1.    #1  
    Hi. As I am now a Pre3 owner I decided to e-bay my Pre2. Sold it to a guy in the UK (where I am) and he cannot access the phone. The error is happening at the stage where profile details are entered with the error message as "sign in failure" and apparently it keeps referring to my old sim.

Before I sold the phone I did the full erase from within the phone, took out my sim and assumed the next owner would just need to go through activation again.

So, not sure of the options at this stage. I believe WebOS Doctor has been tried but not entirely sure if this failed, isnt possible or precisely what didn't work. how do you use the doctor if you have not activated the phone?

Is there any way to do a "factory reset" without being logged into the phone? i see various threads about bypassing activation, but this phone needs to be used as a normal phone and as i understand it, bypassing renders a lot of things unuseable.

I assume its something to do with the fact it has been activated before, but not sure what the issue is. or what needs to happen.

Thx in advance
    Last edited by Babylon6; 11/10/2011 at 06:54 AM.
    You could show him how to doctor it. Make sure they don't plug up the USB cable until its time.
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Tell him to doctor it.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    Apparently because the phone will not go past the Profile creation/log in stage, the phone is not recognisable to WebOS doctor.

Begs the question, how do you prep a second hand phone for sale?
    Last edited by Babylon6; 11/11/2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo
    put the device into restore mode "hold vol up and power" and you should be able to doc it no problems
  6.    #6  
    Too late. Phone on its way back for a refund. I guess I will use this advice and try again.
  7.    #7  
    So the phone is back with me. I managed to get WebOS Doctor to run by putting the phone into dev mode, getting into the desktop and from there it was fine. Now however, I am at the point reached by the buyer.

I cannot get past Profile creation. Regardless of whether I create, use existing, it just keeps saying "Profile Sign In Failed" and it suggests I contact Palm. the only thing I can think off is there is an issue with the serial number.
  8.    #8  
    resolved

I put the phone into dev mode and did a secure erase. Worked fine after that
    follow these instructions to activate without a carrier plan. The install preware for the first use patch to allow access to a palm profile. Then the buyer just has to activate on his carrier...

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon6 View Post
    So the phone is back with me. I managed to get WebOS Doctor to run by putting the phone into dev mode, getting into the desktop and from there it was fine. Now however, I am at the point reached by the buyer.

I cannot get past Profile creation. Regardless of whether I create, use existing, it just keeps saying "Profile Sign In Failed" and it suggests I contact Palm. the only thing I can think off is there is an issue with the serial number.
    I had the same problem with a verizon pre 2...when you are asked to sign in or create and account, you can click on the launcher to activate the phone first and then create your account with palm.
    is there a "first use patch" for Pre 2? In preware I can see the patches listed but says its not for ver 2 or above.