Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Abyssul
  1.    #1  
    OK So it's not really easy to find the specific answers to these questions so I'm making a new thread. Thanks for answering any questions you can (even if it's just one part). I'll give "likes" and "thanks" like crazy :-)

What I want to do is FrankenPre2 a formerly GSM Pre2 with a VZW Pre Plus comm board. Is it possible to do this before I activate it through the carrier (the Pre Plus had previously been activated and used) and before a palm profile is created? Does a Verizon FrankenPre2 have the same problem as Sprint FrankenPre2's where the comm board needs to be activated before the swap? I assume I'd use the ESN of the Pre Plus to activate it afterward but would that make it show up as a Pre Plus to Verizon?

I also want to have a bunch of free & homebrew applications as well as patches installed before activation. After carrier activation a new Palm Profile will be created. I don't care whether or not the palm profile ends up with the free applications synced to it, I just want them on the phone to begin with.

Should I use metadoctor to do the whole thing? Or are there steps that are possible by, say, bypassing initial activation and using WebOS QI to install things, then somehow making it so when the next user turns it on it shows the activation screen?

Bit of background for why I'm asking:
    My brother is one of those types to just walk in the store and ask for the best phone they have. As a result he had an Android phone which is now broken. He would like to borrow my pre for a while but 1) I'm sure he wouldn't get into homebrew & would never realize that corresponding Pre apps have different names and 2) I'm sure he would be picky about the phone. So basically I want to make it as good I as can be before I give it to him, and I kind of want him to think that it was always meant to be that way.
    Your best bet is to setup the Pre2 with your brother. By making it a surprise, you are making it harder than it should be. Just explain it to him what homebrew is. You MUST use meta doctor.

There is a way to do what you want but it might just cause unneccessary problems down the road.

Follow these instructions for normal setup and building of a Frankenpre2 metadoctor: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

You will want to activate the Pre Plus comm board prior to switching and Verizon will recognize your device as a Pre Plus.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    PickleFart9 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Your best bet is to setup the Pre2 with your brother. By making it a surprise, you are making it harder than it should be. Just explain it to him what homebrew is. You MUST use meta doctor.

There is a way to do what you want but it might just cause unneccessary problems down the road.

Follow these instructions for normal setup and building of a Frankenpre2 metadoctor: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

You will want to activate the Pre Plus comm board prior to switching and Verizon will recognize your device as a Pre Plus.
    Thanks for your comments. The way he uses his Android phone, he won't see the purpose of homebrew even if I tried to explain it to him but he'd use the apps if they were already on there (freetether and themes, specifically). I guess I'll have to just create a palm profile that has apps already on it and then give him the username and password to sign into so that it syncs the apps. He won't get homebrew and patches that way but at least he'll have a sampling of applications.

Regarding the activation before frankenpre-ing, I need to mail it to him rather than be there in person, so I can't be present while he activates it and can't switch activation over before I mail it. Is there another way?
    Activate on Pre Plus. Swap comm boards. Doctor. Make sure it boots with a data connection. Mail to brother.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Activate on Pre Plus. Swap comm boards. Doctor. Make sure it boots with a data connection. Mail to brother.
    Thanks. Based on your responses it seems that there is no well-documented way to do what I'm asking. I knew about the method you posed and if I had felt it was sufficient for my needs, I wouldn't have posted. I appreciate you helping me figure out that there's probably not a better way, though.