Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone find a good hard case? Kinda worried about my Pre2 after seeing a couple folks shatter screens recently.

I have the Sprint (GRT style) hard case from my Pre and it snaps on, the Pre2 is snug in there, feels like there might be a lil more pressure on the plastic slider of the case than was on the Pre... maybe it's just because I have gotten used to not having a case on a phone for 3 months (first Veer now Pre2).

Anyone else running a Pre/Pre+ hard case with the slider rails on a Pre2?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Anyone find a good hard case? Kinda worried about my Pre2 after seeing a couple folks shatter screens recently.

I have the Sprint (GRT style) hard case from my Pre and it snaps on, the Pre2 is snug in there, feels like there might be a lil more pressure on the plastic slider of the case than was on the Pre... maybe it's just because I have gotten used to not having a case on a phone for 3 months (first Veer now Pre2).

Anyone else running a Pre/Pre+ hard case with the slider rails on a Pre2?
    Hiya

I tried the GRT case on my '2. It felt a little too snug, and I was worried about screwing up the slider mechanism (as opposed to the great job of protecting it the case did on the Pre+), so I took it off.

I had put the case aside on my desk, planning to look at it more closely and see if a bit of well-aimed sanding (maybe on the inside of the corners, where my gut tells me the edges of the glass screen stand out the most)... but it's been 3 months!

In the meantime, are you using any screen protector on the Pre2? I'm running "au-naturel" at the moment...
  3.    #3  
    so far just using the one that came on it (cut the tab off)

looking at getting a screen protector soon, and I was thinking about busting out the dremel to sand down the case as well
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Have either of you had any luck modding the case to fit the pre 2 yet? Just picked one up and will be trying my hand at it in a day or so. Just curious if anyone has had any success.
    I'm happy with my Phantomskinz for a screen protector. As for the case, modifying the Pre (+) GRT case seems to be the only option for getting a GRT case for the Pre 2. I e-mailed the company that makes them (AGF or something like that) and they have no plans on making one for it.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btbkilla View Post
    Have either of you had any luck modding the case to fit the pre 2 yet? Just picked one up and will be trying my hand at it in a day or so. Just curious if anyone has had any success.
    I took my old AGF case off my Pre Plus and after some dremmel work got it to fit my Pre 2 better. The slider doesn't seem to be "under pressure" like it was before the dremmeling. The only bad thing was it was cracked and glued from a drop with my Pre Plus and the dremmelling cause the break to reappear, so I ordered another one and will dremmel it when it comes in.

When it comes in, I'll post some pics of the work.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    I took my old AGF case off my Pre Plus and after some dremmel work got it to fit my Pre 2 better. The slider doesn't seem to be "under pressure" like it was before the dremmeling. The only bad thing was it was cracked and glued from a drop with my Pre Plus and the dremmelling cause the break to reappear, so I ordered another one and will dremmel it when it comes in.

When it comes in, I'll post some pics of the work.
    That would be fantastic! Thank you soo much
    When it comes in, I'll post some pics of the work
    I have to say I am curious to see what you did as well..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    so cases came in yesterday and I modded two...the silver one and the older one I had....the older one was a little rough anyway so when I was done I sanded it down and painted it with truck bedliner spraypaint to make up for all the material I dremeled out to fit the Pre 2. I'll post pics later but I really like the sprayed on...good grip and feels good knowing if I drop it it should do good in protecting the phone.
    Been suffering with an AGF case for my Pre 2 that is 95% there..

As others have said, the slider mechanism is just slightly off. When closed, it's ok, just snug. But when you open the phone, the top half of the case slips out of the grove.. (Due to a slight shape difference..)

So close, to be right, it's driving me nuts examining it every couple of days to try and brainstorm what I could do to make it fit right.. Late to work this morning, again as I got lost in looking at it..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    sorry I haven't posted pics yet....finals this week....all I did was use a dremel to remove material from the inside of the top part of the case and just kept doing trial fits. U want the top to be flush with the seam like it is on a Pre Plus. Mine is awesome and the fit is snug and smooth. Be careful when you dremel as you can easily remove too much and cut through it. Its better to just cut a little, fit, remove more, fit, and so forth....
    NTJ,

!!!!! Please Focus on Finals !!!!!
    No worries.. That's definitely more important and totally understandable.

One question, however when you need a study break..
    you say "remove material from the inside of the top part of the case"

I can't figure out where to start the work..
    Do you just try and bring down the teeny tabs on the insides (seem like there are 4?), or are you trying to flatten out / create a grove along the long sides of the case for the top side edges of the phone to slip into ?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    NTJ,

!!!!! Please Focus on Finals !!!!!
    No worries.. That's definitely more important and totally understandable.

One question, however when you need a study break..
    you say "remove material from the inside of the top part of the case"

I can't figure out where to start the work..
    Do you just try and bring down the teeny tabs on the insides (seem like there are 4?), or are you trying to flatten out / create a grove along the long sides of the case for the top side edges of the phone to slip into ?
    Done with finals...whew!!!!

Basically the goal is to remove material on all sides to create a vertical face as opposed to the slope of the Pre/Pre Plus. I have actually done two, an old one and the chrome one. The chrome one fits well, but the old one was the one I painted with truck bedliner spray paint and then let it cure in front of a small heater. By removing the material to make the cover fit, the plastic loses strength, but the bedliner paint adds strength and a better gripping surface. I have already dropped the phone once on concrete and there are no marks at all on the phone or case, plus the case didn't pop off. The paint drys to a flat finish ( I painted th old one, not the chrome one). I would also recommend if anyone wanted to paint theirs to use 800 grit sandpaper to rough up the case so the paint will grab better.

The pics aren't very clear but in one you will see the angle I was holding the dremel at. This is key to create this vertical face. The best advice I can offer is to just take it slow and work to get the case to be flush with the bottom of the screen part of the slider. I ruined one because I got too aggressive and cut through the front.

I can't get a great pic of the case close up to show the finish because my Pre won't take the pic that close, however when I get off tonight I'll use my digi camera to take a pic of the case on the Pre 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    I used a case for my pre-,haven't bothered with one on my pre2.I prefer the commando feel of the pre2.

Sent from my fingers using tapatalk
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    I used a case for my pre-,haven't bothered with one on my pre2.I prefer the commando feel of the pre2.

I liked mine commando also until I dropped it and scratched the crap out of the plastic right under the screen on the upper left side. I realized how close that could have been to break the screen and then decided to work on the case.

RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Nice work!

I think I see what your doing now: squaring off the inside of the top case, to make it more of a right angle and not the gentle curve it is now. Of course, a little bit at a time, since it's more art than science...

By the way, this AGF case saved my Pre+ about 8 months ago, when it slipped out of my pants pocket and out an open car door and hit the tarmac. The case cracked but the phone was just fine. Thus it's a no brainner for me to try figure out how to make it work with my new Pre 2.. Just hope any mod's won't destroy it's protective ability.

PS: They are going for under 6 on Amazon.. It's a steal..I think I got my original one for close to 30 or 40?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    I liked mine commando also until I dropped it and scratched the crap out of the plastic right under the screen on the upper left side. I realized how close that could have been to break the screen and then decided to work on the case.
    Fair do's!

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Nice work!

I think I see what your doing now: squaring off the inside of the top case, to make it more of a right angle and not the gentle curve it is now. Of course, a little bit at a time, since it's more art than science...

By the way, this AGF case saved my Pre+ about 8 months ago, when it slipped out of my pants pocket and out an open car door and hit the tarmac. The case cracked but the phone was just fine. Thus it's a no brainner for me to try figure out how to make it work with my new Pre 2.. Just hope any mod's won't destroy it's protective ability.

PS: They are going for under 6 on Amazon.. It's a steal..I think I got my original one for close to 30 or 40?
    I picked up my news ones for about 5 or 6 also...

You're right, its creating that angle. It does remove a fair amount of the strength, that's why I chose to paint it with the bedliner paint. I'm pretty happy with it!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Here are some updated pics....finally dug out my camera.

As you can see from the cover, there is alot of material removed. The case overall fits good and you really can't tell its a Pre 2 when in the case. The goal is to get the top half of the case to be almost flush with the bottom of the screen section, as you can see in the pic with the phone opened. I can't stress the need enough to take your time and remove just little bits of material at a time, test fit, then remove more.

In regards to the paint, I had seen a TV show a year or so ago where they put bedliner spray in a truck and blew it up. The bed showed a lot less damage due to the rubber in the liner and the way it absorbed the impact. It made me think about how an Otterbox works also, being rubberized. As I stated previously, I dropped the phone once already and it has no marks on the phone or case and has a much better grip feel to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    I took a different approach. I previously had a Seidio case for my Pre-. I liked the case as i could use the TouchStone with the case. The drawback was that because it was thin enough for the charger to work through the case, it was fairly fragile. The tabs were not very hardy and broke off quite easily and at $30 a case that did not make me too happy.

So since I was not willing to pay for the Seidio case and I wanted a case that would allow me to use the TouchStone, I just got a regular cheap case on eBay (in the color that I wanted) and modified it. I cut out a hole in the back for the TouchStone to fit in (like the GRT case). I used a chisel to cut a rough hole through the fairly thick plastic and then used a dremel to smooth the edges and shape the hole until it fit nicely. It doesn't look extremely elegant, but it certainly is serviceable and I am happy with the protection it affords.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast