1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2, which was working perfectly.
    Out of no where I got this issue.

When ever I make an outgoing call or answer a call, the screen goes black, and I am unable to hang up the call or use any screen function.

This is a big pain, as if I call someone and they don't answer, I have to take the battery out of the phone just to be able to use the screen again.

-----

Before I tried doing another fresh meta-doctor, I was wondering, is it possible that there could be a setting misconfigured causing an unusable screen timeout period or something like that? In the "Screen and Lock" menu I have it set to "1 Minute" fade to black.

As soon as I make a call or answer a call, the screen becomes unusable.

----

Secondly...

--- Does anyone know any why I can hang up calls using the keyboard or other such functions so I can have a usable phone?
    --- Being able to hang up the phone using the keyboard would really help until I get the phone fixed.
  2.    #2  
    nobody have this issue?

Is there possibly a setting or registry type value corrupted which is causing a 1/2 sec backlight time with disabled screen activation...

I ask this because it would be logical to turn off the screen so your face doesn't accidently hang up the call, but I should be able to turn the screen on with the main power/screen button during a call which I cannot, that is the problem ; possibly better described.

It was working fine for 2 weeks, and I'm getting disappointed of having the option of buying another two (sprint pre + verizon pre 2), 2/3 year old phones, or being stuck with an android just so I can have a useable cellular telephone.
    Make sure nothing is blocking the proximity sensor, including a screen protector. Also make sure the area's really clean.
    yeah, a poorly placed screen protector gave me this exact issue a few months back, removing the protector resolved the issue.
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I agree with all of the previous posts. Looks like a screen protector or something else is blocking your proximity sensor. Skinomi screen protectors have cut outs for the proximity sensor. You can test the function of this sensor in the device info, interactive test under screen. Also, the "Advanced" phone patch in combinations with the "Tweaks" app will allow you to set the power button to hang up phone calls. This should get you back to using your phone again.
    Quote Originally Posted by awalp View Post
    I ask this because it would be logical to turn off the screen so your face doesn't accidently hang up the call, but I should be able to turn the screen on with the main power/screen button during a call which I cannot, that is the problem ; possibly better described.
    There's patch called "Power Button Ends Calls Except Speaker" that you want. It works on 1.4.5, unlike the "Advanced" patches.