webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Yahoo email certificate issue
Yahoo email certificate issue

Old 10/25/2011, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Without changing anything, I started getting an alert on my Pre2 that there was a problem with the certificate for my Yahoo outgoing mail. I have had my Yahoo email set up as generic IMAP account because of the "cookie" problem when setting up using the Yahoo account setup. I've deleted the account, restarted, and reentered but still get the certificate error. I then tried setting it up using the Yahoo account setup, but get the old cookie error.

I've checked my Yahoo account online and it doesn't show any connections under Manage Apps and Website Connections, so there's nothing there I can delete to reset.

Any suggestions on how to fix?
LetsGoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Tell us the exact "certificate error" you are getting. Give us all the details you can. What cookie problem?

Is it related to this? http://www.precentral.net/workaround...ail-1299-error

Does using these settings fix the problem? http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3060511

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bdubos
Old 10/26/2011, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Same issue over here. Sadly, this may be the last straw. Thanks guys, but the suggested fixes don't work. FWIW, I'm on Sprint with a FrankenPre2.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

vzw pre 2 on 2.1 same problem
super frustrating. set it up as generic imap email, worked for a long time, stopped working this last week or so for outgoing mail only.
videogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
super frustrating. set it up as generic imap email, worked for a long time, stopped working this last week or so for outgoing mail only.
one thing I've found is that if the top email (most recent) has an enclosure on either my frankenpre2 or my TP, then it will stop syncing until I delete that email on my computer through yahoomail..
it may have been a coincidence, but I do remember reading something about random "character" incompatibilities with the top email causing your phone/touchpad to stop syncing
booyaNCtablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had the same issue start yesterday morning. I have a VZW Pre2 and this morning all of a sudden the issue went away. Maybe it was an issue on Yahoo's side that they resolved. Yahoo email has been a challenge on this phone from the get go which is so frustrating when your main email is on yahoo. Let's hope this sticks...
dki378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
Im on Sprint pre- running 2.1. I had this issue last week also, Incoming was fine but I cuoldnt send email.

I went into the account settings under "change login settings", then "Manual Setup" and re-entered my password for the outgoing mail only. It worked right after.

I know this is the Pre2 section but I hope it will help you out as well.

I am certain this is a 2.1 issue as this does not happen on version 1.4.5.

Last edited by delacro; 10/27/2011 at 10:13 AM.
delacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm on Verizon and my outgoing texts stop working as well and I've changed nothing this week. It must be something on the back-end that seemingly is only affecting Pre2's. Any ideas.

Just so I'm clear, when I send a text, it stays grayed out whereas in the past, it would turn yellow to confirm that it was sent.

http://twitter.com/#!/mpressive6
mpressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Still no luck. For those that have had the alert go away, have you been able to successfully send an email via Yahoo on your phone? Are you using the Yahoo setup or the IMAP setup for Yahoo and, if the latter, would you mind specifying what you entered for your outgoing email setup (may I have something setup wrong, although seems unlikely)? Thanks.
Old 10/27/2011, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I spoke too soon. I wasn't getting any certificate error notification but when I tried sending a test email out of yahoo, everything started up again. Sorry for providing false hope... this is so infuriating!
Old 10/27/2011, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Just did a full restart and my texts started coming thru. I do notice that when I send a text it doesn't change colors almost immediately like it did in the past. I think there is something going on with the back-end.

http://twitter.com/#!/mpressive6
mpressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
Tell us the exact "certificate error" you are getting. Give us all the details you can. What cookie problem?

Is it related to this? http://www.precentral.net/workaround...ail-1299-error

Does using these settings fix the problem? http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3060511
The error says "The server's security certificate is not a trusted certficate." I've been using the IMAP setup described in the article you linked to for some time now (to deal with the cookie alert problem I was having that others have experienced). I was having problems with Yahoo email a couple weeks ago which went away when I dropped "palm." from the in and out server address. I've tried putting the "palm." back in, but no luck.
Old 10/27/2011, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

same problem here, Sprint FrankenPre 2, only for yahoo outgoing mail.

luckily i mostly use gmail

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
neit_jnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 02:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Now I'm getting an alert that there's a problem with my Hotmail certificate! I have Hotmail setup using the Exchange server setup. This is getting ridiculous. If I lose my Hotmail calendar, that's it, I'll have to think about making a change, and I love my Pre2.
Old 10/27/2011, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

LetsGoRed, what error message are you getting specifically?

Also try checking that the date/time on your phone is correct, in particular the year.

If all else fails, try doctoring.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2011, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

The Hotmail certificate error seems to have gone away after I removed the account, restarted the phone, and put the account back. So crossing my fingers on that.

It looks like my phone's time and date are accurate.

The Yahoo related error message is "The server's security certificate is not a trusted certficate." I get it if I try to send an email from my Yahoo account. The email instead gets stuck in the outbox and I get that alert. If I go into the manual setup page for the email account for Yahoo, when I click the button to verify, it tells me it can verify the outgoing email server.
Old 10/27/2011, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are you using palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com or smtp.mail.yahoo.com? Try using the former.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2011, 06:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Has anyone doctored their phone and actually gotten this to go away? I'm at the point of trying this but don't want to go to the steps of restoring my phone if it's all for nothing. Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 10/28/2011, 08:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
Are you using palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com or smtp.mail.yahoo.com? Try using the former.
I was using the address without "palm.", tried adding the "palm." back, but no luck.
Old 10/31/2011, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

And now, seemingly without any connection to a change made by me, Yahoo is working again. Yahoo email has been the least consistent email on my Pre2. Hopefully this will be the last hiccup for a while. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and put up with my grumblings.

Out of curiousity, did others who were having problems have their Yahoo outbound email start working again?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0