Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
    I'm working on upgrading my family's dumb phones to Pres now. I guess upgrade is all relative, eh? I love these Pre's.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Gotta love you guys. Just picked up a new pre2 on ebay. No want IPhone. Want my webOS.
    Going from a Rumor 2 to a Pre is a great thing. Yeah, I'm still a few years behind tech. I can't wait to get this activated, but AT&T doesn't want to help me with it ... SO, I need to get to T-Mobile, I guess. sigh.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I went from a Pre Classic to the Iphone 4s, thought I'd hate it, and have been very pleased with it. The hardware is solid, the interface is simple (compared to Android), the apps are plentiful, the display is gorgeous, and Siri is very handy.

Yes, I can't swipe but once you learn Ios the multi tasking is fairly easy (much easier than Android imo)

I think that, once I jailbreak it, I will like it even more. If all things were equal (hardware, app selection, etc) I would have stayed with Webos but unfortunately they are not so here I am.

Give Ios a try and see if you like it. It certainly beats waiting and hoping for Webos to recover from the HP induced coma while on life support.
    I used to believe in HP
    emjayess likes this.
    I, fairly recently made the journey in the opposite direction. (FYI, i finally received a unit that didn't keep restarting..at least it hasn't restarted in 18 hours, knock-on-wood).

Disclaimer: I am an Apple ******. (and am coming to the Pre2 from the 3GS)

WebOS is a great OS, the design rivals Apple's iOS very well. The hardware feels mediocre (maybe I say this cause my first unit as a lemon?). But the hardware feels "cheap" in my hand. I like the dimensions and weight, but i'm not sure if i like the physical keyboard slidein and slideout (as with any mechanical component, it will weaken with time).

I really enjoy using WebOS on the OS level, it is better than anything else out there.

But, we buy products, not software or hardware. Products. That entails hardware, software, services and support.

And WebOS is lagging far behind in content... app, music, movie, book stores.

Making the journey from iOS to WebOS also brought to my attention how much i used and appreciated iTunes. Having a single windowed application on my computer to manage my device is invaluable IMHO. (I still havent figured out how to create playlists for the Pre2).

I am a techie, and i have the patience to putz around and find solutions to problems, navigate file systems, convert media, etc. But it is a hassle, and i cannot imagine any end users capable of doing it.

WebOS is a gold mine. But Palm/HP needs to round out the package with content and a desktop manager app.

Simple things like making playlists, syncing bookmarks, contacts and calendars, etc...turn out to be chores(for the first time anyway). And the content just isn't there and there's where HP needs to focus if it wants to make WebOS a consumer success (and i'm not talking quantity, i'm taking about securing the top 50 apps that people want).
    Last edited by hawkeye_a; 11/18/2011 at 07:19 PM.
    emjayess and treodoc755 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2455 View Post
    Do the pre- -> pre 2 conversion. You won't regret it. No contract and no fee.

I'm leaning away from the iPhone and may do another Pre 2. Who cares that my grandkids can't facetime me? That's what my wife's iPhone and iPad are for. Yeah.
    I did do this and it worked great for a while, but eventually the screen kept freezing and it would turn off on it's own. It was unusable. I've had my Pre overclocked for almost 2 years, but with the 2.1 os I think it was just too much for the processor. I had no choice but to downgrade back to 1.4.5(i think thats right) and it started working again. I still have it overclocked, but not as much and I hate to say it, but just in the last few days my screen has been freezing again...I don't know what to do now. I guess i could doctor it again and see if that will give her some more life, but I feel like I'm getting left behind and frustrated with the lack of features and speed.

I have been doing lots of research on the iphone 4s...yes, I can't believe I am even admitting to that. I will not stray from Sprint and all their Android platform phones are humongous...I have a TouchPad I don't need another one, ya know? Unfortunately for all Sprint enthusiasts the phone choices are minimal and I don't see anything interesting coming out anytime soon...does anyone know something I don't?

It's an impossible situation...I love webOS and the thought of losing it breaks my heart. I don't want to swipe at nothing, or make 5 taps for something I can swipe to do now...I'll miss the cards...i'll miss the patches, themes, homegrown apps. and most of all the free tether. I don't want to pay an extra $30 for hotspot, but I need it for my TouchPad. I am hoping there will be a jailbreak for i0s 5.01 that will enable free tethering, and then maybe I'll have to do the switch.

If anyone knows of anything good coming to Sprint sometime in the next couple months, or a device that has stolen some of the synergy or other webOS ish functions please let me know. I would hate to buy a phone and be stuck in a 2 year contract when something I'd like much more is coming. Also, isn't it possible to pay $99 monthly at Sprint and have the ability to upgrade your device in 12 months instead of 22? I'll have to look into that...thanks for reading my babbling sad story and good luck to all of you in my position.
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I don't see the dilemma here. Pre2. Why settle for a device you don't like just because others do? Stick with the OS you enjoy. I realize that someday I will be facing the same issue. I already know what direction I am going to take.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    interested in what you will do...get a Pre3? If I didn't have to switch to crazy overpriced Verizon to get the Pre2, I would. But I would be paying about $45 more a month for exactly what i have now...So, let us know, whatcha gonna do after the Pre2.
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_a View Post
    I, fairly recently made the journey in the opposite direction. (FYI, i finally received a unit that didn't keep restarting..at least it hasn't restarted in 18 hours, knock-on-wood).

Disclaimer: I am an Apple ******. (and am coming to the Pre2 from the 3GS)

WebOS is a great OS, the design rivals Apple's iOS very well. The hardware feels mediocre (maybe I say this cause my first unit as a lemon?). But the hardware feels "cheap" in my hand. I like the dimensions and weight, but i'm not sure if i like the physical keyboard slidein and slideout (as with any mechanical component, it will weaken with time).

I really enjoy using WebOS on the OS level, it is better than anything else out there.

But, we buy products, not software or hardware. Products. That entails hardware, software, services and support.

And WebOS is lagging far behind in content... app, music, movie, book stores.

Making the journey from iOS to WebOS also brought to my attention how much i used and appreciated iTunes. Having a single windowed application on my computer to manage my device is invaluable IMHO. (I still havent figured out how to create playlists for the Pre2).

I am a techie, and i have the patience to putz around and find solutions to problems, navigate file systems, convert media, etc. But it is a hassle, and i cannot imagine any end users capable of doing it.

WebOS is a gold mine. But Palm/HP needs to round out the package with content and a desktop manager app.

Simple things like making playlists, syncing bookmarks, contacts and calendars, etc...turn out to be chores(for the first time anyway). And the content just isn't there and there's where HP needs to focus if it wants to make WebOS a consumer success (and i'm not talking quantity, i'm taking about securing the top 50 apps that people want).
    I think people use use 3rd party software like Songbird for the playlists. Another choice is to use an app like Music Remix which makes playlists on the phone itself. I just use Music Remix and end up having slightly different playlists on my phone than on my computer which is fine for me as the phone music is only a subset of my computer stuff anyway.

For calendar, I use google calendar and then put the ubercalendar patch on it from Preware.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Do it.
    I ended up drinking the android kool-aid and there have been no real problems with the transition. Went from pre2 (franken pre) to a used nexus s 4g. Webos is very easy to navigate and multitasking is easier, but the apps available make the "smartphone" so much more useful. Android is different, but IMO not worse than webos. Plus, with the nexus, I should be getting ICS sooner rather than later which will make me miss webos even less. I just could not play HPs stupid games anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I ended up drinking the android kool-aid and there have been no real problems with the transition. Went from pre2 (franken pre) to a used nexus s 4g. Webos is very easy to navigate and multitasking is easier, but the apps available make the "smartphone" so much more useful. Android is different, but IMO not worse than webos. Plus, with the nexus, I should be getting ICS sooner rather than later which will make me miss webos even less. I just could not play HPs stupid games anymore.
    I hear you,I've still got my pre2 but couldn't be rsd with waiting for the games to end. Who knows in the coming months/years there may be new webOS devices made. But I wouldn't hold one's breath.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE using Tapatalk.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12