Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    If I swap comm boards between a Palm Pre 2 and a Pre Minus , do I have to meta doctor the device to 2.x or can I just keep using it as a 1.4.5 device? Reason I ask is after reading how to meta doctor the device I find it a little compiclated and just would rather swap boards and go as is with the current WebOS version from my Pre Minus.

Thanks
    iirc you have to go to 2.x because the device has 2.x on it. you are only swapping in the pre- com board which doesnt contain the OS
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks man , ... sigh... guess imma have to figure out how to do this meta dr thing since im stuck on sprint and desperately need a new phone but cant get a Pre 3!!!
    I know what you mean. I've been reading over the instructions the past couple of nights to get ready for my big conversion tomorrow night. I'm kind of dreading it, but I have a feeling it's not as hard as it seems. I think just the excitement of having a Pre 2 will give me the will to do it though
    Not as hard as it seems. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I can answer within 10 minutes if I have my phone on me.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha just post here. If you follow instructions closely its really a painless quick process.
    if it helps any, I was also dreading the software upgrade part. But after doing it, I can definitely say that the software part was easier than the hardware part. I used the windows ubuntu executable (I think its called wubi.exe), rebooted, and booted into Ubuntu. It figured out all of my wireless network drivers and all I had to do was point it to the right AP and enter the key.

After I had internet connectivity, I just ran the commands in a command shell and it did its thing. It took a while, so I watched TV while the magic happened.

After booting the pre into 2.x and signing in, it spent the next hour downloading all of my apps!

Everything has been great since!

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    If I swap comm boards between a Palm Pre 2 and a Pre Minus , do I have to meta doctor the device to 2.x or can I just keep using it as a 1.4.5 device? Reason I ask is after reading how to meta doctor the device I find it a little compiclated and just would rather swap boards and go as is with the current WebOS version from my Pre Minus.

Thanks
    You WANT WebOS 2. Trust me. You do.

I've been on a Sprint Pre 2 Frankpre for 6 months, and just wish I did it sooner.

The software part isn't bad - if it doesn't work, just start over. I did it on the Mac, no issues, worked first time. The hardware part isn't bad either, just some of the images are blurry, and separating the pieces takes some bravery. But really, not counting screws, there are only a handful of parts to take apart and put together.

And if you totally blow it, grab a sprint iphone, and call it a day.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    ananimus and mastercko like this.
  9.    #9  
    Im guessing to the folks that have made meta drs for there sprint pre 2's they cant share them as that would be some sort of piracy issue correct? if not id pay for someones meta dr they already made and is it same as a regular dr .. just click on the .jar file and go?
    I don't recall having t make a meta dr. For my 2...just run the scripts off the Wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    I don't recall having t make a meta dr. For my 2...just run the scripts off the Wiki
    I just used the VZ 2.1 doctor after switching my pre- comm board into the Verizon Pre2.. No sprint apps and I just pulled in sprint navigator from the directions someone else posted here in the forums...

been running frankenpre2 for about 3 weeks now and only problem has been with yahoo mail 1299 error
  12.    #12  
    wait so you swapped the boards from a sprint pre to a vz pre 2 then webos dr using the regular vz webos dr?
    Im guessing to the folks that have made meta drs for there sprint pre 2's they cant share them as that would be some sort of piracy issue correct? if not id pay for someones meta dr they already made and is it same as a regular dr .. just click on the .jar file and go?
    You're correct, distributing the meta-doctor violates the copyright - you are permitted to alter the doctor yourself for personal use, but you can not them distribute it to others.

It's really easy to do thanks to the internals crew. Follow the instructions on the wiki and you can't really go wrong. The scripts there create the meta-doctor for you. I tonk the whole process including swapping the board took no longer than 2 hours.
    Just finished my first one with an unlocked Pre 2.

It was really, really easy. I had done all of the ubuntu work last night just so I would be ready, but the dis assembly and such was simple. And with the 15 seconds I've used webOS 2.1 so far... It's so excellent. And the Pre 2... Wow...

Do it, fast Can't wait to mess with this thing at work tomorrow.
    wait so you swapped the boards from a sprint pre to a vz pre 2 then webos dr using the regular vz webos dr?
    yep... I had gone thru the process of running the metadoc script but wound up just using the vz 2.1 doctor
    Using the regular Verizon Dr. worked for me.
    Ugh. I've been trying to resist. But 2s are only $100 on ebay now.

I'd like some new hardware. I've held a 2 and know it's wonderful. I know this will let me get new hardware without upping the contract, spending up on a new phone or accepting that $10 data premium. Everyone says 2ing is easy thanks to the devs (and LOTS of folks seem to be twoing now again).

I bought a new $3 Amazon battery for my minus hoping that would make me feel better like it did last time. Sigh...

*switches to his Ubuntu partition to start reading the wiki...*
    I'm sorry... I know this question might be stupid, but I have webOS Doctor running already in Windows 7. I used it to root my Pre and put a new kernel on it. Why is Linux needed at all?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Because you need to install a the sprint metadoctor. Which can only be built through linux.
    I had a sprint pre+ and got an evo 3d when it died but now really considering getting a pre2 and selling my evo.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast