Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Palm Pre 2 (WebOS 2.1) that I want to take back to how it was when it came out of the box. I've futzed with it a bit - installing PreWare, patches, etc. It somehow got to the point where it will not alert me when an SMS is received and I'd like to go back to ground zero.

I did a full erase from Device Info app. Still same problem.

So I've been trying to use WebOS Doctor, however on the screen that says "Connect your phone directly to your computer......" it just sits there. The "Next" button stays grayed out.

I've tried connecting it when it's powered off (WebOS Doctor starts working, turns on the phone, then complains it's disconnected), I've tried having it just charge the battery (no action at all) and I've put it in USB drive mode (no action at all).

Any recommendations for 1) getting it into true out-of-the-box settings or 2) using WebOS Doctor specifically to accomplish that?

Thanks.

Jim
    turn phone off , plug in the computer end of usb cable into the computer , start the doctor and go through until it says connect phone, then while holding the volume up button down insert the cable to your phone until the large usb symbol pops up then the greyed out button should go away
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Two things need to happen..

1) What was mentioned already about the stark black and white logo which is not the same as the grey usb-drive logo.. the b&w one you get on a reboot while holding the volume down key closest to the power button. Don't worry about having the webosdoctor running beforehand, it won't matter.

2) The java environment you are using may be a problem. I have both sun java and icedtea or whatever installed on this older Ubuntu install, and the sun java one just freezes the doctor at 0% on connecting.. but the icedtea one goes all the way to successful completion.. so try opening it with a different java environment.

You'll have success don't worry.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all. Some progress - but not complete yet.

I get WebOS Doc to see the device. The process starts and I get to the point where there is the big down-arrow pointing to an integrated circuit (on the phone screen) but at 12% complete WebOS Dr. aborts.

I'm going through the Wiki page and looking at next steps - but if there are additional pointers (based on what I'm getting now) I'll take it. :-)

Thx.

Jim

EDIT: Since typing the above I've run WebOS Dr. from the command line. Things appear to start heading south here. A whole bunch of stuff happens after the text below, but it ends with "Flashing failed, move to filed card".

0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

<ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

Broken pipe
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream handleSock
    etException
    WARNING: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream handleSock
    etException
    java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readArray(PacketReader.java:37
    )
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readPacket(PacketReader.java:5
    1)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.read(PacketReader.java:80)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.read(NovacomSocketStrea
    m.java:108)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.readLine(NovacomBaseStrea
    m.java:42)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.BaseStage$StreamReaderThread.run(
    BaseStage.java:48)
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    Last edited by Haselsmasher; 11/06/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Try a different usb port and restart your computer beforehand. If that doesn't work, make sure novacom is installed right, use the package here: Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsmasher View Post
    Thanks all. Some progress - but not complete yet.

I get WebOS Doc to see the device. The process starts and I get to the point where there is the big down-arrow pointing to an integrated circuit (on the phone screen) but at 12% complete WebOS Dr. aborts.

I'm going through the Wiki page and looking at next steps - but if there are additional pointers (based on what I'm getting now) I'll take it. :-)

Thx.

Jim

EDIT: Since typing the above I've run WebOS Dr. from the command line. Things appear to start heading south here. A whole bunch of stuff happens after the text below, but it ends with "Flashing failed, move to filed card".

0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

<ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

Broken pipe
    etException
    etException
    java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readArray(PacketReader.java:37
    )
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readPacket(PacketReader.java:5
    1)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.read(PacketReader.java:80)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.read(NovacomSocketStrea
    m.java:108)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.readLine(NovacomBaseStrea
    m.java:42)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.BaseStage$StreamReaderThread.run(
    BaseStage.java:48)
    Nov 6, 2011 10:07:59 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    bad usb cable. I used one of the TP cables I have and went to webos doctor recovery commands. First time it got stuck @ 9%, then 2 times at 12%. Once I changed the usb cable everything went smooth. Was about to post that in the webos doctor recovery but was tired @ 2 am:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    bad usb cable. I used one of the TP cables I have and went to webos doctor recovery commands. First time it got stuck @ 9%, then 2 times at 12%. Once I changed the usb cable everything went smooth. Was about to post that in the webos doctor recovery but was tired @ 2 am:-)
    That's happened to, especially with loose USB ports where it looses connection.

just keep trying it will go through , or it should after a few tries
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    That's happened to, especially with loose USB ports where it looses connection.
    I used the same usb port on the PC side and for sure plugged it well on the phone side. And the TP cable is brand new. But who knows what happened when that started - it was friday night @ 11:30. Anyway he might get lucky with changing the cable and I was trying to save him an hour or two there. The same TP was used to transfer file in usb mode to TP and the pre 2 sp'I was happy it worked and it was last resort thing I did.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    just keep trying it will go through , or it should after a few tries
    Correct-a-mundo. Tried it using a different PC. First attempt: Same behavior as described above. Second attempt: Success. It's restored and up and running.

Thanks a bunch!

Jim
    Hello ALL, Long time member, but don't post alot. I have had major problems with my sprint franken pre conversion. I have manage to slowly resolve alot of issues. However, the doctor almost never recognizes the pre to get the next button to pop up.

Once I plug in I have to Right click usb In linux and then click on bootie palm 100 to get doctor to start which only works sometimes. However, when does work it always stops on 4% when I get to HP screen with "INFO: loading for Ramdisk: Waiting for device to come back."

Error pops up in terminal message real quick. Then it says Warning: "This device seems to have been unpluged." Doctor says phone disconnected press ok to try again. PLEASE HELP

Thanx
    It sounds like you're using the doctor from a linux machine? In windows, you should open up the start menu, select RUN, type in services.msc, scroll down to Palm Novacom and STOP, then START the process over again.

Then put your Pre into recovery mode as instructed here How To Recover - WebOS Internals, start the doctor and ONLY plug in your PRE into your PC when instructed to do so.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanks for the quick reply. Ok let me get this right. I have a widows 7 computer. Was doing the whole meta doctor through the virtual linux environment as instructed to do so in the wiki.

After I stop and restart nova com in windows do I go back to the lunix window or can I do it in windows. I had previously tried to start and stop novacom before as you suggested, but went back to the virtual window. Is the doctor supposed to start in windows? I've had the phone in recovery mode for the whole process.

I really appreciate the help.

I'm down a phone until I can get this figured out. Not trying to give up on Webos.

Robert
    I'm unfamilliar with the whole franken process, but I would guess once you restart Palm Novacom in Windows, you would go back into the virtual environment to complete the metadoctor. You might want to try starting another thread with a more specific title (FrankenPre Meta-Doctor won't recognize.....or something to that effect) and possibly start that thread in the webOS Internals forum.

Sorry I thought you were just talking about doing a normal Doctor, not meta.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    no you will have to run the doctor your self the same as always your just doing a memboot right ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    He's a doing a Franken Meta Doctor, not just normal webOS Doctor. That's why I told him to start a new thread, I'm not sure if it's the same or not.
    9 time out of ten when the phone is not recognized its one of two reasons . Novacom needs to be restarted or the usb port or cable is bad . That's all I know lol .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    what carrier are both of the pre - and pre 2 if the pre 2 is a vzw carrier version and you are using a sprint pre - scrap the meta dr and just restore using the vzw webos 2.1 stock dr after you swapped the active sprint pre - comm board but you must have sprint pre and vzw pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    what carrier are both of the pre - and pre 2 if the pre 2 is a vzw carrier version and you are using a sprint pre - scrap the meta dr and just restore using the vzw webos 2.1 stock dr after you swapped the active sprint pre - comm board but you must have sprint pre and vzw pre 2
    I have Verizon pre 2 and did a com board swap of a sprint pre. SO are you saying just use the verizon webos 2.1 stock dr. Will I have a problem connecting to sprint if I do this.

Do I have to do any additional steps after using stock verizon webos dr?

Finally got usb ports to work in VM to copy the jar file. I did that run in windows and boom I get past 4% only to get stuck at 12%. Do I have corrupt USB drive. How do I do the mem bootloader. Do I do it from windows, linux its not very clear where I start this at. I'm still usingn the sprint franken meta doctor that got stuck on 12%

novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

Robert

Thanks I've been at this for about 10 hours now. Off and on of course. I gotta go to work. I really appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by allmetz36; 11/12/2011 at 01:06 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast