Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jnal
    So after grabbing a Touchpad during the firesale to play around with, it has somehow replaced my original iPad as my main tablet computer as I really like webos. Now I'm looking at a new phone to replace an HTC Thunderbolt. Though I like 4g I can't stand my phone dying every 4 hours.

I was looking at the Pre 3 for Verizon but the fact that none are under $400 dollars I decided to look at the slightly older Pre 2. I'm looking at other phones too, but just wanted to get opinions on wither the Pre 2 would be worth the trouble. I found a Pre 2 with a car charger and touchstone for $155 on ebay so I figured it might be worth it.
    iowahawk19 likes this.
    The Pre 2 is a nice phone. Just be warned that the screen size is 340x480, which is pretty low when compared to a Thunderbolt. Also, couldn't you sell that phone for a good price to help offset the cost of a Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    The Pre 2 is a nice phone. Just be warned that the screen size is 340x480, which is pretty low when compared to a Thunderbolt. Also, couldn't you sell that phone for a good price to help offset the cost of a Pre 3?
    I could probably do that as I have an original droid I could use until then, but I'm hoping that the Pre 3 will drop on ebay a bit. If it hits the 200-250 dollar mark like the AT&T version I would have no trouble doing it, but for me its a bit of sticker shock to pay 400 or 500 dollars or more for a phone wither I have the money to do it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnal View Post
    I could probably do that as I have an original droid I could use until then, but I'm hoping that the Pre 3 will drop on ebay a bit. If it hits the 200-250 dollar mark like the AT&T version I would have no trouble doing it, but for me its a bit of sticker shock to pay 400 or 500 dollars or more for a phone wither I have the money to do it or not.
    Agreed. I would pay $200 for the Pre3 in a heart beat. Problem is I think a lot of people would.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my Pre+ to a Pre2 soon. My wife just did from Pixi+ and really likes her new phone. Anything to keep webOS! I thought maybe with iOS5 I'd be able to switch and not feel heart ache but after trying it (on a borrowed iPod) I just can't. Too much back and forth/in and out of apps. Drives me nuts!
    I too have been using a firesale TP all the time, and was lucky enough to pick up a firesale Verizon Pre2. I thought I'd just use it to play around with or as a backup to my Samsung Fascinate, but I haven't looked back since activation. I really like the small form factor (though the screen resolution sucks, but it works well in sunlight), especially since I have my TP with my most of the day and use that for my non-PC web browsing. the keyboard is pretty good. freetether works seamlessly with the TP and has saved me a couple of times when I needed an internet connection and couldn't find one. I miss the google navigation and integration with google voice.
    Battery life on the Pre2 is ok, not great. But since I use the TP for most things, the phone is used mostly for calls, texts, some email, and music playing, and I have no problem getting through the day with it. I would recommend picking up a $5 battery - more for peace of mind than actually needing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    thought maybe with iOS5 I'd be able to switch and not feel heart ache but after trying it (on a borrowed iPod) I just can't. Too much back and forth/in and out of apps. Drives me nuts!
    I am looking at the 4s right now as well and I know a lot of people who have it and love it, but the next phone I get I plan on using it for the next 2 years. So I really want to make sure to get a phone that I will enjoy. I jumped on the Thunderbolt too quickly and now I'm paying for it. Also after going back to my original iPad with iOS 5 I agree that it is a lot of switching around back and forth between the apps.

I also can get around $350 for my phone at Best Buy because of buyback within the first 6 months so I have a lot a choices on what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    I too have been using a firesale TP all the time, and was lucky enough to pick up a firesale Verizon Pre2. I thought I'd just use it to play around with or as a backup to my Samsung Fascinate, but I haven't looked back since activation. I really like the small form factor (though the screen resolution sucks, but it works well in sunlight), especially since I have my TP with my most of the day and use that for my non-PC web browsing. the keyboard is pretty good. freetether works seamlessly with the TP and has saved me a couple of times when I needed an internet connection and couldn't find one. I miss the google navigation and integration with google voice.
    Battery life on the Pre2 is ok, not great. But since I use the TP for most things, the phone is used mostly for calls, texts, some email, and music playing, and I have no problem getting through the day with it. I would recommend picking up a $5 battery - more for peace of mind than actually needing it.

I looked and saw some batteries for the Pre 2 and if I do end up buying one I might grab one of the really large capacity batteries that still fit in the normal battery space. Also a quick question about freetether, with Verizon cracking down on tethering with Android will I have to pay for tethering on their network?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    freeTether is free as in freedom
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Yeah, so far they haven't come after webOS people using freeTether. I'm not sure if it's because webOS is too small a group for them to care vs. Android, or if freeTether tethering just appears as normal traffic on their end.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Pre 2 really is a fantastic phone. the webos software is perfect nice easy to use and get things done quickly. The screen is gorgeous. After using it for awhile the screen resolution wont bother one bit. its not that small. Its a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Pre 2 really is a fantastic phone. the webos software is perfect nice easy to use and get things done quickly. The screen is gorgeous. After using it for awhile the screen resolution wont bother one bit. its not that small. Its a great choice.
    What do you feel is an appropriate price for a new pre 2, I found one seller on ebay selling a pre 2 a car charger and touchstone for $155. It says the seller has over 10. Does this sound legit or is it to good to be true. If you haven't figured out, I'm a little new to webOS.
    i use freetether a lot. due to it being time to run the billing, I cant check exactly how much, but I have at least 4 or 5 co-workers that use it for surfing the web, checking email, playing words with friends or facebook throughout the day. I pretty much turn it on and leave it on for the bulk of the day.

been doing that since mid august, verizon hasn't said anything to me yet.
    Global Posts
    547 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnal View Post
    What do you feel is an appropriate price for a new pre 2, I found one seller on ebay selling a pre 2 a car charger and touchstone for $155. It says the seller has over 10. Does this sound legit or is it to good to be true. If you haven't figured out, I'm a little new to webOS.
    That's a decent price. Keep in mind though that touchstones are going for like 5 bucks new at amazon.com. I would recommend picking up a couple and mounting one in your car.