Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So I want to get a palm pre 2 and currently have verizon but I don't want to get their expensive data plans. I would much rather switch to AT&T (since my contract just expired) and get a unlocked gsm palm pre 2 and activate it on AT&T's network. I have a couple of questions though.
    I'm probably going to get it on amazon Amazon.com: HP 16GB Palm Pre 2 Factory Unlocked QWERTY Keyboard GSM Smart Phone with WebOS, Touchscreen, WiFi, GPS (Black): Electronics as I found it for $160ish new from a seller. But when reading the amazon page, the specs seem to be different from the cdma version. The amazon page under product description says that it has a 3.2 megapixel camera, but I know that the verizon pre 2 has a 5mp camera. Also under the product description it says that its NOT compatible with AT&T's 3G network. I thought it was. If it is not than that's a DEAL BREAKER for me.
    thanks in advance
    Honestly imo, instead of buying the a pre2 for 160ish, you should buy an ATT pre3 off of ebay for less than $200.

As far as the incorrect product description. They're probably lazy and using the same description from the Pre- or Pre+
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I'd agree, spend a little more and get the Pre 3 . But a GSM Pre 2 does work on ATT as long as it is unlocked so it can be activated.

Edit: What plan do you have now on Verizon? Couldn't you purchase a Verizon Pre 2 and just activate it without signing a new 2 year deal?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    no I don't have a data plan, I currently own the LG Env Touch so this would be my first smartphone. Verizon's cheapest data plan is $30 but at&t has a $15 data option so I'm leaning towards at&t. and does 3g work well because I've read some places that there is not at&t 3g only edge.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Depends where you live..I live in NJ where I get great coverage but work in NYC where I find the coverage poor because of the buildings.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well, as long as the pre 2 gsm is compatible with 3g i'm fine.
    Yes it should work fine. Just make sure you get an unlocked version. But you should be able to easily find a Pre 3 for just a bit more that is AT&T compatible. And if it's anything like the Veer, then the build quality of the Pre 3 will be much better than the Pre 2.
    Pre2 works fine on 3G AT&T

I ended up buying a Pre3 for 60 more than what you are paying for the Pre2 though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    My Pre 2 gets 3G on AT&T. Also, the Pre 2 is "eligible" for the dumphone data plan on AT&T because they don't know it's a smartphone. You can get unlimited data for $15/month (or $10/month if you are on a family plan with unlimited messaging).
    I bought an unlocked Pre2 from HP, fired it up with my SIM card. Inadvertently downloaded an app when my home WiFi had crashed, saw a huge bill for data. Called AT&T to see if there was anything that could be done about it. The nice lady (there actuallywas a nice lady working for AT&T!) said she's hook me up with the minimum data plan for $10/month, back-date it to the 1st of the month, and the data usage would be swept into it. The reason I got a $10/month unlimited data plan is because ... get this ... they do not recognize a Pre2 purchased elsewhere as a smartphone.

Ooops ... wrote this before I saw friskies64's post. He/she is right.
    Last edited by grankin; 12/27/2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: new info
    So, does this mean if i buy a used unlocked gsm pre 2, I CAN get 3G att data? I dont want edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    So, does this mean if i buy a used unlocked gsm pre 2, I CAN get 3G att data? I dont want edge.
    Yes Pre2 on ATT is 3G. Veer and Pre3 are "4G".
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Just wanted to make sure because it is not a att pre 2 it a unlocked gsm pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Just wanted to make sure because it is not a att pre 2 it a unlocked gsm pre 2
    I have used 2 unlocked Pre2s on ATT.

Now I need to go switch the wife over to the unlimited data plan...

Anyone know if unlimited data works on Pre3? Both phones show up as unknown flip phones in our account, guessing I would lose 4G though.