Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm using a Pre+ on Verizon and don't really have the option to switch to another carrier. This essentially leaves me out of switching to a Pre3. I've been planning to switch to an iPhone 4s in December when my contract is up, but it occurred to me recently that since I got my iPad2 I really don't use my phone for much other than doing a quick email, Google search, taking a picture ... basically simple stuff that doesn't require a big fancy phone or a bunch of apps. So, I'm thinking that an iPhone 4s (and its $199 price tag) in addition to the iPad2 may be a bit of overkill. I might be better off getting a smaller phone that costs less. Thus .. I'm thinking of upgrading from the Pre+ to the Pre2.

Some questions:

-Does it make sense to buy a somewhat outdated phone at all? I know this is a judgement call, but give me your opinion.

-What's a good price on eBay for a new Pre2? What about used? I really don't know what these things are going for and don't want to overpay.

-I've read multiple people on here talk about how the stock Pre2 is faster/smoother than an overclocked Pre+. Do most of you overclock your Pre2 or is it just not necessary?

-Does the front of the Pre2 have gorilla glass or something like it? Will I need a case to protect the screen from scratches like I do on the Pre+?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by smmullen; 11/10/2011 at 12:30 PM.
    -Does it make sense to buy a somewhat outdated phone at all? I know this is a judgement call, but give me your opinion.

If you like the form factor of Pre -, Pre 2 just rocks even more. It has 1Ghz processor, not outdated by any mean

-What's a good price on eBay for a new Pre2? What about used? I really don't know what these things are going for and don't want to overpay.

if you can get it for around 100 bucks, I think it is a good deal

-I've read multiple people on here talk about how the stock Pre2 is faster/smoother than an overclocked Pre+. Do most of you overclock your Pre2 or is it just not necessary?

I didn't need to overclocked my pre2 when I had it. You don't need it

-Does the front of the Pre2 have gorilla glass or something like it? Will I need a case to protect the screen from scratches like I do on the Pre+?

Yes, gorilla Glass. You don't need a case
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the thorough reply, runbenfan! I still haven't 100% made my decision, but I'm leaning toward the Pre2. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $100 for it, though ... that's the problem. I assumed they would have dropped further than that by now. If I could get a good one (perhaps used) for $75 that may make my decision easier. That may require some hunting on eBay, but I'm willing to do that.

If anyone is looking to sell theirs, I'm willing to talk about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Thanks for the thorough reply, runbenfan! I still haven't 100% made my decision, but I'm leaning toward the Pre2. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $100 for it, though ... that's the problem. I assumed they would have dropped further than that by now. If I could get a good one (perhaps used) for $75 that may make my decision easier. That may require some hunting on eBay, but I'm willing to do that.

If anyone is looking to sell theirs, I'm willing to talk about it!
    You are not willing to spend $100 bucks on a good smart phone off contract ? whatever
    ananimus likes this.
    Does it make sense to buy a somewhat outdated phone at all? I know this is a judgement call, but give me your opinion.
    My opinion is a bit skewed as I have had a webOS phone since the pre- and am continuing with the franken pre2. I don't find my phone out dated. I feel like it can still keep up with all my friend's phones and fulfill the same functions. The ony thing it is missing as we all know is the vast amount of apps available on other OS.

I would suspect $100 dollars. I got mine used from a frinend for $100 and so far do not regret a penny spent.

Coming from the pre- which was overclocked I have not felt the need or desire to overclock my pre2. I may still later. Overall the speed is great and lag is very minimal. If I overclock it later it won't be because I need to.

The screen is gorilla glass and it is beautiful. The overall feel is better than before and the led light is much better than the physical button where I came from. I don't have a screen protector as I don't want to cover the beautiful screen. I am not sure on the details of scatch resistance, I just try my best to minimize the chances.

Good Luck!
    It does if you're both being cheap and a fan of the "outdated" phone you're buying.

<soapbox>Above you suggest that $100 is too much for an off-contract device. This thing is an always-connected phone/camera/computer that fits in your pocket! That you can get it for a Benjamin without any obligation is amazing. The more popular smartphones get, the more I wonder at how little everyone thinks these things "should" cost. </soapbox>

But getting back to it, the no-contract part is important since, yes, the ecosystem may be dying and that's a serious concern. But the price is cheap as it is, and you won't be using your phone upgrade if you buy one on the side from eBay or the like. When you grow tired of your Pre 2 or if it becomes completely unsupported, you're free to get something brand new from VZW direct with their subsidy. So a no-obligation smartphone that should easily last another year is a pretty safe hedge.

At any rate, you're completely right as this is a "judgement call." It depends only on what you consider a value and what you can spend.

I'm kinda poor, so I play it cheap. But I know a $100 Pre 2 is a good value, so I did it and only wished I'd done it sooner!

For just the phone I think they're averaging $120 still. I got a used one on craigslist for $80 for my FrankenPre2 that was like new.

I would say overclocking isn't necessary. That seems to be the consensus for all but the hardest of the hardcore.

The screen is tough Gorilla Glass. Hard to scratch, but still might want a case if you drop it a lot.
    rubenfan likes this.
    I've owned the Pre 2 for a couple months now, upgrading from the Pre Plus on Verizon. I have no problem being under contract, as I've been with Verizon for a long time, and don't plan to go anywhere else.

My take? The Pre 2 is what the Pre should have been in the first release. The build quality is that much better.

Agreed that overclocking isn't necessary but a big thing that it does is to add Screenstate, which adds greatly to battery life. I could get just over 2 hrs listening to online radio with the Pre +. The 2 will do over 3 hours.

Glad I got one to extend my WebOs experience. Take Care
    ananimus likes this.
    I upgraded from the Pre Plus to the Pre 2 on Verizon in August, and I say DO IT. :-) I loved my Pre Plus but I loooooove my Pre 2. I haven't overclocked yet - haven't felt the need. The only thing I was sorry to give up on the Plus was the free Mobile Hotspot, but then I found out about Freetether, and I was all set. Regarding a case, I just use the pouch that came with the Plus, though half the time I just put it in my pocket. The Pre 2 feels solid in a way the Plus never quite did, and I like the keyboard better too. Honestly I can't think of a thing I liked about the Plus that the Pre 2 doesn't do better. Go for it!

Katie
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Just received a Verizon Pre2 that I will have Sprintified soon. Sprint's doing away with our family's upgrade eligibility until Jan 2013(!) was the deciding factor. I found this phone on eBay for $154, but it included a touchstone, extra battery, and separate battery charger. Now I'll be able to stay webOS for a while.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Is it possible to buy someone else's Sprint Franken Pre 2 if they doctor it and switch their account and phone number to a different phone? Thanks!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Is it possible to buy someone else's Sprint Franken Pre 2 if they doctor it and switch their account and phone number to a different phone? Thanks!
    I actually saw a Frankenpre on eBay yesterday. It might still be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    I may be mistaken, but if you want to continue using it on Sprint with another account, I believe you have to swap the comm board back into a Sprint Pre to activate it. If so, not easy work. It'd be less work doing one from scratch in that case (but maybe you can find cheaper hardware that way?).
  13.    #13  
    I got one this morning on eBay! I got over my initial sticker shock and got a Pre2 that the seller described as having a perfect screen and no obvious scratches on the body. It cost me $110 shipped. It also included two Touchstones (don't really need them - I have five or six now), two car chargers (again, unneeded), an extra battery (always handy) and three screen protectors. Not a bad deal, I think. I expect to receive it on Wednesday. I can't wait!!!
    ananimus likes this.
    Sticker shock?

I just bought my second Palm Pre 2 unlocked phone to be used on t-mobile.

Personally, Web OS may be dead but it is still the finest mobile OS on the market. For me the Palm Pre 2 unlocked is everything I want in a phone.

#1) I have all the smartphone options without contract.

2.) I don't need internet so having unlocked with tmobile is fantastic (i'm in wifi all day).

3.) It's fast as hell and all the apps you really need work on 2.0+.

4.) I love the form factor. To this day I think the simplistic beauty of no buttons, the slider with the keyboard, and the size is the perfect phone.

I don't want a giant screened phone. I want to be able to put it in my pocket with no problems. I hate hate hate touch screen keyboards.

To me the Palm Pre 2 is the best phone for me, and I only paid $105.00 for it. For an unlocked phone that is an awesome deal period.
    Looking to possibly (probably) throw down for a Pre2 from my still working, but upgrade eligible Pre +. I'm curious about the software selection for the Pre2 as compared to the Plus.

Not looking for the things most complain about (I'm not a fan of watching movies on my phone. "Fruit Ninja", whatever!). But are there still app updates coming out for the Pre2 or are they all for the Touchpad. I see precious little as of late for my Pre+.

Everyone seems to agree that the hardware is worthy of the upgrade if you like the form factor...which I do. And unless ICS can REALLY blows me away, I'd be content to roll with my beloved Pre for another 2 years.

Even with bigger screens and the many apps, I've not been at all seduced by Android. So no need for trolls to tell me I'm crazy for looking a Pre2

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Looking to possibly (probably) throw down for a Pre2 from my still working, but upgrade eligible Pre +. I'm curious about the software selection for the Pre2 as compared to the Plus.

Not looking for the things most complain about (I'm not a fan of watching movies on my phone. "Fruit Ninja", whatever!). But are there still app updates coming out for the Pre2 or are they all for the Touchpad. I see precious little as of late for my Pre+.

C
    This is because your Pre+ does not have 2.x app catalog access. Not saying they are coming at a crazy rate but I still see updates on my Pre3.

I would say most developers aren't working too much on 1.x development in general... not saying all devs, but 1.x is pretty old hardware and firmware at this point.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Guys what about the Voice call quality of Pre 2? Is it better than Pre + or just same?

Also when using the included headset to make calls dose you hear your voice when talking like the Pre +?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    At least 20 apps updated in the last 2 days on my Pre2 .. 18 on my Pre- ..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    This is very helpful. I am desperately in need of a new phone and love my Pre. Part of me is willing to give the other side a try re: software, but I don't want a big brick w/o keyboard. The Pre is the perfect size, shape and form (love the pull down keyboard) but it seems odd getting a Pre 2 at this point.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I upgraded to the Pre2 back in July. It cost me $4.99 to upgrade with a 2 year contract. I added a new touchstone for $3.49 and have really enjoyed staying with my WebOS phone. I had gone through 6 Pre+ in the year before. I haven't had to doctor the Pre2 yet. The only negative was that when google maps was shut down, the new Bing maps doesn't work as well. Since I still have programs that need to use Classic, the Pre2 was my only option and so far a good one.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast