Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just received an unlocked Pre 2 off ebay.

Figured it could carry me thru another year, at the very least; an upgrade for
    my Pre+. Would allow some time for Android / WP 7 to mature their UI's..

Yet, it's still sitting up on the shelf in the box.. Can't quite open it.
    I just don't have that new gadget excitement or head of steam.
    Didn't think I would feel this way, when I bid on it.

It's not like a miracle is coming for WebOS.
    And I'm also confident that if HP firebombed the last of the development staff,
    tomorrow, home brewers would find a way to keep the platform going for
    at least a year...

So what is it that has me so down about this?
    It's just a phone for freaking sake.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    because it isn't much of an upgrade from your pre+, and you know it. sell back on ebay, take a little loss, and get a Pre3. you won't have any regrets then.

edit: this post assumes you used the term 'unlocked' correctly, that you have a GSM device, and therefore an unlocked GSM Pre3 will be a much better choice and only a little more expensive. if you mean Verizon CDMA, then there's no such thing as 'unlocked', and of course VZW Pre3's are much more expensive.
    I had a similar feeling about a month ago when I purchased mine off Ebay. I put it on the shelf also for about a week taking it off periodically to hold it. I fired it up after a while and was very impressed with the difference from my +. Previously it would have put a huge smile on my face but we are a demoralized group these days. I don't think anything can save this platform. A link recently put me in the dumps and it involved life after WEBOS. It was posted in one of the forums and it is essentially a survival guide similar to preparing for the end of the world. What are we hold on for?
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
  4.    #4  
    Guilty as charged.. It's a CDMA/Verizon. I used the term Unlocked a bit too loosely.

Part of the problem is the Pre 2 does feels like a compromise now. I've contemplated jumping ship to AT&T to get a Pre3 -($600 for a Verizon Pre 3 is just insane) but with the platform's slow steady sinking, I'm not sure how far I am ready to go for it. Still have 2 months left on contract and in a pinch I could overlap.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    I was almost worried about the same thing, but coming from my Pre- I am more than satisfied!
    kataran likes this.
    Read the holy crappola thread and you will see how impressed users were with the perfomance upgrade off older devices. I am very happy with the performance upgrade also but I also feel like we may have misplaced loyalty to a dying platform. I don't personally know another person who owns a Palm device anymore and that is sad to admit.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Understandable, I was the same way as I was hoping for the Pre 3 (Sprint). But now that it's up and running, I'm pretty happy.
    A few weeks ago I was thinking of taking the Pre 2 route but changed my mind and purchased a Pre 3 because the Pre 2 is an old design and just didn't excite me. 2 weeks later, I am sooo glad I went with the Pre 3, awesome phone and was the right fix for my new phone addiction.
    The Pre 2 is a great phone, & is probably the best webOS phone available (excluding the Pre 3). The problem is that it's a year old already. The Pre 2 was revealed last October, went on sale in France & unlocked from HP here in the U.S. shortly after.

Even though Verizon didn't get it until Feb of this year, the phone itself is just old. So it's kind of hard to get excited over a phone from last year; especially when you have all these new devices out like the Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 4S.

I've had a FrankenPre 2 since March, and I have no major complaints. It's fast, battery life is pretty good, I'm just a little bored with it. Even though I don't need to upgrade, I probably will get the iPhone 4s before the year is out. It's a shame the Pre 3 was dumped, that would have been a great phone to upgrade to. With all the new smartphones becoming available on other platforms, I don't think I'll be holding on to Pre 2 for too much longer.
    the pre2 and pre3 are both impressive phones.

the pre2 is worth buying, the pre3 is worth signing a 2 year contract. Since that isn't possible on vzw, buy the one you can afford. Both are sure to please.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    open it. and turn out on and play with it. you could virtually sell it for the same price. trust em the pre2 is worlds diff. give you a burst of fresh air.
    I say you get a new phone whether it be iOS, Android, WP7, or whatever. Then you'll know if you still want to hold onto webOS or not based on your feelings about newer phones and different OS's.
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I really like the Pre 2. I'm not leaving Verizon for AT&T over the Pre 3. Unless the prices drop on the Verizon one, I'll stick with the Pre 2. It's a solid phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I was almost worried about the same thing, but coming from my Pre- I am more than satisfied!
    Totally agree with this. Although I have to say, even coming from a + the feel of the hardware difference would have to be just as noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
    I really like the Pre 2. I'm not leaving Verizon for AT&T over the Pre 3. Unless the prices drop on the Verizon one, I'll stick with the Pre 2. It's a solid phone.
    I really like my pre2 also, but I think I'm in the same camp. I wanted the 3. It didn't happen, got the 2... switching to iPhone in two weeks when they come back in stock probably.

every time I pick it up, I remember "oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with this phone" until I want to do something specific and then I have to break out my iPad. good thing I have free tether.

sad. I already parted ways with my pixi plus this morning. It's like losing a friend not because they moved away or stopped liking the same things as you - but because their dad went off the rails, sold the house for $500 worth of coke and went on a bender. You know that friend is out there somewhere, probably living at their grandma's house, but you sure as **** aren't going to be seeing them at Christmas.
    I really like my pre 2, runs great compared to preplus. Overclocking is not necessary whatsoever, and battery life is much better. However I am going for hardware over OS from now on. Hard to be disapointed by 8mp/ HD camera or 1.2ghz dual core or 4G lte or 4 inch super amoled or anything better then pre 2. Hell a phone that is better then the pre 2 hardware wise can be purchased for as little as a hundred dollars with a little shopping around
    If you are like me, you are not down on the pre2 hardware... it is really a very good phone with a good OS, but you are down on HP and their bungling of webOS. I honestly cannot see how webOS can make a comeback this time, especially after the latest ios and android ICS announcements. HP has no idea what they want to do with webOS and their handling of hardware is just depressing.

I think your "down-ness" on the pre2 is actually depression about having to sit back and watch Meg and company kill a once great OS
    The pre2 is just simply a good webos phone. I promise you will enjoy the experience. While it doesnt look all that different then its younger siblings, you will find its well built, runs smooth, having flash (that works) is really handy, and that just all around its the experience webos should have been right from the start.

If you are like me, i've found that I really like smartphones for the access to the web and a few things here and there to tinker/waste time with. But in the long run, all the new features on phones are gimmicy, and don't add a lot of value. I tried android, and came back to webos, and I don't regret a thing.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I just bought a Pre 2 on eBay for $125, I love this thing
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
    I really like my pre2 also, but I think I'm in the same camp. I wanted the 3. It didn't happen, got the 2... switching to iPhone in two weeks when they come back in stock probably.

every time I pick it up, I remember "oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with this phone" until I want to do something specific and then I have to break out my iPad. good thing I have free tether.

sad. I already parted ways with my pixi plus this morning. It's like losing a friend not because they moved away or stopped liking the same things as you - but because their dad went off the rails, sold the house for $500 worth of coke and went on a bender. You know that friend is out there somewhere, probably living at their grandma's house, but you sure as **** aren't going to be seeing them at Christmas.

^ anybody else notice this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast