Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok sorry but im a complete Rookie and theres just too much info scattered about the place not stickied and alot of different posts to try and understand whats current. The Wiki says its current but then videos in the post are slightly different and can be a lil confusing at times.

I have my New Verizon Pre 2 ready and waiting and im going to swap my Sprint Pre- comboard. I have followed the steps on the wiki to create a metadoctor in Ubuntu. Please note I have no clue about Linux anything and I only installed it to create the metadoctor and barely knew my way around the OS. I currently use Windows XP.
    Here are a few questions I hope you smart peoples can help me with:

1. After going threw all that stuff with Ubuntu creating my metadoctor, I came across a post here with someone advising another they could just use a stock Verizon doctor intead? If this is true my question is what would be the Pros and Cons to doing one over the other? for example would there be differences like it would show Verizon on the top left of the screen instead of Sprint? I do understand that none of the Sprint Apps wont be available but there has to be some kind of other Pros and Cons between the two.

2. Tokens. Ive come across posts mentioning these. Im under the impression whatever these are, they are no longer needed. Will there be any use for these things future wise or am I completley safe not worrying about these things. What are they anyway lol?

3. Copying my Sprint PRL, is this still a step needed? Also in the wiki it mentions Novaterm? is this just the name of the Terminal App in Ubuntu or is this some other App I have to get a hold of? Can this be done via Windows? if so how. Can I get access to the locations via usb mode in windows in anyway or is this just a terminal only thing. FTP would be a great option for me, Im not that smart to be using all these terminal things lol and FTP is alot simpler for me or somthing along that lines within Windows XP.

4. Notes/Memos and Calender events. Can I some how back these up via copying and pasting from USB mode or somthing, again via windows XP. Im trying to avoid going back to Ubuntu as much as possible.

5. The step that says I have to delete my backup on my Pre- before hand, is this still current and needed. I understand I will be able to retrieve apps again but just worried about my memos and calender events.

6. Assuming I can now do this with my metadoctor, would it be of any value to go ahead and using it on my Sprint Pre- before I make the switch so that my WebOS account shows the new version from the get go and perhaps maybe put back my contacts and stuff while its on this version so it would be backed up agian to the sever and THEN go ahead do the switch and metadocter? Would it help any or be a waste of time?

My Pre- screen right side is no longer functioning and recently my buttom left corner of the screen stop responging so its getting harder for me to navigate and do things on my phone like using Internalz and stuff so any advice I can use please be via my comp and USB mode if possible.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Follow the wiki. Ignore the postings of other random folks. The folks who run WebOS internals are really really good. They don't include outdated things, or things you don't need to do. No, novaterm isn't just the standard ubuntu terminal, that's why they tell you to install it instead of using the terminal.

Follow the Wiki.

"Would it help any or be a waste of time?" Is it in the wiki? No. Don't do it.
    ananimus likes this.
    Ok, what I'm going to do is try and tell you the quick-n-dirty bare bones minimum direction towards getting your frankenpre 2 up and running, which may go against best practices, and won't be the advice I or most others would normally give, but it's your choice if it's what you need to do. As always though, if in doubt, follow the wiki.

1. I also heard once about someone claiming to use a Verizon doctor straight up to set up a frankenpre2. If there's one corner I wouldn't cut though, it would be making a proper Sprint/meta-doctor (It's SO not as hard as you might think, don't be intimidated by linux terminal...think of it just like the command prompt in windows XP). I've never tried to verify the straight up Verizon doctor claim myself, but I imagine that it would differ not only in the included apps, but network activation settings, maybe app catalog settings, and other under-the-hood things. Edit: See Post #9 for booyapre's personal observations after using the straight VZ doctor. I do suppose you COULD try the Verizon doctor straight up first, and if it doesn't work well, go back and do a proper sprint meta-doctoring. Note also that you CAN separately get both SprintTV and Sprint Nav onto a frankenpre2 later on if you use the proper sprint meta-doctor for the main setup (Info on these can be found in other threads).

2. Without getting into it, I'm going to tell you not to worry about these right now. They are not needed if you use the meta-doctor on the new phone. What I would suggest instead is reassemble your old Pre- when your done, using the spare comm board you removed from the Pre2, and hang onto that reassembled Pre- so that you can still boot it up in case you do need to retrieve those old tokens some day.

3. Again, let me try and keep this simple, even if it means I don't answer all your questions. No, you don't absolutely need to copy your Sprint PRL if you use the meta-doctor on the new phone. What you SHOULD do at least is update your PRL (and maybe your "network settings" too) from the preferences menu in the phone app of your Pre- before powering it down for the last time for taking it apart. That will program the latest PRL into the Sprint comm board itself before you transplant it into the Pre2 body. (Again, if you reassemble your old Pre- like I mentioned before, you can always hang onto it and be able to boot it up and get certain files another time if ever needed, and not worry about how to do it until then.)

4. Notes/Memos and Calendar events should be synced to your webOS Profile "in the cloud" online, so they should sync back to the new frankenPre2 automatically after you log in for the first time. No need to manually back them up.

5. Technically no, you do not absolutely need to back up the Pre-. The only usual things that aren't backed up online that people forget are pictures and videos. Those are easily available in USB mode by dragging/dropping with windows explorer to your computer, and then later back to the new phone.

6. Eh, I don't think you need to do this. Your contacts and such are already backed up, and everything should convert and sync up again after you meta-doctor and log in to the new phone. Your profile doesn't need to be showing the newer webOS version ahead of time.
    Last edited by sq5; 10/24/2011 at 11:17 AM.
    I mostly agree with LurkerX. Follow the wiki. I just did mine last week and it was fine. Follow the wiki.

In summary, for backups type questions: Save/Restore, copy media partition, do Palm profile backup. Only trouble is if you need to save SMS messages. There are ways to do that posted but they can't be restored to the phone.

Anything the wiki says you even *might* want to backup like the PRL and tokens, etc, do it. You may find you don't need any of it (I didn't need most of the things I copied), but do it anyway.

So yeah. Follow the wiki.

On some of your bullet points:

5. I didn't delete/disable my backups. The Profile restored fine. According to the wiki, it's a calculated risk. The worst case scenario is having to back up a few steps. Should be fine though and if it is, should save some time.

6. Meta doctor after the hardware switch. ("Follow the wiki.")

Things I'd add after last week:

Regarding the hardware part, I've just been lazily reposting around here lately that it's not in the hardware pictorial (maybe its in the vids), but you can swap just the comboard out of the back bezel by disconnecting the antenna cables from the board behind the shield. I followed the picture guide and that point wasn't in there. If this doesn't make sense now, it will when you're holding the parts in your hand and realize you want the shiny new speaker, etc, from the new phone all in one shot.

Also, before you try installing browser Flash with patch, check to see if it's already there when you finish the meta doctor and everything. It was for me (after I'd already built the install myself )
    Also, it's not that bad. The devs did the hard work getting it working. So...

"Just 2 it."

(and don't forget step 6!)
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Rookie4sho,

You sound just like me when I was approaching the swap. Don't apologize for asking for clarification as, no, the wiki isn't all that clear to rookies and there are confusing and sometimes contradictory instructions or tips all over this place. (That said, I love PreCentral and the Homebrew crew!)

Keep pushing for clarifications and such. I recommend you set aside a whole day or, better, a weekend to do the swap. You may not need it, but just in case you do, your stress level will be lower.

Experts--especially in computer land--often think what they write is clear as a bell, but they're often too close and familiar with everything to realize why and where they lose rookies.

Those who can do, do; those who can really, really do, teach.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Regarding the hardware part, I've just been lazily reposting around here lately that it's not in the hardware pictorial (maybe its in the vids), but you can swap just the comboard out of the back bezel by disconnecting the antenna cables from the board behind the shield. I followed the picture guide and that point wasn't in there. If this doesn't make sense now, it will when you're holding the parts in your hand and realize you want the shiny new speaker, etc, from the new phone all in one shot.

Just to clarify this point for the OP, and for anyone else that might come across this thread...You can optionally swap just the comm board out of the back bezel like ananimus says, but only if you're using a Verizon Pre2 (as in the OP's case here) for the frankenpre2 conversion. The reason is because both the Verizon Pre2 and the Sprint Pre- are CDMA phones and have the same antenna on their bezels. If you are using an unlocked AT&T Pre2 (which has a GSM antenna on its bezel) as the conversion phone, then you will have to transplant the whole bezel / comm board combo from the Sprint Pre- as one piece (which is easier than separating the comm board anyway).
    Did the swap with an unlocked GSM version, was a rookie at it too. I had never done anything in linus either.

What I did was:

1) follow the hardware instructions
    2) follow the upgrade wiki from webOS Internals about the metadoctor (I used the linus commandline from webOS QI for most my terminal stuff)
    3) MAKE the backup of your PRL
    4) I did NOT erase my backups
    5) Installed Sprint Nav and Sprint TV from a previous Sprint webOS doctor.jar file version
    6) REBOOT

All is well. So yes in short, READ the wiki through TWICE like it mentions, spend a day getting just the metadoctor together along with backing up your PRL, backups, USB drive etc. Then do the hardware swap and doctoring the next day or so. How I did it, and after you do it once its easy. In fact I did my wife's phone 2 days later and only took me about 2 hours as I already had the meta-doctor built.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    concerning your first question:
    I am one of those who straight doctored with a VZ 2.1 stock doctor after doing the comm board switch. I had created the sprint frankenpre2 metadoctor following the simple (but intimidating to a non-Unix) webOS internals wiki but didn't trust whether or not I did it correctly so when I read on another forum that it might work with a stock VZ doctor, I went that route first...

I wish I knew what drawbacks there are to doing so-- I haven't noticed any so far.. Carrier string shows as sprint, no known phone/network issues getting 3g data and roaming, device info shows 2.1, no problems with app catalog that i'm aware of, no issues with voicemail or synergy (except widespread yahoo email issue), flash works...

having said all that, I fully acknowledge unforeseen risks down the road since I didn't follow the Wiki exactly-- just haven't seen anything yet, *yet* being key word..

I did my conversion a month ago.. So far so good..

hopefully someone more in the know will be able to address the question of drawbacks of *not* using a metadoctor
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    I am one of those who straight doctored with a VZ 2.1 stock doctor after doing the comm board switch.
    That is a really interesting and insightful outcome, booyapre. Thanks for elaborating! If going that route is working without any major issues so far, I'd love to hear from Rod Whitby or someone at webos-internals as to what the nuanced distinctions are between the Sprint meta-doctor for the Pre2 versus just the straight stock VZ doctor.
    booyaNCtablet and ananimus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    That is a really interesting and insightful outcome, booyapre. Thanks for elaborating! If going that route is working without any major issues so far, I'd love to hear from Rod Whitby or someone at webos-internals as to what the nuanced distinctions are between the Sprint meta-doctor for the Pre2 versus just the straight stock VZ doctor.
    Agreed. I've seen this on the forums just the last few weeks as interest rekindles on 2ing and would love to hear what's up with that.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you guys for all the great info and help

I had already made the metadoctor in Ubuntu (following this Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals) and being Sprint I think I'll stick to using it. I just need to deal with the PRL part and Noverterm. I was planning to do the conversion tomorrow since sadly Tues & Wed are my days off.

I DO want to use all the new stuff from the Pre2 like speakers and what not so I should just bring over comboards right?

Also following wht you guys saying, once I update my PRL and network settings, I can just go ahead and switch boards and I should have the PRL stuff already so backing them up would be just a precaution right and no need to go ahead and restore my PRL after the doctor.

I did intend on keeping my Pre-, but your saying once I put it back together with the Pre2 comboard within it I can still turn it on and retrieve things off of it WITHOUT having to switch back comboards to original devices? That does sound great.

I thought by hitting the turn off backups button and then hitting delete backup was going to delete it off the server no? I also could of sworn I read somewhere here that when I do that and doctor it would restore the apps but not the memos and calender stuff.

So if my profile did end up being screwed, I'd def have to switch back comboards in order to turn off backups and delete correct? no chance of being able to do that with the Pre2 board in the Pre- right?

Thanks again for all the great and useful responses
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    I am one of those who straight doctored with a VZ 2.1 stock doctor after doing the comm board switch. I had created the sprint frankenpre2 metadoctor following the simple (but intimidating to a non-Unix) webOS internals wiki but didn't trust whether or not I did it correctly so when I read on another forum that it might work with a stock VZ doctor, I went that route first...

I wish I knew what drawbacks there are to doing so-- I haven't noticed any so far.. Carrier string shows as sprint, no known phone/network issues getting 3g data and roaming, device info shows 2.1, no problems with app catalog that i'm aware of, no issues with voicemail or synergy (except widespread yahoo email issue), flash works...

having said all that, I fully acknowledge unforeseen risks down the road since I didn't follow the Wiki exactly-- just haven't seen anything yet, *yet* being key word..

I did my conversion a month ago.. So far so good..

hopefully someone more in the know will be able to address the question of drawbacks of *not* using a metadoctor
    I have a question regarding this comment since it pertains to my same situation. Verizon pre2 sprintified with a comm board from a Sprint pre-. I have already installed the test verizon 2.0 doctor after switching comm boards. Everything works with network, data services, and gps. What im wondering is if the stock verizon 2.1 doctor can be done with backups turned on so that I wont have to worry about downloading all my apps and loosing my info . . Thanks guys as always and sorry if this question sounds redundant
    Last edited by pinoyrepn1124; 10/25/2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyrepn1124 View Post
    I have a question regarding this comment since it pertains to my same situation. Verizon pre2 sprintified with a comm board from a Sprint pre-. I have already installed the test verizon 2.0 doctor after switching comm boards. Everything works with network, data services, and gps. What im wondering is if the stock verizon 2.1 doctor can be done with backups turned on so that I wont have to worry about downloading all my apps and loosing my info . . Thanks guys as always and sorry if this question sounds redundant
    I haven't had to doctor yet since the initial conversion-- I think that user "dilandu" recently dr'd their frankenpre2 so they may be able to help you... but I think that your apps are tied to your palm profile so they'll automatically come back even if backups is turned off (although memos and such might not)
    Booyapre is correct , I have just finished the conversion of a Pre - to a VZW Pre 2 and ran the Stock VZW 2.1 Dr from the get go , no lost of back up and no issues...well I had one but that was user error but other then that I dont see the reason for a meta dr if you start with a VZW Pre 2 just comm board switch and dr and you are good to go. I wish Ive done this sooner .. Pre 2 hardware wise makes my Pre - horrifically jealous
    ananimus likes this.
    *batting a bit of clean up*

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    I DO want to use all the new stuff from the Pre2 like speakers and what not so I should just bring over comboards right?
    Yup.

Also following wht you guys saying, once I update my PRL and network settings, I can just go ahead and switch boards and I should have the PRL stuff already so backing them up would be just a precaution right and no need to go ahead and restore my PRL after the doctor.
    Wiki says to restore them I believe. But after my doctor last week I checked and it appeared to me that my freshly updated PRL was still intact. Your mileage may vary!
  17.    #17  
    Ok guys thank you for all the help, advice and clarification. I'm up and running on the Pre2

Only tricky part was assembling back the keyboard but besides that all seem to have gone well. I didn't turn backups off or delete and it worked fine. My apps came back along with my memos and contacts. Calender seems fine also. But it did seem to also install 2 apps that I have on my TouchPad? I checked my Profile online and it shows the backup correctly with Sprint and running on WebOS 2.1.0 and no weird looking things.

I havent restored my PRL yet but the phone is sending and receiving calls and text fine, also emails. But in the device info it does say carrier "Verizon" and PRL "60681" So I guess that will change if I restore my PRL.

I was kind of suprised that I have no Sprint Apps? I thought I'd have SprintTV and what not doing the meta-doctor? not even one Sprint thing is showing on my phone?

As I was typing this was that I got the "Update Available" messege. Sent my PM and saved my logs ready to send.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!
    Last edited by Rookie4sho; 10/26/2011 at 04:37 AM.
  18.    #18  
    Sorry Double Post
    I was kind of suprised that I have no Sprint Apps? I thought I'd have SprintTV and what not doing the meta-doctor? not even one Sprint thing is showing on my phone?

Same for me, I was expecting those apps to be there because according to the Wiki:

Carrier-Specific Applications

Some carrier apps are not working in webOS 2.1. Apps that have been tested and are known to install cleanly and work will be added to the custom webOS Doctor for the appropriate device/carrier.
    Known working carrier apps are listed below.
    Sprint
    Sprint Portal
    Sprint TV
    Sprint Football Live
    NASCAR

Maybe that section needs to be more clear? I was able to install Sprint Nav, TV, and NASCAR individually through other means, but the NASCAR doesn't seem to want to connect even though the app will attempt to load.
    Last edited by JCarr29; 10/26/2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Just to clarify this point for the OP, and for anyone else that might come across this thread...You can optionally swap just the comm board out of the back bezel like ananimus says, but only if you're using a Verizon Pre2 (as in the OP's case here) for the frankenpre2 conversion. The reason is because both the Verizon Pre2 and the Sprint Pre- are CDMA phones and have the same antenna on their bezels. If you are using an unlocked AT&T Pre2 (which has a GSM antenna on its bezel) as the conversion phone, then you will have to transplant the whole bezel / comm board combo from the Sprint Pre- as one piece (which is easier than separating the comm board anyway).
    In reading this post I have Sprint Pre- and i wanted to attempt this if I feel confident and get a pre 2 on ebay. It appears the easiest way is to get a Verizon Pre 2 and JUST swap the comm board without taking the bezel apart? And it appears per the wiki you dont have to mess with tokens etc anymore (but are good to backup prior to doing this?)

With this cost of Pre2's on ebay going down to around $75-$110 it appears this may be my best option while I wait to use my upgrade
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast