Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree5Likes
  1. 27
    27 is offline
    27's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
       #1  
    Seeing as HP have not released any new software for the Pre 2 and WebOS may or may not have a future, I decided to see what was good out there.

    I'm looking at iPhone 4S, 4 and 3GS and have come to believe that if I got a 3GS (which is 2 years old), I wouldn't miss any of the Pre 2's apps or features.

    Does anyone believe that Pre 2 is a better phone than the 3GS?
  2. #2  
    Pre2 is a better phone than all of them, not even in the same league
  3. 27
    27 is offline
    27's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
       #3  
    How so?
  4. #4  
    Because the ipone is still using the same tire software/Os from the original iphone patched up here and there with every release but not quite matching real modern software built from the ground up. So that almost everything you want to do takes more steps than you are used to with webos.

    But if there is some app that iphone has that you need than by all means get it. Other than that is see no reason other than to say you have an iphone
  5. 27
    27 is offline
    27's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Because the ipone is still using the same tire software/Os from the original iphone patched up here and there with every release but not quite matching real modern software built from the ground up. So that almost everything you want to do takes more steps than you are used to with webos.

    But if there is some app that iphone has that you need than by all means get it. Other than that is see no reason other than to say you have an iphone
    Having said that, Apple relase updated software with bug fixes and new features every few months.
    With my Pre 2, I have issues that were reported by users of the original Pre (which was released before the Pre+) and these have not been resolved by HP/Palm.

    The gulf in availability of apps is another issue.
  6. #6  
    If only they could be stitched together!

    Sent from my Sensation XE using tapatalk
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  7. #7  
    If you talking about getting a 3Gs then you must going at&t. In that case why not just get it and try it out. You can always return it before the trial period.
  8. 27
    27 is offline
    27's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    If you talking about getting a 3Gs then you must going at&t. In that case why not just get it and try it out. You can always return it before the trial period.
    Not so.
    I'm in the UK.
    I've had the original iPhone and iPhone 3g before I used the Xperia X10i on Android.
    From there I went with the Pre+ and now Pre 2.
  9. #9  
    I see no advantage for you to go to 3Gs at this point. Why not wait til next year, I suspect that they will have new software and hardware to offer with the iphone5. My girlfriend has a 3Gs and I feel sorry for her, pre2 runs circles around that thing.
  10. #10  
    Isn't the 3Gs the one with no flash (camera) and no flash (video) and no front camera on top of the most archaic software on a smart phone. I think you should just wait or at least get the 4s
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Isn't the 3Gs the one with no flash (camera) and no flash (video) and no front camera on top of the most archaic software on a smart phone. I think you should just wait or at least get the 4s
    Does any iPhone support Adobe Flash?

    I had a Pre+, currently have a Pre2, Pre3 and iPhone 3G. Pre+ is on par with the 3G, Pre2 beats it hands down.

    I've played with the 4s and don't see how you can compare them. Maybe you can compare the 4s to the Pre3, but unless you're married to a slider/physical keyboard I think the 4s is still going to win on most metrics.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcimino View Post
    Does any iPhone support Adobe Flash?

    I had a Pre+, currently have a Pre2, Pre3 and iPhone 3G. Pre+ is on par with the 3G, Pre2 beats it hands down.

    I've played with the 4s and don't see how you can compare them. Maybe you can compare the 4s to the Pre3, but unless you're married to a slider/physical keyboard I think the 4s is still going to win on most metrics.
    What metrics would you say the 4s wins on compared to pre2?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What metrics would you say the 4s wins on compared to pre2?
    Speed .. camera .. apps .. storage .. Siri ... battery life .. need I go on? I don't think you'll find too many people who wouldn't say the 4s wins over the Pre2. You could make an argument for the Pre3.

    What it comes down to is a matter of preference. As I said in another thread, I was actually planning to buy a 4s when my VZW contract is up in December. I ultimately decided to get a Pre2 from eBay to save money and preserve my upgrade. I have a tablet that I carry everywhere, so I don't need an expensive phone with a gazillion apps available. I love webOS and have chosen to stay in the ecosystem to see what happens next!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post
    Seeing as HP have not released any new software for the Pre 2 and WebOS may or may not have a future, I decided to see what was good out there.

    I'm looking at iPhone 4S, 4 and 3GS and have come to believe that if I got a 3GS (which is 2 years old), I wouldn't miss any of the Pre 2's apps or features.

    Does anyone believe that Pre 2 is a better phone than the 3GS?
    I've been using a Pre 2 since March, & it's great, but I plan on upgrading to the 4s real soon. The Pre 2 is a solid phone, but I am startling to get bored with it. I haven't seen many new apps on it in a while, (most of the new webOS apps are being released on the TouchPad).

    I can only recommend a Pre 2 for someone who specifically wants a webOS device. I'd recommend it over a 3gs (because it's a newer device), but I can't recommend a Pre 2 over an iPhone 4 or 4s. If you are on a tight budget, and need a free phone, than go with the 3gs; otherwise, get a 4/4s.

    When I upgrade to the the 4s, the main things I'll miss are synergy & card multitasking, but IMO, it worth the trade-off for the endless app selection of iOS.
  15. #15  
    I'll say they are both great OS's and when it comes down to personal preference to each his own , I prefer WebOS for the true multitasking aspect ... I do ebay alot and have 6 or 10 browers up watching all the listings ready to "ninja" them...so it works for (me) but iOS is also really polished and looks nice so id say choose the one that you feel most comfortable with and the one that will keep you going for the next several years.
  16. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #16  
    Pre2 is nowhere near 3GS. You would be making a mistake.
    The "4" series may be better depending on your needs. If it is Apps then go for it. But notifications, synergy, real multitasking etc are things you are not going to find in the iOS. Siri is useless (IMHO) and not a factor to think about. Smoothness, speed, camera etc may lead you to the "4" series. As I said, it depends on your needs.
    But no 3GS, inferior than the Pre2.
  17. #17  
    All this talk about an iphone, any iphone being better than a pre2 is reaching a bit. I don't see how any phone that's harder to use can be better, sorry.
  18. brendu's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Pre2 is nowhere near 3GS. You would be making a mistake.
    The "4" series may be better depending on your needs. If it is Apps then go for it. But notifications, synergy, real multitasking etc are things you are not going to find in the iOS. Siri is useless (IMHO) and not a factor to think about. Smoothness, speed, camera etc may lead you to the "4" series. As I said, it depends on your needs.
    But no 3GS, inferior than the Pre2.
    I used to think like you but iOS 5 is excellent. Siri is very useful and aside from multitasking (which works fine in its but is prettier in webos) iOS wins almost everywhere now since webos hasn't changed much at all in 2 years. I cloud is great too. Last thing to consider regarding iPhone 3GS to pre2: the 3GS came out at the same time as the pre- and runs ios5 smoothly. The pre- hasn't seen an upgrade to webOS 2.0. Apple is a better company and a safer bet.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    All this talk about an iphone, any iphone being better than a pre2 is reaching a bit. I don't see how any phone that's harder to use can be better, sorry.
    As someone who has had and extensively used a Pre-, Pixi-, Veer, and now an iPhone 4s, there is no way on God's green earth that you can honestly say that the Pre 2 is a better overall phone than the iPhone 4 or 4s. Whether your talking build quality, OS polish, camera, web browsing, battery life, app market, continued bug fixes, and most importantly the fact that its not owned by a brain dead corporation like HP!

    WebOS is great! Don't get me wrong, I love it! And I miss certain things about my Veer, but the current state of WebOS is so darn buggy. It could be sooooo much better, and without any argument be the hands down best mobile operating system. It only makes me more and more mad when I see what WebOS could have been under HP.

    But as it is, there is no argument whatsoever in my opinion you could make to say that the Veer or Pre3 is better than the iPhone 4 or 4s.
    dignitary likes this.
  20. #20  
    Well it depends on what one looks for when deciding what is better.

    For me its how easy it is to do what I need to do, like going back which is what I do the most. The effort to do the simpliest things like bluetooth on an iphone is just crazy.

    Iphone is like IE browser, very popular but not as easy as opera. Sometimes I am forced to use IE because opera is not supported and the user experience just sucks.
    drahgon likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions