Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    In reading this post I have Sprint Pre- and i wanted to attempt this if I feel confident and get a pre 2 on ebay. It appears the easiest way is to get a Verizon Pre 2 and JUST swap the comm board without taking the bezel apart? And it appears per the wiki you dont have to mess with tokens etc anymore (but are good to backup prior to doing this?)

With this cost of Pre2's on ebay going down to around $75-$110 it appears this may be my best option while I wait to use my upgrade
    Do it! im the Rookie here who started this thread lol and besides 2 minor glitches ive come across, so far it was the best descision, and this community has made the experience that much better with all the help and advice. ITS SO DAMN SMOOTH! I still cant get over the differences. I thought it would be a minor difference but its alot better than I expected, well worth the time and effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    As I was typing this was that I got the "Update Available" messege. Sent my PM and saved my logs ready to send.
    There's an update you should get right after 2ing and another related to Maps if you went to the new version.

The one from 2ing helps fix some minor bugs (or so history indicates). If you don't have the new Maps, you don't need to log and report and the update will help.

if you do update, you'll likely get stuck where I am with no way to get new Maps back. Edit: If you update and it's because you had the new Maps.

And I agree with the OP's last comment. There are some weird new little things to get used to, but so much more awesome smoothness. Just 2 it!
    Last edited by ananimus; 10/29/2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Ok. Thanks guys. How does the camera on the pre 2 load vs pre minus? Does it hang around to load and have that same lag sometimes? How's battery life vs pre minus overclocked, and does pre 2 even need overclocked?

**UPDATE - I just took apart a spare pre I had and took the comm board out in less than 30 minutes and reassembled it...If I get a verizon pre 2 I am pretty confident I can do the swap...what are these bugs/issues you have all said to have encountered that I need to look for if I do this?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by RyanCell; 10/29/2011 at 02:18 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Ok. Thanks guys. How does the camera on the pre 2 load vs pre minus? Does it hang around to load and have that same lag sometimes? How's battery life vs pre minus overclocked, and does pre 2 even need overclocked?

**UPDATE - I just took apart a spare pre I had and took the comm board out in less than 30 minutes and reassembled it...If I get a verizon pre 2 I am pretty confident I can do the swap...what are these bugs/issues you have all said to have encountered that I need to look for if I do this?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The camera seems to load up pretty decent, but I never really had much of a lag with my Sprint Pre. My battery life so far is so so, not terrible but not great either but I do have my Seido extended battery from my Pre- (the one thats same physical size as the reg battery) on stand by incase im not liking the stock battery. So far it lasts me a work day. But I wasn't overclocked on my Pre- sorry. I did however have it overclocked a couple times and just went back to stock so I remember how it was. So far I see no reason to overclock the Pre 2, it runs fast and smooth enough for me. This will just be each persons preference.

my 2 glitches I found so far which im hoping to find a post or somthing here for a fix or advice, going to search after this lol.

1. My web browser bookmarks (the big icons) carried over fine and oddly my browser history. But the actual bookmark section (where you can re arrange bookmarks) is completely empty. If I add new bookmarks it still stays blank and nothing adds.

2. MMS Problem. Ive been receiving pictures in text fine but certain people send me pics and it will be jus a vertical line. I think (not 100% sure now) that i've narrowed it down to being animated gifs causing this. They worked fine on my Pre- though. I also cannot seem to send a pic via text, it gives an error saying messege is corrupt.

Those are my glitches so far, I havent noticed anything else. Going to search if I can fix these, if not I guess new thread lol.

I also am yet to restore my PRL! my service has been SO GREAT including 3G and i've been a lil hesitant to put my Sprint PRL on there. This could just be due to the new hardware but i'd hate to restore it and start getting crappy service lol.
    Hmm. I didn't have Rookie4sho's browser bookmarks problem, or the MMS one (though I haven't gotten any gifs).

I did notice slightly better reception also without updating PRL. I just assumed it was because the etched-on antennae weren't 2 years old anymore.
    I also am yet to restore my PRL! my service has been SO GREAT including 3G and i've been a lil hesitant to put my Sprint PRL on there. This could just be due to the new hardware but i'd hate to restore it and start getting crappy service lol.
    If I'm not mistaken, 60681 is still the newest Sprint PRL, so your comm board PRL is already up-to-date and you don't need to bother restoring anything! Side Note: Even though the carrier says "Verizon" in the Device Info (it's a normal side effect of the metadoctor), you are definitely using the Sprint PRL since Verizon PRL's use a different number scheme altogether.
    Last edited by sq5; 10/31/2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Those are my glitches so far, I havent noticed anything else. Going to search if I can fix these, if not I guess new thread lol.
    Regarding your minor glitches...I've never heard of those before myself, but if you don't find a solution elsewhere in the forums, you could always try doing a full erase on the phone and running the meta-doctor again.
    Sorry for the third post in a row, but for both the OP and others doing their frankenPre2's, you can OPTIONALLY install some patches that will enhance the performance of your phone if you'd like, without overclocking. There is a website where they talk about the touchpad (touchpadplus.com) and most of those patches also apply to the Pre2 (or even the Pre- for that matter!) Just pick and choose the patches you feel like installing and obviously skip the page on overclocking you you don't think you need it (i haven't felt the need to overclock my frankenpre2 yet either). Of all the patches, it seems like the one that muffles logging seems the most helpful to everyone, even without overclocking.
    i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on doing this, just debating if I want to get a verizon unit or unlocked one. i've removed the volume button before, is that all thats needed to get the back shell off and it slides over it? I dont want to break it if I buy a pre 2.

From what i've been reading

verizon pre 2 = can just swap the comm board (and have a new back panel)
    unlocked pre 2 = have to swap on your old pre's whole back because of the antennas being built in

I'm pretty confident in either method that I can achieve it, I just am waiting til I have a few extra $ to do it....any recommendations of what easier?

I did notice when I took apart a spare pre that the sticker part of the keyboard got a kink in it (area behind the keypad). Its like when I peeled the comm board off it left a line where it was pulled off...surely just a matter of technique?

Thanks
    -Ryan
    If you have the option, get a VZW Pre 2. Much cleaner, sturdier swap vs. manually removing all the little embedded bits in back to get the new shinies (headphone jack, speaker, volume rocker).

Check craigslist if you have the option, too. Got mine for $80 in town and looking sharp!
    i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on doing this, just debating if I want to get a verizon unit or unlocked one. i've removed the volume button before, is that all thats needed to get the back shell off and it slides over it? I dont want to break it if I buy a pre 2.

From what i've been reading

verizon pre 2 = can just swap the comm board (and have a new back panel)
    unlocked pre 2 = have to swap on your old pre's whole back because of the antennas being built in

I'm pretty confident in either method that I can achieve it, I just am waiting til I have a few extra $ to do it....any recommendations of what easier?

I did notice when I took apart a spare pre that the sticker part of the keyboard got a kink in it (area behind the keypad). Its like when I peeled the comm board off it left a line where it was pulled off...surely just a matter of technique?

Thanks
    -Ryan
    You are correct about what swapping you can do with a verizon pre2 vs an unlocked pre2.

I had a verizon pre2 to work with, but still decided to swap the whole back anyway because it's just that much easier/faster to do, and because my sprint back seemed to be in decent shape (so why mess with it?). I just blew/wiped away any dust or debris from it before installing it into the pre2...flawless results.

I guess if your old back has something that totally busted in it (buttons, speaker, headphone jack, antenna, etc.), or if you really want everything spanking new, then def get a verizon pre2 and swap just the comm board itself. Otherwise it's not a big deal. Buying a verizon Pre2 will at least give you the option (whether now or later), but don't go spending much extra money for it.

Keep in mind that from the outside, your phone will still look brand spanking new no matter how you do the swap, since you will be using the back battery cover from the Pre2 anyway.

I forget if it was already posted in this thread, but here is the official instruction link for doing a frankenpre2 swap. It shows you the method of swapping the whole back.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Sprint_Pre_2

Swapping just the actual comm board itself would additionally involve bending up the little metal flap on the comm board, detaching the black and white antenna wires, reattaching the comm board to the black and white wires of the new back bezel, and then bending the metal flap on the comm board back down. These additional steps would take place between Step 10 and Step 11.
    Last edited by sq5; 10/31/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I had a verizon pre2 to work with, but still decided to swap the whole back anyway because it's just that much easier/faster to do, and because my sprint back seemed to be in decent shape (so why mess with it?). I just blew/wiped away any dust or debris from it before installing it into the pre2...flawless results.
    Must respectfully (as I think your input is fantastic throughout, sq5!) disagree. I noticed swapping just the com board was possible without even having seen it in instructions, it's just that easy. And I know that on mine I was starting to have headphone jack, etc, glitches from two years of abuse.

The headphone jack and power button in particular are mechanical parts that take wear and tear. If you have the easy chance to refresh them while 2ing and it doesn't cost much more to get the VZ Pre 2, then why not?

If yours is in good condition, then maybe it doesn't matter. But I know it only took one fateful drop of my Pre- in year #1, right on its power button, to make the button all gummy and annoying. Now it's all clicky and nice again.
    And incidentally, I finally have to ask... I thought I had seen that it didn't matter which bezel/phone you had? I know the wire length was different, but one is for GPS and the other for (???). I could swear I read of others swapping only the board and having no trouble aside from the extra b/w antenna wire.

<I'll look this up later but it's bedtime cop out.>
    Last edited by ananimus; 11/01/2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Must respectfully (as I think your input is fantastic throughout, sq5!) disagree. I noticed swapping just the com board was possible without even having seen it in instructions, it's just that easy. And I know that on mine I was starting to have headphone jack, etc, glitches from two years of abuse.

The headphone jack and power button in particular are mechanical parts that take wear and tear. If you have the easy chance to refresh them while 2ing and it doesn't cost much more to get the VZ Pre 2, then why not?

If yours is in good condition, then maybe it doesn't matter. But I know it only took one fateful drop of my Pre- in year #1, right on its power button, to make the button all gummy and annoying. Now it's all clicky and nice again.
    Very good point, and fair enough! If there's any question about the mechanicals then take the extra step if possible to freshen them up!

In my case I had barely used the headphone jack so that was really good as new.

I should point out about the power button that mine was always a bit mushy from day 1, but after the swap it became very clicky. The underlying pressure switch for the power is part of the motherboard/body of the phone (same with the volume), and appears to be what determines the clickiness more than the outer plastic button itself on the bezel.
    I got a pre 2 unlocked one because I found one for cheaper than verizons, and have 3 or so pre's I can always swap the comm board onto if i have issues w/ the back panel ever. Hope all goes well with the surgery! I will use save/restore for the launcher and hopefully it goes back to how it was setup before. I've never used that...Cant wait to get it. Just wish webOS would get some good news I just cant bring myself to use my upgrade on iPhone 4S or any Android phone. Windows phone looked good, but I dont like their slider on Sprint.
  16.    #36  
    I purposely got the Verizon one after someone here recommended since you only have to swap the comboard (which was painless). I wanted to have all that fresh new hardware and Only the comboard is old. I was also recommended the Verizon because of having to swap antennas if you get the Unlocked GSM version. So ive been told....

On a side note the Pre 2's speaker is waaaay louder and clearer than my Pre- was.
  17.    #37  
    If I'm not mistaken, 60681 is still the newest Sprint PRL, so your comm board PRL is already up-to-date and you don't need to bother restoring anything! Side Note: Even though the carrier says "Verizon" in the Device Info (it's a normal side effect of the metadoctor), you are definitely using the Sprint PRL since Verizon PRL's use a different number scheme altogether.
    Thanks, I was thinking conspiracy theroes lol. Like Sprint pushes out a crappy PRL update to older phones in order to get you to upgrade lol. Because my service was never this great. Must be the hardware then, perhaps the newer antenna. Another reason to go with the Verizon Pre2 I guess
  18.    #38  
    Ok so for my MMS Glitch, not being able to send pics and getting messege corrupt error, I found this and it works: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2887984

Whats sad is I cant find any reasoning for WHY it does this and/or perhaps a patch to fix it.

As for the gif problem, I cant find anything yet. Only people getting them but not animated (which is wht I would want). But I have run into another glitch with MMS.

MY new MMS glitch, if someone sends me a pic with audio attacthed to it like an mp3. I dont get anything if the forward it to me. BUT if that person sends me a reg text such as the word "test" then I get the "test" text and the forwarded pic with audio comes flooding in! but if that person hadn't sent a reg text I would never of gotten them.

You guys saying you don't have this bookmark problem? if so if I should probably re doctor right? Also can I now just bring in the meta-doctor jar file from Ubuntu to Windows XP and just double click it or do I always have to use command line in Ubuntu to doctor this FrankenPre every time?
    On a side note the Pre 2's speaker is waaaay louder and clearer than my Pre- was.
    Crap, didnt think of the speaker. Oh well...I got a new in box pre 2 unlocked with a touchstone for $110 shipped. Cheapest verizon was like $135 for just the phone. Think I'll be happy either way.
    The underlying pressure switch for the power is part of the motherboard/body of the phone (same with the volume), and appears to be what determines the clickiness more than the outer plastic button itself on the bezel.
    Huh! I did not know that.

And sorry for the lazy, later post above. I have since looked up a picture of a GSM Pre antenna and they most definitely are different.

Also interestingly, Rod and others strongly suggest keeping all com boards with their respective bezels at the end of this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-guide-10.html

Perhaps concerns over busting pins? I know they're snap-on type at the com board itself, so it ain't rocket surgery so long as you're careful. Though I would caution others to be careful while prying back the panel where the antenna wires connect, keeping a close eye on what's happening under the panel.

Crap, didnt think of the speaker.
    Here was a nice recap thread that might help: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...dos-donts.html

I knew I'd heard mention at some point that the speaker could be swapped (Rod Whitby mentioned this at some point, too). Don't remember from my Pre's surgery how hard it looked to pop out the speaker, but it's food for thought.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast