Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emjayess
  1.    #1  
    Finally getting a GSM Pre 2 to feankenpre with my Sprint Pre-.

I wanted to make sure as to not mess this up. The main thing I needed assurance on is what the latest process is as things tend to change a little then when initially created. So in short, as of right now, what is the streamlined process to do this. Mainly just need pointers to links with the latest and greatest. Also I heard that Sprint Nav can also be installed and working. Only Sprint app I need and use.

Appreciate it, and thanks for the help in advance.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Finally getting a GSM Pre 2 to feankenpre with my Sprint Pre-.

I wanted to make sure as to not mess this up. The main thing I needed assurance on is what the latest process is as things tend to change a little then when initially created. So in short, as of right now, what is the streamlined process to do this. Mainly just need pointers to links with the latest and greatest. Also I heard that Sprint Nav can also be installed and working. Only Sprint app I need and use.

Appreciate it, and thanks for the help in advance.
    As always, use the webOS Internals Wiki.

Hardware = Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
    Software = WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    Yes, Sprint Nav is working on my Franken Pre 2.

I recommend reading everything at least twice before you start. Take most of a day (such as on a weekend) to do this (people will say it took them a few minutes or an hour--nice for them, but "Ha!"--never heard of Ubuntu before?!). The photo walk-through and the blog video don't match up, so take the best of both--compare carefully. Don't force the volume rocker.

But don't get me wrong--it's worth it.........until something crazy happens like a new iPhone coming out on Sprint, but that'll never happen.

I really love my new Pre 2, although it IS an old phone already. But the Touchstone keeps me from straying (got one in the office, one in the bedroom, and--ta da!--one in the car)--can't live without it!
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, I just finished mine. Took less time than I thought, but setting aside a day's a good idea. Most of the wait for me was copying the internal storage on/off (lots of photos/podcasts).

Also, not shown in the pictorial guide, but I'll note again here that you don't have to keep the whole back bezel of your old Pre. This isn't shown in the guide:

Where the black/white antenna wires go into the commboard you can *carefully* pry back the metal shield on the board. This will expose the wires which can *carefully* be unplugged so you can take just the board out. Likewise with the new one. Carefully popping those cables back on to the new one lets you keep the new bezel for your shiny new Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    I really love my new Pre 2, although it IS an old phone already. But the Touchstone keeps me from straying (got one in the office, one in the bedroom, and--ta da!--one in the car)--can't live without it!
    I agree! I'm still playing around getting it all patched up to my liking, but already I'm quite happy. The process didn't lose any info. The doubled speed and storage are great. And the GPS is locking darn quick again. Not to mention it's nice having all new hardware again! My space bar and headphone jack were getting pretty bad on the minus.

For me, I didn't want to give up Synergy (still don't think the competition has this quite right) or the form factor, though I was strongly considering the iPhone upgrade. Plus now I have exhibition to toy around with on the Touchstones.

This will definitely keep me happy another year or two! Hopefully by then something better comes along, webOS or no.
  6.    #6  
    So when you did yours, did you erase your backup? If so what method did you end up using for restoring all your contacts?

Gonna look at doing mine tomorrow night if possible...still need to find a T5 driver.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Found a T5 driver for $1 at the local hardware store (for hex head handle).

And I didn't erase the backup first. Just left everything as it was and pulled the trigger. No problems.

I did still do backups. There's a patch in Preware called "email contacts" or some such thing to export everything to a vcf file and email to yourself. Or do it more yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    So when you did yours, did you erase your backup? If so what method did you end up using for restoring all your contacts?

Gonna look at doing mine tomorrow night if possible...still need to find a T5 driver.
    Well, I use Companionlink for Outlook and Google, so I didn't have to worry about backing up my calendar and contacts. However, I use the must-have Homebrew app "Save/Restore" to back up everything else that the Palm Profile back up doesn't catch. When it was all said and done, my Pre 2 had everything my Pre minus had on it--except for the Homebrew "Advanced Configuration..." launcher page patches which I guess are not compatible with the Pre 2.
    Where is the best place that I can get a pre 2? i'm thinking about doing this myself.
    I got lucky and found a used one in great condition on craigslist in the area for $80. There are lots on eBay too. Sort by Auctions Only, ending soonest or Buy It Now, lowest first.

Going price right now is just over $100 for good used, or about $130 new, depending on the condition you're happy with.
    Oh, there's also no way to reimport sms messages. There is a patch to export them all to a (html?) file though.