1.    #1  
    Is anyone else to support me about that!!!???

Will there be an expert to bring back the Google Maps app???

I don't like Bing Maps.....the search engine is very bad in my case!!!!!!

Help!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    just search here in the forums, there is a very easy way to get an googlemaps ipk (install package) to get it installed besides hp maps (bing).

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Excellent, I'll do it now for recover my beloved app.......XD

My regards comrade!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Out of curiousity -- if you installed that patch, is Google Maps still dead post Nov 1, or, does this keep it working?

A few thoughts:
    -Those of us who were running *only* Google Maps found it dead / requiring an update
    -Trapster (uses Google Maps API) still runs ok

I'm guessing Google Maps is also dead, but, in the off-chance it isn't, I will probably install this patch (requires more retroactive steps).

Thanks
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Yes, I'm also wondering if google maps is still dead? I upgraded to 2.1.0. Then google maps was gone. I still can't believe they did that. The patch doesn't work for 2.1 correct? so should I go ahead and d/l crappy HP maps since I dont have a choice?
    If the app isn't dead already, when Google goes to the paid model for use of its Google Maps API starting Jan 1 the app will be dead anyway. The API key that HP/Palm had embedded into their app will go dark, and there's no way of patching around it, either.

HP/Palm are sure as hell not going to pay Google for access to their maps when they've clearly moved onto Bing already, so I don't see the point of all this work just to load an app that's going to die in less than two months.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/02/2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmdan95 View Post
    Yes, I'm also wondering if google maps is still dead? I upgraded to 2.1.0. Then google maps was gone. I still can't believe they did that. The patch doesn't work for 2.1 correct? so should I go ahead and d/l crappy HP maps since I dont have a choice?
    After the update that loaded BING and the corresponding problems, I deleted BING through the Software Manager, then got a 2.1 update notice which I ran and it re-loaded Google Maps. Just got another 2.1 noticed a week or so ago and ran it without seeing any changes (that I'm aware of) and still have Google Maps available ...
    Google Maps should still work if you reinstall it manually. It will probably go offline Jan 1st like more people have said. I guess we will find out New Years.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    BGF Maps seems to be working. Isn't that Google Map based?
    Art

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    For those who are confused:

Jan is when the Google maps service will charge - and only 0.35% of apps using it are expected to exceed the 25K / day cap on free use.

Jan is NOT when the API will go dark and it isn't dark now.

The url used by Google maps on the Pre phones was custom and may have been disabled by agreement between HP and Google - I'm not sure.

See this thread for more info: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...st-2011-a.html