1.    #1  
    Hello yall.

Well I all but gave up on Web OS with the announcement HP made that Web OS was dead. BUT, I just got a brand new Palm Pre 2 unlocked for $20 while I was in China for business two weeks ago.

Now, I haven't activated the phone yet do to just getting home yesterday, but my question is do I have to have a data plan to get the phone to work at all?

I want to give this phone to my son but only for phone service and text messages. I don't want him having access to the internet for "teenager" reasons.

Is this possible with Web OS? I spoke to T-mobile and they said if I bring my own phone to the network that I don't have to pay for the data package. I just need to know if the phone will even work without a data package.

Can someone help Me?
  2.    #2  
    No one knows? Oh darn. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME! hA HA
    if you haven't activated it, you'll need data for that. Besides that the phone works fine. Just turn off data (dialer app, pulldown menu, preferences&accounts, data usage off). This won't stop him from getting WiFi access.
    ps. I would love to get a spare pre2 for $20 for testing.
  4.    #4  
    I greatly appreciate the response. I won't be going back to China for at least six months. Sorry Charlie!