Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes
    This has (fingers crossed) worked for me so far.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

I just did my Sprint FrankenPre 2 Wednesday night, and this morning I woke up to the 2.1 upgrade notification.
    I installed the upgrade just now, and after the phone came back up, I checked the Maps app. It still loads as Bing, and functions normally (as far as I can tell). No mention of google anywhere.

As a second test, I restarted my phone again, and it loads up Bing Maps just fine.

Maybe somehow the meta-doctor I created Wednesday fixed something, or they are pushing 2.1 differently now?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    No, others have this problem. There's a "fix" for 2.x, but we ned more info from someone on 1.4.5.

From post 36 in this thread:

For some, the fake OS update reinstalls GMaps and leaves Bing Maps in place. Does your Pre have both of these paths?

GMaps:
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    Bing Maps:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/
    This can be checked browsing around with Novaterm or Internalz. (verified in webOS 2.1, need to know for 1.4.5!) If so, that's the issue. The phone gets confused as both apps are called "Maps" and tries to use GMaps when called. Can be fixed by re-deleting the GMaps path then immediately rebooting. Proceed at your own risk!

From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc) run:
    Code:
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    then close and reboot.

Haven't seen any other fix short of the Doctor.

(Last time I'll spam this summary. Just trying to explain clearer since some try it with success while others seem to gloss right over this...)
    I had both files, deleted the com.palm.app.maps directory and rebooted. Still greeted with the message that there is an update to 2.1

I have a Sprint Frankenpre2 that I brought to life around 1-2 months ago. This message suddenly popped up yesterday.

my update_delete.txt file lists:

com.telenav.sprintnavigation
    com.palm.app.maps-rebooter

I do not have an update_list.exe file (but I haven't let it download any update software yet either).

Hope this helps someone figure this out - I would love to be rid of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    I had both files, deleted the com.palm.app.maps directory and rebooted. Still greeted with the message that there is an update to 2.1

I have a Sprint Frankenpre2 that I brought to life around 1-2 months ago. This message suddenly popped up yesterday.

my update_delete.txt file lists:

com.telenav.sprintnavigation
    com.palm.app.maps-rebooter

I do not have an update_list.exe file (but I haven't let it download any update software yet either).

Hope this helps someone figure this out - I would love to be rid of this.
    Hmm. The reference to remove Sprint Nav is new... You installed Telenav yourself? Which version of the ipk did you use?

Edit: Also, the directions I posted were for those who had already let the update install or had it forced on them. Have you let that one by yet? If you Frankenpre, one update has always come right after. There's another that comes along later for some people that can break the Maps update.

Now I'm wondering if everyone, with or without disappearing Maps, has both paths...
    Hmm. The reference to remove Sprint Nav is new... You installed Telenav yourself? Which version of the ipk did you use?

Edit: Also, the directions I posted were for those who had already let the update install or had it forced on them. Have you let that one by yet? If you Frankenpre, one update has always come right after. There's another that comes along later for some people that can break the Maps update.

Now I'm wondering if everyone, with or without disappearing Maps, has both paths...
    Ok, I accidentally hit "install now" tonight.... and there was no way to stop it. After the install process, Bing and Sprint Nav were gone. Google Maps was back. I opened Gmaps and it told me to upgrade to bing. I did the upgrade via the HP Catalog. Bing appears to work find and Google Maps is gone. The only thing different is that I don't have Sprint Nav, which I use constantly.

Yes, I installed the navigator myself but I don't remember which ipk I used. And yes, I now have both directories you referenced - but I no longer have any issues with the update notification.

And yeah, when I did the Frankenpre a while back there was an immediate update. But that has been some time ago now.

I am going to re-install the Sprint Nav and will report back.
    The Bing fix here also refers to if Bing reinstall doesn't stick after a full reboot... after the faux update.

And for Sprint Nav, what version you get will depend on which Sprint doctor you pull from. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $one$ $of$ $these$ $is$ $solid$ $with$ $2$.$x$.
    The Bing fix here also refers to if Bing reinstall doesn't stick after a full reboot... after the faux update.

And for Sprint Nav, what version you get will depend on which Sprint doctor you pull from. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $one$ $of$ $these$ $is$ $solid$ $with$ $2$.$x$.
    Ahhh.... I was a bit confused about things but I think I have it now.

So, as an update:

I installed sprint nav v 1.0.1-86. Everything was beautiful, Sprint Nav was there, Bing was there. Then I read your post. I rebooted and sure enough bing was gone and replaced with a Gmaps icon that only told me to try to update again. So, I removed the directory indicated above and .... viola... problem solved.

So, I guess the take home message is that if you are getting the fake update notice the best thing to do is probably to let it install - which will remove Bing, replace it with Gmaps and *might* get rid of Sprint Nav.

Once all of this happens then reinstall Bing - easiest way is probably to open Gmaps and click on the link you are presented with.

Once Bing is installed do a full reboot. If Bing is gone again, then do as instructed above... specifically use a terminal program or "linux commandline" in WebOS Quick Install to remove the Gmaps directory by typing :
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps

This is what appears to be working to get rid of the crazy notification and get you back up and running. However, has anyone figured out *** is triggering this?

ananimus, thanks for all your helpful posts!!
    ananimus likes this.
  8.    #68  
    <thread unstuck>
    dang, just found this thread. this happened to me and now my contacts no longer appear for a call or text I receive. Sucks as I have no clue who is calling or texting me.
    Re: Making Bing Maps stick after a reboot--

Can I use Internalz Pro to delete the folders instead of using the Command line method? I can't seem to figure out how XTerm works.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Re: Making Bing Maps stick after a reboot--

Can I use Internalz Pro to delete the folders instead of using the Command line method? I can't seem to figure out how XTerm works.
    Yes you can but make sure to turn on Master Mode in its preferences. If xterm is too up there, then try Wterm app.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234