1.    #1  
    Hi all. My first real post here. For clarity, I'd better mention I'm in the UK. I got my first WebOS device this week, a Pre 2, to toy around with, and I really love the experience so far.

My one and only gripe is an inability to play the BBC's live stream .asx files, especially since there's no FM radio. I installed Preware and hunted around for a solution there. MPlayer seemed like a good bet, but on attempting to play the file it just crashed. The BeebListen app mentioned in an earlier post (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...radio-app.html) seems to have disappeared, and I'm having serious issues with the App Catalogue not accepting my debit card (four phone calls back and forth with my bank later, and still no joy!) so I can't try Reciva or any of the paid apps. The BBC's feed being so locked down, it seems a shame. Especially since the browser has Flash!

What else have I tried? I've attempted both the Debian and Ubuntu chroots, but they both return DBus errors when I attempt anything more complex than LXDE (I'm told this is an issue with upstart? It may be worth trying a pre-upstart build of Debian), and even then I can't get the sound working. I know it's all a lot to be asking of a tiny little bit of hardware, but from what I've seen so far the Pre 2 is a mighty little thing.

So yes. I'd love any suggestions for fixing that. I'd seriously consider making the Pre my primary device if I could get the radio working. I don't mind getting my fingers dirty; I've been a Linux user for 5 years and roughly know my way around.

If anything, I thought this post might help others with their travails, and I'll update you all on any progress I make in getting this working.

Many thanks, Joe.
    Check into an app called TuneIn by RadioTime. It's basically an app that pulls in streaming audio from the web. I have it primarily for listening to sports and putting Radio Disney on for the kids in the car, but I just checked and they do have non-US radio options that include the BBC. Whether it's the exact stream you're looking for, I can't be sure.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Check into an app called TuneIn by RadioTime. It's basically an app that pulls in streaming audio from the web. I have it primarily for listening to sports and putting Radio Disney on for the kids in the car, but I just checked and they do have non-US radio options that include the BBC. Whether it's the exact stream you're looking for, I can't be sure.
    I do have TuneIn, but they only have the World Service stream. The national radio stations are all either in flash format or .asx streams, alas. But thanks!
  4.    #4  
    I should also say they do have the regular weekly podcasts too, for anyone who's interested.
    Reciva is what you need,or UK radio.They both work very well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE using tapatalk
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  6.    #6  
    5 sisters, it looks like you're right on that score. Now, if only I can get the billing sorted. Do HP have a customer support number for this type of problem? Every time I try to register a card - cards that work fine for other things - App Catalog refuses it and the bank thinks it's fraudulent.
    I've pm'd you with some help and advice.

Pre|central Peacekeepers
  8.    #8  
    At long last I can confirm that Reciva works very well indeed now billing's fixed. Just my bank being odd. Many thanks! I'll post more if I find a way of getting it working under chroot, just for curiosity purposes.
    Last edited by joeblurton; 11/16/2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added detail on resolution
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblurton View Post
    At long last I can confirm that Reciva works very well indeed now billing's fixed. Just my bank being odd. Many thanks! I'll post more if I find a way of getting it working under chroot, just for curiosity purposes.
    Hi Joe. Glad you like Reciva . I'm the developer (and coincidently of UKRadio). Please can you share with me what the help and advice was. I often get support emails saying they can't buy my app as their card is rejected. I would like to give them advice of how to resolve with their bank that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    I've pm'd you with some help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblurton View Post
    I've PM'd you both with an explanation of why it would be useful for me to know, I would very much appreciate a reply. Thank you in advance.
    @joeblurton.... can you please reply to post #9? Thanks
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    @joeblurton.... can you please reply to post #9? Thanks
    Sorry, extended leave of absence in Android-land. I have PM'd the developer and basically affirmed that it was a problem with the payment to HP's base in Ireland that my bank assumed was fraudulent. A little bit of patience finally rectified it.