1.    #1  
    Hey all y'all webOS peeps,

Here in the land-o-plenty (south Bay Area CA), we have a slew of discount new webOS devices. I don't have enough money to get a Pre3 (if someone wants me to act as middleman, there are TONS here for good prices around $200).

The option is to either get a Veer or a Pre 2. Pros/Cons:

Veer:
    Con: Built-in battery
    Con: No headphone jack
    Con: Teeny tiny screen (livable since I used to own a Pixi a long time ago)
    Pro: I hear the build quality is MUCH better
    Pro: Touch-to-share (I own a TouchPad)

Pre 2:
    Pro: Faster processor
    Pro:Easily replaceable battery
    Pro: Headphone jack built-in
    Pro: Big Screen
    Con: No Touch-to-share
    Con: Bad build quality? Shoddy slider mechanism?

What do you Pre 2 owners think?
    You won't get touch-to-share on the Veer unless an update hits, which we have no real reason to expect will at this point. Aka, don't buy it just hoping for that.
    Veer: no TTS, waiting for a software update which may never come (dev team members saying phone co's won't update as device is no longer receiving HP upgrades)

big plus: small size, if that is important to you, then phone great for use, just make sure not to lose it as small size makes it easy to slip out of pocket (i am awaiting mine to get returned from being left in rental car)
    also can use HTC or other prepaid providers

minus: small size makes it hard to read large amounts of web pages, if you don't care about this, then go for it
    build: looks good but there are times I did forget to pack its charging cord and touchpad charging cord will not work; likewise I usually use bluetooth but once I wanted to use wired headphone and did not bring the special jack

Pre2:
    big plus is phone is large enough to read webpages
    build is fine
    is available on vzw as well as GSM

con: I have been having problems with freezing, I just increased the swap size and am hoping that will work (so far so good),
    others had to disable backup and some other solutions (see Palm Pre 2 freezing, poor battery life threads)
    If you're lucky, you will be one of the users who don't have this problem--caveat emptor.

If you can get me a vzw pre3 for reasonable price, please pm me

Thanks
    Both, I love them both.

I like the Veer volume, power, mute switch better than Pre.

The Veer web browsing is not as nice as Pre. Also less apps available on the Veer would be the 2 real down sides.

1 added plus is the Veer "4G" especially if you will be doing some tethering to a TouchPad.

If you use bluetooth and have touchstones are around the not having built in plugs on the Veer is no big deal. The wife and I already had a ton of Touchstones and they can be purchased for $5 (bought a few extra) so that wasn't a big deal for us. Bluetooth in the cars and just picked up a BT to FM adapter for the cars that don't have some other bluetooth solution.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Pre2 hands down, of course it all comes down to your preference.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Pre2 hands down, of course it all comes down to your preference.
    +1
    I had the same decision and went with the Pre 2 because it comes in the factory unlocked variety (the one I got) and AT&T doesn't know it's a smartphone so I get unlimited data for $10/month on our family plan.
    wish we had been on att before so we could get that 10 data. Need to go grab a dumbphone from the family that has been on art to see if we can switch that over. Then again have 4g Sims right now. (for veers)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    wish we had been on att before so we could get that 10 data. Need to go grab a dumbphone from the family that has been on art to see if we can switch that over. Then again have 4g Sims right now. (for veers)
    It probably wouldn't be too hard to find a friend or someone else that has an old dumbphone lying around that you could borrow for a short period of time. I hope AT&T doesn't catch me somehow. When I sent the data usage message last to see if the unlimited plan was still working, there was a link at the bottom that brought me to the smartphone plans page. I haven't received any e-mails and there aren't any messages on my OLAM regarding it, though, so I guess I'm safe for now.
    lol doesn't really matter for us, we aren't near our data cap, the 10 a month would have been nice...

either way been happy with our att service
    200 MB was just barely too little, but I was too cheap for the 2 GB plan. :P A 500 MB plan would have been perfect for my uses. AT&T has good cellular service for us, the disappointment for us comes from their customer service. They were unable to transfer an AT&T GoPhone number to a contract plan at first. It took them a week to figure it out.