Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It's been a bad day. Dropped my Sprint Pre2 on the kitchen tile floor. It hit face down and shattered the glass. It was working so well, what with UK and my favorite patches, even Yahoo calendar was syncing.

Now I have to face up to reality. I could get a new Pre2 on ebay for $150 and do the comm board swap and use that for another year or so knowing full well that there will be no OTA, ever. No upgrade path either. As much as I want a webOS phone, a Pre 2 or even a Pre 3 is a dead-end now. I can't deny it any longer. Why put off the inevitable? My (iPhone) family implores me to convert. I'm seriously considering it. And, I'll always have my Touchpad.

So, in the next few days I'll have to make the decision that all of us with webOS phones will have to make in the not too distant future. I'm not a happy guy right now. Thanks Leo and HP.
    Clancejr likes this.
    Pre 3! Long live webOS!
    Don't do it! Look away from the glowing fruit!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    the iPhone as a device isn't that great, ios is boring and hasn't changed much since 2007, the only thing it has going for it is app support. yes I know that can be a big draw for some, but I love the way webOS works much better, and I dont really use alot of apps.
    Cool. Tell us how you like it. I have the protection plan. I still have my Pre-. I keep taking it in to Sprint and they give me a new one. I won't get another phone ever as long as they keep replacing it otherwise it will cost an extra $10 per month. I like my phone anyways, although, I don't really know much else. My girl has an Android and I really don't dig it much but then I probably haven't used it enough??? And I have played around with iPhones and...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Cool. Tell us how you like it. I have the protection plan. I still have my Pre-. I keep taking it in to Sprint and they give me a new one. I won't get another phone ever as long as they keep replacing it otherwise it will cost an extra $10 per month. I like my phone anyways, although, I don't really know much else. My girl has an Android and I really don't dig it much but then I probably haven't used it enough??? And I have played around with iPhones and...
    I won't like the iPhone. I'll feel stupid standing there swiping away while nothing happens. And I agree about that extra $10/m. I really don't want to be locked into a contract again after feeling so free since June. I want my webOS.
    Get a new Pre and wait to see when an ICS wielding device hits Sprint?
    I have been on the fence wanting to try the pre- -> pre2 comm swap as I do not also want to get hit with sprints $10 a month fee. However, while is still have the protection plan mentioned by LizardWiz, this is an $8 a month fee in itself. So if I were to go the ~$150 pre2 route I was thinking about dropping the protection plan completely. The thing is that LTE on all the US carriers is not going to be all that robust until the end of probably 2013 so hitting the iphone route right now may not be such a bad proposition. Just wish I could get a pre3 on sprint...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnappers View Post
    I have been on the fence wanting to try the pre- -> pre2 comm swap as I do not also want to get hit with sprints $10 a month fee. However, while is still have the protection plan mentioned by LizardWiz, this is an $8 a month fee in itself. So if I were to go the ~$150 pre2 route I was thinking about dropping the protection plan completely. The thing is that LTE on all the US carriers is not going to be all that robust until the end of probably 2013 so hitting the iphone route right now may not be such a bad proposition. Just wish I could get a pre3 on sprint...
    Do the pre- -> pre 2 conversion. You won't regret it. No contract and no fee.

I'm leaning away from the iPhone and may do another Pre 2. Who cares that my grandkids can't facetime me? That's what my wife's iPhone and iPad are for. Yeah.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Pre2 def. Its what I'm sitting with until something happens. I think hopping on a iphone now would be jumping the gun. And webos is too spetacular for me to chance to a soso Os with a formfactor that isn't much. Just sweat it out a bit more either way it'll pay off.
    The Sprint Franken Pre 2 isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It was definitely cool to upgrade from the tired ol' Pre minus. But now the Pre 2 seems tired.

It's really buggy and I've learned to accept it. The iPhone 4s is really tempting--especially Siri because I drive around all day.

But the form factor, cards, and, especially, the Touchstones in my office, car, and bedroom have kept me from going to the Dark Side.

So far......
    I don't see the dilemma here. Pre2. Why settle for a device you don't like just because others do? Stick with the OS you enjoy. I realize that someday I will be facing the same issue. I already know what direction I am going to take.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    If your choice is webos phone or iPhone get an iPhone. If its android or iPhone then think about it a little. I dropped my iPhone 4 for a gs2 because I needed a bigger screen. Well wanted a bigger screen. If iPhone 5 is at least a 4 inch screen I'll probably switch back. The gs2 is a great phone and I use my iPad 2 to FaceTime with my family who all still have iPhones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I had an iPhone 4, I gave it to my GF and bought a Pre2, this is the happiest I've ever been with a phone!, though I still wish I could get my hands on a Pre3...I’m on Verizon you see so its the rare and pricey one that I need to buy
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Since you are on Sprint and cant get the pre3 I would say go for the iPhone. It is a great phone. Sure I miss some parts of webOS but iOS 5 is really nice. I thought for awhile I would want to switch back and I have a veer as a backup phone in case my iPhone breaks but lately I have realized there is no way I could switch from iOS 5 to webOS2.x. webOS has barely changed at all in 3 years while iOS has changed dramatically in many areas. I am no Apple superfan and I look at Android and Windows Phone all the time but right now I truly believe the iPhone is the best smartphone all around. Sure other systems do some things better but I personally think the iPhone is the best all around package.

After a year on iOS I am very happy and would not switch to any other platform today. Hoping in the future someone can make something worth switching to. Maybe Nokia or Motorola can make it happen, but right now iOS is my top choice.
    emjayess likes this.
    I have a spare Pre Plus and a Pre 2 standing by to replace my launch day Verizon Pre Plus that is still working exactly the way I want.

I plan to ride the webOS horse until it drops and they have to pry my Pre from my cold dead Palm.

Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    If you're off contract with Sprint and want to stick with the Pre2, maybe buy an unlocked GSM Pre2 and look into one of the prepaid carrier options? I think you can get unlimited everything for like $50 a month. Don't pay the new phone subsidy if you're not actually getting a subsidized phone.
    I am in the same boat, have a pre- 2 years now, works great ifi can get it to charge, would love a pre2 but am just not confident about the doctoring, and I really don't see a future for webOS, no matter how hard I try.
    Give WP7 a go! Nobody ever reccomends it but I use it and it's really great! I love WebOS but for now there are a couple applications WebOS lacks that keep me from my Pre 2. I really love Mango.
    No way I would drink that rot gut, I purchased a Pre 3 and am still drinking the vintage webOS refreshment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast