webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > GMail account set up as Google Account vs. MS Exchange account
GMail account set up as Google Account vs. MS Exchange account
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By prolongExistence
  • 1 Post By MikeElmendorf

Old 10/25/2011, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Are there any fundamental differences between between the two? What is the difference between them and are there any reasons to set up a GMail email address with one over the other?

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
schlk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe 2.x is different but in 1.4.5, Exchange does not support HTML based mail so most of the mail you receive will look like crap. I'm not aware of any advantage to forcing it to set up as an Exchange account. When you set it up, doesn't it automatically create a Google account? I've had my gmail set up as a Google account since launch day and never had any problems/complaints.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
prolongExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some of the differences include:
  • EAS might use less power for push.
  • EAS contact/calendar updates are pushed in both directions. Non-EAS google only syncs contacts/calendars every 20 minutes.
  • Google EAS only supports a single calendar. Non-EAS google supports all calendars.
  • Deleting emails on Google EAS just archives them instead of going to the trash (if I remember correctly).
  • Setting it up as EAS won't include GTalk (instant messaging).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
Maybe 2.x is different but in 1.4.5, Exchange does not support HTML based mail so most of the mail you receive will look like crap.
That's only true for Exchange 2003 servers. Exchange 2007 servers (including Google EAS) display HTML fine.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post

That's only true for Exchange 2003 servers. Exchange 2007 servers (including Google EAS) display HTML fine.
Funny that you say that. My only experience with Exchange and webOS is when I attempted to use hotmail EAS instead of the standard hotmail account setup. I had no HTML support what so ever. I'm not doubting what you said, I just think its funny that Micro$oft is serving their mail clients on out dated versions of their own server software. Can't say I'm surprised, not much about M$ impresses me.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
prolongExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tobeaman likes this.
Old 10/26/2011, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ahh, I just noticed only one calendar syncs. And a Google account is automatically generated when hooked up as EAS. I just disabled the EAS calendar and synced the Google calendar instead.

Thanks!

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
schlk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have my Google calendar set up as Exchange. It gets around the rather slim time limit that it syncs as a Google account. Google contacts were buggy as Exchange, so I have contacts enabled on my regular Google account (which I needed for Google Docs to work).
MikeElmendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tobeaman likes this.
Old 02/09/2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just be sure, if you decide to go the Exchage route, that Google recognizes your password as being Strong (it will indicate this on the Change Password page).

I was banging my head against the wall trying to sync a Google Apps account using the MS Exchange setup on a Verizon Pre 2, but kept getting the "Your username and password are not correct." error. As it turned out, Google thought my password was "Weak". After changing it to a "Strong" password, everything synced great and I had much EAS joy.

I feel like I've come full circle:
HP Ipaq > Palm Pilot > Palm Pre (Sprint) > HPalm Pre 2 (VZW) and HP TouchPad
tobeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Help! New Palm Pre 3. Calendar issues (this new Verizon phone replaced an ATT phone, so these behaviors are different than with the ATT phone):

1. Palm Profile calendar would not allow input or updates. Oddly, the inputs would sometimes show up after a re-boot. After several times with the Doctor, Palm Profile calendar now works, however:

2. Google calendar: Shows my one owned calendar and several shared calendars. Shared calendars do not allow modification, only viewing.

3. Exchange Active Sync: shows only my one owned calendar, none of the shared calendars. I am a google Apps paying customer, so I do not think Google's recent changes to this would matter ( I thought that might have been the problem until I realized Palm Profile was not working either).

Thanks in advance for any insights!
ferglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

ive stuck primarily to gmail now, my hotmail account every so often either seems to "forget" the password or hotmail is somehow rejecting my touchpad/pre3 from logging in for a month or so until i change the password back to normal, ive not once had an issue with gmail so now ive just used teh mail redirection option in hotmail to forward all emails to my gmail account.

problem solved, 2 birds 1 stone.
Old 03/23/2013, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
Ahh, I just noticed only one calendar syncs. And a Google account is automatically generated when hooked up as EAS. I just disabled the EAS calendar and synced the Google calendar instead.

Thanks!
on my verizon pre3, only one google calendar shows up using exchange. the 3 shared calendars show up using the google account, but I cannot edit the shared calendars, only view them.

on my att pre3, all four calendars show up when connecting as exchange account and all can be modified.

the difference seems to be the carriers, as I tried a second Verizon Pre3 with the same results.

My memory is that the 4 calendars just worked on the Pre.
ferglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

now that Google's shut off EAS support for new users, there's no point in discussing anymore unless you've already set it up.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2013, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

So I recently had to get a new Pre 2 because I cracked the screen on my old one pretty bad. Now I can't seem to get my gmail to sync. If I delete the account and re add it then I get a partial sync (the first 40-50 emails in each folder) and what ever new emails are available are pulled into the phone but after I can't fetch anything older or any new emails. Does this have anything to do with the drop in EAS support? I have just a regular gmail account set up with IMAP so I don't think so , but I can't seem to figure out a solution. Any assistance would be appreciated.
yancem is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0