Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

With recent times being to say the least..not the best of times. I've just recommended a Pre2 as an upgrade for my younger sister. As a long WebOS fan from Pre > Pre+ > Pre3 I love WebOS and all its features (and faults) but seriously have I made a bad choice recommending a pre2??

I did state briefly the drawbacks but looking at where we are going what have I done? I will stay aboard just like the band on the Titanic film (The best bit of the Film) but should I have dragged a sibling down too?? Its not a question I can answer myself so please WebOS community let me know if I've done right or wrong...
    I think she'll be fine.

We'd probably need to know some more info about her and her usage needs/patterns to know if it was a "bad" recommendation. You already know both her and webOS though, so you're judgement on this is likely better than ours on this anyway.
    If she is not an apps person and is capable of getting in to homebrew, it's a reasonable option.
  4.    #4  
    Well I said (as a homebrew user myself) I would set her up for homebrew straight away (preware) myself and also as a web developer despite the effort would try my best to provide anything in-between that isn't available but this also raises the question is a WebOS phone still something to recommend??

Also I guess for the circumstances a 16 year old girl who likes the apps on my pre & pre+ (i.e. 3d gaming) a pre2 is a good recommendation just needed some valid feedback from other WebOS fans
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias89 View Post
    Well I said (as a homebrew user myself) I would set her up for homebrew straight away (preware) myself and also as a web developer despite the effort would try my best to provide anything in-between that isn't available but this also raises the question is a WebOS phone still something to recommend??

Also I guess for the circumstances a 16 year old girl who likes the apps on my pre & pre+ (i.e. 3d gaming) a pre2 is a good recommendation just needed some valid feedback from other WebOS fans
    Oh she's only 16? Done deal. The Pre2 will be just fine...especially if she already knows what's normally available on a Pre-/Pre+ and uses/likes it. It should be more than enough phone for her. Better that she doesn't have access/temptation to too many crap apps to waste money on anyway.
    Tell her to get the keyboard patch, its very good for just type and short texts
    My younger brother and his girlfriend both opted for Veers. Surprisingly, they decided against the iPhone as it was waaaay too common. The Veer is a sure standout amidst the brick-toting masses.

"Oh it's so cute! Which phone is that? HP? They still make phones?! Nice! <3"

And yes, the Pre 2 is a great phone, I just wish I checked the frequencies carefully first to make sure I can get 3G on it >_< oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Tell her to get the keyboard patch, its very good for just type and short texts
    What keyboard patch?

(ack sorry for second-posting, thought they would merge..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    What keyboard patch?

(ack sorry for second-posting, thought they would merge..)
    Install vk from this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/304844-patch-virtual-keyboard.html

I doesn't work with landscape yet, but it is very convenient not to have to open the slider to to type a few characters.
    Forget about a 16 year old, a pre2 is a great phone for anybody. But how many of her friends can have texts conversations in separate cards, videos playing minimized in a card, a free hotspot in their pocket? Have a physical keyboard and have the option to pull up a vk and fire away with just type. Don't forget spotify if you can afford it and a sexy lightbar for notifications.

What's not to like
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Forget about a 16 year old, a pre2 is a great phone for anybody. But how many of her friends can have texts conversations in separate cards, videos playing minimized in a card, a free hotspot in their pocket? Have a physical keyboard and have the option to pull up a vk and fire away with just type. Don't forget spotify if you can afford it and a sexy lightbar for notifications.

What's not to like
    You're talking about freetether? They don't give you mobile hotspot free anymore (like they did with Pre+ for Verizon), right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl.Pilkington View Post
    You're talking about freetether? They don't give you mobile hotspot free anymore (like they did with Pre+ for Verizon), right?
    Yes, I think laingman is referring to "freetether". And you are also correct, no more hotspot for free on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I really like my Pre2. I got it for no cost on my last New in Two promotion from Verizon. I really like stacks. It helps keep things so much more organized. I hope HP (or someone) continues producing WebOS phones. I guess we need to wait "in the coming weeks" to hear.