Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #41  
    @ananimus - thanks for the information! I forwarded the link to your post to our contacts at the HP webOS team. Hopefully your info along with ALL of the logs and installed app lists everyone was so helpful in providing will help the webOS team pin down the bug and squash it quickly.

Thank you all!
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    Me too in the same situation. Ran the update and now Bing map doesn't stick and I have lost both apps.

Can anyone help?
    same problem .. I have stock palm pre minus on sprint, the other day I got an update notice, I kept ignoring it because I generally like to (a) read about it here first, and (b) wait for various patches to be updated... but somehow it went ahead and installed, and sure enough, now google maps icon is back, but when I click it, it goes to the 'please isntall update" white page, and every time I reboot the phone bing maps doesn't stick :-(
    If you're having this problem, please post the contents of /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_delete.txt and /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_list.txt at the point where your device has downloaded the update and is asking you to install it. If you've already hit "Install", it's too late.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/13/2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you're having this problem, please post the contents of /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_delete.txt and /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_list.txt at the point where your device has downloaded the update and is asking you to install it.

-- Rod
    I just used webosqi (which "failed" to find /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_delete.txt ) so I used internalz and navigated there.. I have neither file. I only have update_status.txt in that folder ...copying that file over to pretext folder and opening in pretext, all this file has in it is : "0" (w/o quotes) ...

I should point out I'm nearly positive the 'system update' was not 2.x for me - it said 1.4.5 update if I remember. my wife also has a pre and I remarked to her it was odd that she didn't get one....
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb777 View Post
    same problem .. I have stock palm pre minus on sprint, the other day I got an update notice, I kept ignoring it because I generally like to (a) read about it here first, and (b) wait for various patches to be updated... but somehow it went ahead and installed, and sure enough, now google maps icon is back, but when I click it, it goes to the 'please isntall update" white page, and every time I reboot the phone bing maps doesn't stick :-(
    If you're pressed to get it back, see my post back at #36 in this thread if it's already forced the update and you can no longer get Bing to stick.

Note, though, that this was on webOS 2.1. If you can verify, as I did, that the update reinstalled GMaps while leaving Bing in place, perhaps removing the GMaps folder will also work in your case.

Must re-emphasize that for me this is educated guesswork. I'm no dev like Rod Whitby. But the solution seems to be working for folks on 2.x.
    Also, I should add that I was mistaken regarding the Just Type button for Maps working since the "fix." There's a caveat.

Firstly, Maps and Wikipedia always end up at the bottom of my list of just type buttons after any restart. It never remembers that part of the order in prefs for some reason.

Secondly, the button for Maps doesn't do anything at all when I press it until after I've already opened Maps at some point since the last reset. Then it works fine.

Haven't looked into it yet...
    My pre 2 with pre plus comm board is asking me to do this update. Id be glad if someone would tell me how to get to those command lines.

My phone asked me yesterday and how I stopped it from updating was turning the phone off before setting it on the touchstone. It then turned back on and asked if I wanted to update and I said no. It then said the next time I charge it it will do the update.

I would really like to fix this problem because if I were to lose both map programs i'd probably leave webos. I really would rather not as verizon has nothing else id be interested in right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    My pre 2 with pre plus comm board is asking me to do this update. Id be glad if someone would tell me how to get to those command lines.
    If connected to your PC with Novaterm and associated drivers installed, you can get to the Pre's terminal using that. For the unfamiliar, instructions here: Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals (see right column)

For a short text file like this, from the command line you can show the contents in the terminal using the more command:
    Code:
    more /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_delete.txt
    and
    Code:
    more /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_list.txt
    (Assuming they're there.)

If you have Preware already, you could instead install Internalz. This would let you browse to the folder above then copy the two files to /media/internal so it will show up when you're connected in USB mode.

Be sure to get HelloNNNewman with a private message if you have time to send off the data Palm is asking for, too. Scratch that! They're looking for folks having the problem on webOS 2.x, as I recall.

Also, if anyone in webOS 1.x who had the update make Bing never stick after a reboot would like to help me check the "fix," let me know.
    OK, here's what it returned it exactly how I see it except where my name was and I took out the original code I typed, It repeated it back to me anyway.

com.palm.app.maps-rebooter
    root@(my name here) Palm Pre:/#
    root@(my name here again) Palm Pre:/#

more /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_list.exe
    /var/lib/update/com.palm.app.maps.ipk
    root@(my name) Palm Pre:/#
    root@(my name again) Plam Pre:/#

That's all, hope it helps.
    Remember: "Opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them, and they all stink"
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    OK, here's what it returned it exactly how I see it except where my name was and I took out the original code I typed, It repeated it back to me anyway.

com.palm.app.maps-rebooter
    root@(my name here) Palm Pre:/#
    root@(my name here again) Palm Pre:/#

more /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/update_list.exe
    /var/lib/update/com.palm.app.maps.ipk
    root@(my name) Palm Pre:/#
    root@(my name again) Plam Pre:/#

That's all, hope it helps.
    That says that the update daemon wants to delete the maps-rebooter package, and install the maps package.

Next thing is to work out why.

Look in the 'urls' file in the same directory, and you should see a version number.

Look in /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ and find the file com.palm.app.maps.control and look for the version number in that. Are they the same or different?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11.    #51  
    NOTE:
    **Important**

Thank you to all who have submitted logs and information! At the moment the HP webOS team has received enough from you all to analyze and are digging into the issue. They also have the link to this forum and are looking at the 'fixes' some members have posted.

No more logs are needed from members at this time.

Keep using this thread to discuss and hopefully we'll see a fix quickly.

Again, Thank You to all who have contributed!

-Dave
    Will comply... Note my symptoms as reported in other forum:
    Pre 2 Lunacy ...Luna restart loop... - Support Community

note... On my pre 2, not my TouchPad in spite of forum setup declaring it related to tp.

note... There are Preware app options to log all installed patches and apps for later restoration. The preware folks should easily provide with instructions similar to above whereby the complete lists can be mailed (including version numbers, support contacts, etc)

Now off to my Pre 2 to gather what I can before the phantom update starts.

----oops---- upon further reading, you don't need my log files!

Good luck! ...I hope this pointless update, to run when I return my phone to the charger, doesn't result in my having to doctor again!
    Last edited by CWFlink; 11/15/2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: read where my info no longer needed...
    Rod in #50 describes what I have on my Pre 2... Looks like there is some confusion with the change over from google maps to bing maps.

This does not explain my original luna restart loop ...to me anyway.
    The phantom upgrade seems to have been triggered by some glitch in the restore from my palm profile... Confusion over google maps stub?

I still want to hear how to diagnose the "lunacy" loop ...cause & cure.

Question: if I delete these two files, does the upgrade go away? ...become a no-op?

Thanks again and again Rod!
    Luna restarted again, just as I launched something.... It came back up, but "maps" (Bing) was replaced with the "google maps" stub. This appears to be malware by some fool who is angry with the switch to bing maps from google maps! ...unfortunately his little virus is making me mad!!!
    Random Luna restarts are a different issue as I recall, not experienced by everyone.

Back in post #36 I suggested that the update reinstalls GMaps (as Rod verified above) perhaps causing some naming conflict in webOS for all things Maps related. Any time you try to access Maps it links to the wrong one.

On webOS 2.x it's installed to a different path than Bing maps, so deleting the path where GMaps is located after the faux update then restarting the device seems to be an okay temporary fix to get Bing Maps active again. It's worked for myself and a few others with FrankenPre 2s. Just verify both paths listed in #36 exist to be sure this is your problem before removing the GMaps path (and please post back your results).

Or wait for a more thorough fix. Rod's been hard at work here getting to the cause from all these symptoms. (Thanks, Rod!)

Edit: Although someone else noted that Bing Maps got an update to 3.1.32 (iirc). Perhaps trying to reinstall from the app catalog will fix it now, fingers crossed?
    My Sprint FrankenPre2 got this notification 2 days ago and I did the update. The only changes I saw was that it went back to Google Maps but the GMap app asked me to update to the new maps anyway.

Also, all my Carrier Apps (Sprint Nav and TV, ATT YP mobile) were erased and i had to install them again.

Been working fine since.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    just checking in... am I the only one with a palm pre (minus) 1.4.5 that got this fakey update leading to non-permanent bing map installation?!
    just checking in... am I the only one with a palm pre (minus) 1.4.5 that got this fakey update leading to non-permanent bing map installation?!
    well, you could be the only one on the Pre-/1.4.5, but I have the same problem, like others
    (2, 2.1)
    No, others have this problem. There's a "fix" for 2.x, but we ned more info from someone on 1.4.5.

From post 36 in this thread:

For some, the fake OS update reinstalls GMaps and leaves Bing Maps in place. Does your Pre have both of these paths?

GMaps:
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    Bing Maps:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/
    This can be checked browsing around with Novaterm or Internalz. (verified in webOS 2.1, need to know for 1.4.5!) If so, that's the issue. The phone gets confused as both apps are called "Maps" and tries to use GMaps when called. Can be fixed by re-deleting the GMaps path then immediately rebooting. Proceed at your own risk!

From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc) run:
    Code:
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    then close and reboot.

Haven't seen any other fix short of the Doctor.

(Last time I'll spam this summary. Just trying to explain clearer since some try it with success while others seem to gloss right over this...)
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    From a command line on the Pre (novaterm, xterm, etc) run:
    Code:
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    then close and reboot.
    This worked for me, also just as a point of note the easiest way I find to this is via Webos quickinstall, tool > Linux Commandline.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast