Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wmurch3
    Global Posts
    539 Global Posts
    Frankenpreing a brand new pre 2 and the volume cable ripped in two. Fantastic. So depressed.

Guys I need cheering up
    theres a patch for that
    Can you pilfer the cable from your old phone? I didn't break a cable when I did mine, but I did lose the small round contact that the volume button connected with. I was able to pull one off my Pre- and replace it. I also had to pull the foam tape from the AT&T comm board and replace the worn out one on my Sprint board because the vibrate didn't work when I was done.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Global Posts
    539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Can you pilfer the cable from your old phone? I didn't break a cable when I did mine, but I did lose the small round contact that the volume button connected with. I was able to pull one off my Pre- and replace it. I also had to pull the foam tape from the AT&T comm board and replace the worn out one on my Sprint board because the vibrate didn't work when I was done.
    I could but I'd have to do some soddering which I'm a little scared to do
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    Guys I need cheering up
    You'll feel better, "In the coming weeks or months".
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    seriously isn't there a patch to put volume control in the menu?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As the others said, there is a patch in Preware that will add touchscreen volume controls. That should do the trick for you.
    Global Posts
    539 Global Posts
    Hmmm...that is good to know. Will I be able to complete the frankenpre process without being able to boot to recovery (without holding down volume up)?
    I think you need the volume button to doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    Hmmm...that is good to know. Will I be able to complete the frankenpre process without being able to boot to recovery (without holding down volume up)?
    I think that as long as your phone has dev mode enabled, you don't need the volume button in order to doctor. I remember using a meta-doctor on my old Pre- and I was able to run the doctor while the phone was booted up with dev mode enabled...once I started the doctor, the phone rebooted into the usb programming mode on its own.

Whatever you do though, DON'T interrupt the doctoring process once you start it, because if your phone ends up in a state where it can't boot up all the way for some reason, THAT is when you would probably need the volume up button trick.

You've got nothing to lose, so go for it. Just take your time and make sure everything is ready before you run the meta-doctor so that it goes through smoothly on that first shot.
    Last edited by sq5; 10/31/2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I think that as long as your phone has dev mode enabled, you don't need the volume button in order to doctor. I remember using a meta-doctor on my old Pre- and I was able to run the doctor while the phone was booted up with dev mode enabled...once I started the doctor, the phone rebooted into the usb programming mode on its own.

Whatever you do though, DON'T interrupt the doctoring process once you start it, because if your phone ends up in a state where it can't boot up all the way for some reason, THAT is when you would probably need the volume up button trick.

You've got nothing to lose, so go for it. Just take your time and make sure everything is ready before you run the meta-doctor so that it goes through smoothly on that first shot.
    I ended up just buying another cheap Pre 2. I am selling the other one for parts. After a day or so of emotional ups and downs I now have a beautiful frankenpre2. It works great!

I am going to sell the other one for parts because I don't have the time or inclination to fix it and I have already spent way too much time on this business.

So, all said and don't I will have spent $150 on my Pre2 which isn't too bad. Should make all that back on the Nexus S 4g that the Pre2 is replacing.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    You might want to check the marketplace forums, or search for some of the forum members that do frankenpre services. Some of them hang on to devices for spare parts, might find some interest there.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...