1.    #1  
    Bought a Pre 2 on eBay. My first smart phone, if you can believe it. Very nice, but I can't figure out how to change the profile's email. Been searching, and the closest I've found is this post reply: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3063111

I'd rather not erase, so what is the other option that johncc didn't post?
    Thanks,
    did he give you his password?

point your browser to palm.com/profile and you can sign in to change email, password, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did he give you his password?

point your browser to palm.com/profile and you can sign in to change email, password, etc.
    No, he didn't give me his password. I will email him and ask. Thanks for your quick response!
    he could also log in and change the email to yours and give it a generic password. Then you could change it.

that way he wouldn't have to tell you his password.
  5.    #5  
    he could also log in and change the email to yours and give it a generic password. Then you could change it.

that way he wouldn't have to tell you his password.
    Well, okay, I can send him another message and suggest that. Thanks again.
    only if he balks at giving you his pw
  7.    #7  
    only if he balks at giving you his pw
    Well, this is getting strange. I keep hearing "at the Profile login screen," but I'm still missing something. The user guide is no help, and the prior owner says "just create a new profile."

Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    If you are at the Profile login screen, you should see the option to create a new profile, in addition to the "sign in to existing profile" option. . .
    This is talking about the "Backup" app Preferences menu, right? I click the "Palm Profile" option, and get a login prompt, for the password only, and there is no option to "create a new profile." I have found no app that allows entering a different profile email address.

What am I missing?!
    I think you will need to erase and start fresh..
    wipe the device thru device info; reset options; full erase (or secure erase), then run your doctor and that should get you to first use to create palm profile
    in the 1.4.5 feeds there is a "first use" patch or an "enable profile creation" patch that takes you to one of the first screens to set up a new profile, don't see it in 2.1 feeds (just placeholder)

so I think a erase is your only choice (or get the old owner to go to palm.com and nuke his profile remotely)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    I think you will need to erase and start fresh..
    wipe the device thru device info; reset options; full erase (or secure erase), then run your doctor and that should get you to first use to create palm profile
    Before I do that, I'd like to understand why what everyone is telling me to do won't work. What *should* I be seeing, and in which app should I be seeing it? On the phone, right, and not on the website?

The backup process is done over the network connection, yes? Or is it through the cellular connection? I don't yet have a 3G sim card . . . is that the show stopper here?
    are you currently running the device on old owners profile? (I think you must be if you see a "normal phone" set up with apps and such)

normally, when you get a pre 2, it should come without a profile, so when you boot up, it should walk you thru a setup process-- choose language first, then it takes you to the first use screen where you can sign in to your palm profile or create a new one by Entering your email..

if you get to a background wallpaper and can see apps and make calls, then the old profile is still on the phone.. No option in 2.1 to create new profile without reset or the old owner remotely wiping.. PM your number and I can give you a call if you want
    if the previous owner bought apps, using his profile will let you keep using them.
  13.    #13  
    if the previous owner bought apps, using his profile will let you keep using them.
    That way, would I be able to add more apps?

I bought this phone because I'd heard how cool webOS was to program. I plan to put it into developer mode, and install preware so I can ssh into the command line.

So, if I need to reset this phone, what are the consequences of doing that?

I currently live in Costa Rica. I read somewhere (maybe here months ago) that once a Pre2 was initialized in the US, doing a reset would never change the "country of origin." Is that true? Or do I need to ship it back to the US to do the reset?

Does a Pre2 have to have a working Sim card to be activated / reset / create a profile? Or can this all be done just with WiFi working?
  14.    #14  
    Okay, borrowed a 3G Sim card for service from ICE (Costa Rica's government-owned telecoms provider) and cell service works great. Also updated to webOS 2.1.0.

Still no option to create a new profile account, so I guess next step is to install preware and see if that gives an option for this. If not, then will try a reset.
    FWIW,