1.    #1  
    Hi all. So my Sprint Pre- ribbon cable broke when I dropped the phone. I could still power it on... just had no display. I tried the tricks to try to get it mounted on my computer via USB, but nothing worked. I then bought an unlocked Pre 2 from eBay and was able to power it on and get the screen saying to install a SIM card.

I then followed the wiki on swapping comm boards. Everything seemed to go smoothly except now I get a battery icon with a big question mark in the middle. I've tried plugging it in and holding the up arrow and turning it on (while still holding arrow) and nothing. The phone won't power on at all if it's not connected to the wall or the computer (and when it does power on, it always displays that horrific icon)

Help me... did I screw up when assembling the phone? I took it apart again and made sure the ribbon cables were connected to the comm board and tried again and the same thing.

I know the battery icon thing has been asked before but didn't see any posts that they got it right after following the wiki on swapping comm boards: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

Please help me... I'm scared I went from one dead phone to two dead phones... help tonight would be great :<
  2.    #2  
    As an update, I tried putting in the verizon board back in and it does the same thing... it used to work. Am I forgetting a wire or something..?
  3.    #3  
    I know I made a crappy title but I really need help :< I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I've tried following the guide twice and I'm just not getting anywhere. I've tried different batteries too. Could someone please help me... *sniffles*
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nativus View Post
    I know I made a crappy title but I really need help :< I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I've tried following the guide twice and I'm just not getting anywhere. I've tried different batteries too. Could someone please help me... *sniffles*
    wish I could help... perhaps repost with a title about frankenpre assembly/reassembly issues? I thought that maybe you busted something on your Sprint board, but if you put the verizon board back into the pre2 and that doesn't work either, then it's not a sprint board problem...

good luck!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the comboard wires snugly?

this person had the same issue and it seems making sure those ribbon cables were snug fixed it: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tion-mark.html
  6.    #6  
    Well I called Sprint and told them it was a regular Pre so they could walk me through all the steps I already tried. I'm going to try to take it to a Sprint store... I'm at a loss and I'm going out of town Thursday morning and need this phone working. I'm hoping their tech guys are nice and will treat it like a Pre-...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the comboard wires snugly?

this person had the same issue and it seems making sure those ribbon cables were snug fixed it: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tion-mark.html
    Sorry I replied before seeing this. When you say comm wires, do you mean the ribbon cables or the wires running up through the case? Those seem fine though I'm nervous to pull on them.. they look to be soldered in :< Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    First get your battery charged some other way, so the phone can actually boot.
    Then you can start troubleshooting.
    I've tried two different batteries, both I fully charged. The stock battery that came with the Pre 2 was fully charged before I did the swap. Also, the volume-up recovery mode trick should work regardless, and it doesn't.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nativus View Post
    Sorry I replied before seeing this. When you say comm wires, do you mean the ribbon cables or the wires running up through the case? Those seem fine though I'm nervous to pull on them.. they look to be soldered in :< Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
    I was talking about the ribbon cables, more specifically the one with the bigger connector, but not a bad idea to check the ends of the wires running through the case. The side that is not soldered is underneath a metal tab on the com board with metal connectors
  10.    #10  
    I lifted the metal tab and those looked snug. I also reseated both ribbon cables. Same thing. I'm starting to feel hopeless...

I really don't want to go out and buy an iPhone 4S. Plus I just dropped $120 on this unlocked Pre 2 :<
  11.    #11  
    Alright.. I Dropped the phone off at Sprint. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm hoping they'll just think it's a regular Pre >.>
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    ^lol.. tell me how that turns out. but did u try what I told u? the commboard might be damaged who knows.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    ^lol.. tell me how that turns out. but did u try what I told u? the commboard might be damaged who knows.
    lol they are replacing it for $35 and I don't have to surrender the Frankenpre so I'm basically getting a refurbished Palm Pre- for $35. Unfortunately, I'm going out of state tomorrow and not coming back until Tuesday. My original Palm Pre- had a broken ribbon cable. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Pre 2 uses the same type of ribbon connectors to the display. If so, I'll just move one over temporarily (if they aren't soldered). I'll also try taking apart the Pre 2 again and making sure the ribbon cables snap in. I've done it before but I'm willing to try again.

The way it's looking is my $120 new Pre 2 is hosed...
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    im sure the ribbon cables have to be cdma/sprint. but idk ask webos internals. But Id get get a replacement pre- and swap the new commboard into the pre2 and leave it at that. nothing more nothing less. And If your going out of state wherever your going if theres a sprint store im sure you could order the replacement there or they have some in stock. so you could get it quicker. Or idk order the replacement now and ask if theyll ship in to a sprint store in the area youll be staying it.
  15.    #15  
    The ribbon cables were standard. It doesn't matter... both phones do the same thing no matter what comm board I use... I think I'm just going to not touch the Pre that comes in from Sprint, sell it on eBay, and buy an iPhone 4S... I'm tired of this ****..