/app store/HP maps/google maps... (you get the picture). Thanks!
    Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor

Read through the article, then doctor away....

Take Care
    Thanks Btravelen. The article says webOS 3.x Tablet. I'm on a Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by This2ShallPass View Post
    Thanks Btravelen. The article says webOS 3.x Tablet. I'm on a Pre2.
    read down to where it begins 'webos 2.0.x' and then follow along. Take Care
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by studyhood View Post
    "From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc):
    Code:
    then close and reboot."

Worked for me and saved me the effort of redoctoring and reloading everything. Did this from
    webos quick install linux commandline.
    Thanks for this hint!
    for those of us that used the verizon super script to doctor ourselves to 2.2.4 which renames the original google maps app to com.palm.app.googlemaps in order to have the ability to install bing maps and keep google maps, a new conflict has risen.
    i'm trying to install the new google maps by 72ka and it's the same problem since his app is called "google maps" if i ran a:
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.googlemaps
    then installed 72ka's new google maps from preware, do you think it would show up in the launcher?

or is there a way i could make it named "old google maps" or some such in order to just remove the conflict?
    since basically the problem is i can install his app, and it's there, it runs if i launch it from preware, but it doesn't show up in the launcher i guess since there's already an app called "google maps"
    I tried moving the folder rather than deleting it plus a reboot and its fixed

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I put Internalz into Master mode and deleted the folder, rebooted and I could use bing maps.
    I must admit, I thought I was at least decently functional at some of this stuff on my Pre 2. I'm in dev mode, comfy with preware (who wouldn't be?), but I just do not understand all this. Master mode? renaming folders? verizon (yes, that's me) superscript? Eeek.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast