Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By erasef301
  1.    #1  
    Hello all. I have been a launch day Sprint webOS user and LOVE webOS. I also have a launch day Touchpad. I am currently running a Verizon FrankenPre 2 on Sprint... It's a GREAT phone. However, with no certain future for webOS I am considering going with the iPhone4S on Sprint.

My question is this. If I buy the new iPhone, and therefore deactivate my frankenpre 2... Would I be able to either 1. Give my brother the frankenpre 2 and have him simply activate it on his Sprint Plan or 2. If I decided I hated the iPhone and wanted to go back to the Frankenpre 2 would it be simple to re-activate? I.e. Would I have to swap the comm board to my pre minus, activate it, swap back, etc?

Thanks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    Hello all. I have been a launch day Sprint webOS user and LOVE webOS. I also have a launch day Touchpad. I am currently running a Verizon FrankenPre 2 on Sprint... It's a GREAT phone. However, with no certain future for webOS I am considering going with the iPhone4S on Sprint.

My question is this. If I buy the new iPhone, and therefore deactivate my frankenpre 2... Would I be able to either 1. Give my brother the frankenpre 2 and have him simply activate it on his Sprint Plan or 2. If I decided I hated the iPhone and wanted to go back to the Frankenpre 2 would it be simple to re-activate? I.e. Would I have to swap the comm board to my pre minus, activate it, swap back, etc?

Thanks

I am relatively certain you have to put the comm board back in the Pre Minus, activate, and then swap back. I also think you have to re-rerun the original metadoctor you used initially in your FrankenPre.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I am in a similar situation, but I have actually made the order and will have an iPhone 4S arriving soon. My questions are as follows:

Once the sprint phone service transfers over to the new phone, will my Pre2 cease to work entirely? I.e. will I be able to continue using it as an iPod Touch-alike in WiFi only mode?

My Palm ID won't die just because I've lost phone service, will it?
    Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I am in a similar situation, but I have actually made the order and will have an iPhone 4S arriving soon. My questions are as follows:

Once the sprint phone service transfers over to the new phone, will my Pre2 cease to work entirely? I.e. will I be able to continue using it as an iPod Touch-alike in WiFi only mode?

My Palm ID won't die just because I've lost phone service, will it?
    No, as long as you don't activate another palm device on your profile, you could still use the pre2 as an iPod touch sort of thing. One thing I don't know is if the full app catalog will be available.
  5.    #5  
    Alanh,

Let me know what you think of your iPhone 4S. As I am considering it myself I have come up with (to me must have) tweaks that make it more webOS like. This does require jailbreaking your iPhone however.

However, if I end up not liking the iPhone I will give it to my fiance and go back to my Pre2. Since I have a Touchpad I won't be without webOS if I go iPhone.

webOS like tweaks for iPhone

(from Cydia)

1. TehherMe (works better than MyWi and can't be detected... MyWi won't work on TouchPad)
    2. 5-Row Keyboard
    3. WiFiSMS (text on your PC or iPad... Syncs with iPhone)
    4. Copic (show profile photos in contacts search everywhere)
    5. Anicons (icons of popular settings)
    6. MultiFl0w or LameSwitcher or CardSwitcher (card view when switching apps)
    7. AnyAttach (adds paperclip to email to attach any file)
    8. ManualCorrect (tab word choice to complete correction)
    9. SpotURL (launch websites from spotlight search)
    10. AttachmentSaver (save email attachments)
    11. iSocialShare (upload photos to facebook or twitter from within the photos app)
    12. LogoMii (change boot logo to anything you desire... I.e. PALM)
    13. RoundCorners (palm pre round corners on screen)
    14. SBSettings (settings drop down menu from top of screen... Use Transparent SBSettings theme for a cool look)
    15. Gesturizer (create custom gestures)
    16. FlashEnhancer (LED notifications on camera flash)
    17. Safari UniBar (makes search and URL bar all one bar)

GigaS27 likes this.
    Yeah, but what Cydia app gives you a gesture area, huh? Huh? /smug

*goes back to mulling over FrankenPreing or 4Sing*

Edit: Incidentally, camera flash notifications are part of iOS 5 now, iirc.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My 4S arrived on Friday and I've been pleased with it so far.

The Siri feature goes a long way towards replacing the "Just Type..." and button shortcut features, with a few caveats so far: 1. Siri can't launch applications 2. it's weird to use it in a quiet office situation.

For the shortcuts, on my Pre, I had a bunch of shortcuts for frequent calls. E.g. I had "Q" call my wife's cell, "W" call her work, "D" for my dad, and several other ones. While I could fiddle with the Phone app and put those things in Favorites, I don't feel a need to do that anymore with Siri. I can say "Call wife's cell" or "Call my father" and Siri will either prompt me for more detail ("Mobile or home?") or just go ahead and make the call. I hope they have (or add) public API's so that other applications can expand on the existing functionality.

Media syncing has been vastly better for me. I don't mind iTunes for the most part, and wired sync has worked fine. I use Aperture for my photos and while there does exist a third-party solution, the native iTunes/iPhone integration works much better. The WiFi sync is quite nice too.

Most of my Cloud data has transferred over without much effort, though my Calendar subscriptions still haven't arrived completely. Contacts and email were effortless (I use Google contacts and my work Exchange for those, though I do miss Facebook slightly, just for pictures).

Notifications under iOS 5 are greatly improved and customizable. I appreciate the fact that I don't have a section of my screen taken up when I have notifications to dismiss and the Notification Center is

I do miss gestures slightly, but it's not a big deal. "multi-tasking" hasn't been much of an issue and the quick-switcher works fine.

The thing that I miss most is the Touchstone. It's so much easier to deal with than a cable. I really wish that Apple had this feature. I'm aware of the PowerMat with sled case option, but it's just an inelegant solution to the problem. For my Pre, I have 3 Touchstones: one next to my bed, one on my desk, and one in my car. No fiddling, no mess, my device went from pocket to charging on the touchstone with no effort. In my car, I even had it mounted on the dash so that I could easily do navigation, music, etc. I also miss Exhibition to a smaller extent, but I only used that for eWeather and News.

I haven't had a crash yet and everything feels very fast. I have only noticed a slowdown once, but only in one app as it was trying to load all of my Google contacts (>1000, I think).

I preferred the feel of the "pebble" against my hand/face, but with one of the bumper cases the iPhone is good enough. The size of the phone hasn't been an impediment, I like the size of the Pre, but the iPhone is much better for me than the ever-growing Android phones. I wish they had a number row on the keyboard instead of having to switch back and forth all the time. I basically never needed to use the Sym key on my Pre, but typing my cryptic passwords on the iPhone is a minor chore when I have to switch back and forth to multiple views. The fact that the keyboard changes depending on context is a blessing and a curse. I really wish I had access to the @ and . keys all the time.

Overall, I have been quite pleased with the hardware and software. The huge range of things in the App catalog can be overwhelming, and it can be hard to find a good choice among the options.

More later, perhaps. I've rambled enough for now.

-alan
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My 4S arrived on Friday and I've been pleased with it so far.

[ ...snip... ]
    More later, perhaps. I've rambled enough for now.

-alan
    Also, to answer my previous question, so far, my FrankenPre2 has continued to work with WiFi. I have left it in Airplane Mode with WiFi on and have not rebooted it yet (just in case). However, I do recall that the last time I activated a new Pre on Sprint (due to warranty replacement after the dogs ate it), the phone almost instantly went into "sign-up" mode, so I'm playing it safe.

-alan
    Last edited by alanh; 10/17/2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: removed extraneous quoted text.
    Went the 2ing route myself as it all felt a bit like "devil you know, devil you don't." Excellent write up though! Love hearing the perspective of the webOS converts as I ponder what's next.

Are you thinking jailbreaking will be a necessity?

(Also, totally agree re: size of iPhone vs android.)
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Went the 2ing route myself as it all felt a bit like "devil you know, devil you don't." Excellent write up though! Love hearing the perspective of the webOS converts as I ponder what's next.

Are you thinking jailbreaking will be a necessity?

(Also, totally agree re: size of iPhone vs android.)
    So far, I don't see anything that is driving me to jailbreak. Sure, it would be nice if Apple was more hacker-friendly and dropped their draconian anti-jailbreaking practices. I do see a couple of things that I would change (e.g. make the status bar show date and time, not just time). On my Pre, I ran like 40+ patches along as I recall, and on my Pre2, I'm running only 30 (both had überkernel as well).

I don't feel compelled to jailbreak yet. (not that the 4S has a jailbreak available that I'm aware of....)
  11. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    So far, I don't see anything that is driving me to jailbreak. Sure, it would be nice if Apple was more hacker-friendly and dropped their draconian anti-jailbreaking practices. I do see a couple of things that I would change (e.g. make the status bar show date and time, not just time). On my Pre, I ran like 40+ patches along as I recall, and on my Pre2, I'm running only 30 (both had überkernel as well).

I don't feel compelled to jailbreak yet. (not that the 4S has a jailbreak available that I'm aware of....)
    is there free tethering on the 4S