I've been trying to figure out how to replace the keyboard - I like the old Sprint keyboard with red highlights better than the gray one. Any tips on doing this? I've looked for a wiki and can't find one. Thanks -
There's just sticky tape connecting the keyboard to the metal backplate. Just unpeel it and then work it to the left to make sure that you don't tear the keyboard ribbon (see the red arrow) after it becomes loose. Just take your time and it's relatively easy. The sticky tape can feel pretty firmly stuck the very first time you try to unstick it, but it really is only sticky tape.
I am hoping to complete my Frankenpre tonight. Just so I understand I can remove just the comm board from my Pre- and put it into the Verizon Pre2 I got from ebay. Looking over the wiki I am wondering if I have to do step 6 to take the keyboard off to remove the comm boards or can I just unscrew the little screws and get right at the comm boards?
just getting a little confused looking at the pictures.
There are videos showing you how to take apart the pre - and the Verizon pre 2. You do have to take the housing apart, but it's really easy to do. Take your time and don't feel rushed to get it done. I beleive the videos are all on YouTube (search for frankenpre). Watching the videos and looking at the pics together helped to have it all make sense.
Agreeing with the Sprint FrankenPre 2 conversion. VERY worth the while.
As for the bookmark issue. I had that. I don't remember the post but look for a patch out there that fixes it. I cannot for the life of me remember the specifics but I think I was able to download the patch on my Pre directly and then have to update the AUSMT Scripts and GNU patch before it would install correctly (in Preware under Linux). Once rebooted I was able to return the order lost in the conversion.
I looked under Preware and the patch is listed as "Fix browser bug that inhibits bookmarks sisplayed to delete or reorder." I did the one that allows the 99 bookmark panes on the launch page like the old Pre- patch did.
Also wanted to add that I unplugged the antenna wires from the top left of the comm board (viewed from the back of Pre) and just plugged in the new wires. I believe my reception is about one "bar" better (although this bar stuff is all crap anyway). Had to peel back that sticker but I had doublestick tape so it looks mostly the same as prior to that operation.
I wanted as much new hardware on my pre as I could.