1.    #1  
    Well, I'm livid ...

I bought a Pre2 when they first came out, then a couple months ago, I dropped it and broke the screen - badly enough to make it hard to read near the bottom of the screen, but it still worked in every other way - even the touchscreen functions still worked; I just had to put a screen protector on it so I didn't cut myself on a sharp edge. I used it for another month, then bought a new one on eBay, and I've been keeping the old one around as a music player, an alarm, a note taker, an e-reader - it was handy!

Tonight, for the first time since I replaced it, I took it out of the house and away from my wireless network, and within 10 minutes, it rebooted on me and now I can't do ANYTHING with it - all I have access to is a screen to log into my Palm Profile, or to create a new profile! What the hell is this? How can I get back to MY STUFF on MY DEVICE, and use it MY WAY? Just because I'm not using it as a phone is no reason I shouldn't be able to use it AT ALL.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I find this to be utter <<mod delete>> also, and I hope someone has a workaround for for this. I now have a pre 2 but have 2 perfectly find pixi+'s laying around that I should at least be able to use the music player on, as well as email and web via wifi. The first time I really got sand bagged. The drone at the verizon store told me i'd be able to access the info on the old phone after i logged into the new one, so i didn't bother to get some of the info off of it that i needed.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/07/2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrope View Post
    Well, I'm livid ...

I bought a Pre2 when they first came out, then a couple months ago, I dropped it and broke the screen - badly enough to make it hard to read near the bottom of the screen, but it still worked in every other way - even the touchscreen functions still worked; I just had to put a screen protector on it so I didn't cut myself on a sharp edge. I used it for another month, then bought a new one on eBay, and I've been keeping the old one around as a music player, an alarm, a note taker, an e-reader - it was handy!

Tonight, for the first time since I replaced it, I took it out of the house and away from my wireless network, and within 10 minutes, it rebooted on me and now I can't do ANYTHING with it - all I have access to is a screen to log into my Palm Profile, or to create a new profile! What the hell is this? How can I get back to MY STUFF on MY DEVICE, and use it MY WAY? Just because I'm not using it as a phone is no reason I shouldn't be able to use it AT ALL.
    Just put it in developer mode:

Start typing #* (the keyboard should appear if you can see it) and type the rest of the sequence 3386633# (so #*3386633# in all) and press the call button.
    Calm down a bit, the answer is above as well as in other posts. I'm sure a little forum searching would have saved you from some unnecessary anger.
  5.    #5  
    Sorry - I'm just a user, not a developer; my mind doesn't automatically go there, nor do I read through every thread on this forum to know that as a matter of course.

Case in point, even though those instructions may be obvious to someone who does do these things, I'm sitting here with no choice but a screen to either log into my Palm Profile or to create a new one. Typing in the code above on the physical keyboard, what is the "call button?" I have the power button, and that turns the screen off and nothing more. I have volume buttons, and neither of those cause anything to happen. I can get to the onscreen keypad by choosing to call customer servce and then canceling the call; if I then type in the code above and press the green 'call' button onscreen, I get a message that my mobile number is either not active or is invalid. So I'm back where I started: with a non-active phone, I can't use it for anything at all.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but I don't know enough to know what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrope View Post
    Sorry - I'm just a user, not a developer; my mind doesn't automatically go there, nor do I read through every thread on this forum to know that as a matter of course.

Case in point, even though those instructions may be obvious to someone who does do these things, I'm sitting here with no choice but a screen to either log into my Palm Profile or to create a new one. Typing in the code above on the physical keyboard, what is the "call button?" I have the power button, and that turns the screen off and nothing more. I have volume buttons, and neither of those cause anything to happen. I can get to the onscreen keypad by choosing to call customer servce and then canceling the call; if I then type in the code above and press the green 'call' button onscreen, I get a message that my mobile number is either not active or is invalid. So I'm back where I started: with a non-active phone, I can't use it for anything at all.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but I don't know enough to know what.
    Understandable... I just tend to find every little hint and power tip for any device I own... gotta love google.

When your phone is in that state (non-activated), when you start to type #* the phone screen should appear as if you are going to make a call. Finish the sequence 3386633# on the phone dial pad and then hit the CALL or dial button as if you are going to make a phone call. The sequence is actually alpha "##DEVMODE#" (no quotes).

Here is the Palm/HP page (last items): https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

Come back here is you are still having issues...
  7.    #7  
    Following that link, am I correct or incorrect in assuming I have to put the phone in recovery mode BEFORE I try typing in the code for developer mode? Because when I try typing in anything while it's showing me the "log in to your Palm Profile" screen, nothing happens. The only thing that appears to be active is that screen itself, and the little phone icon below it that allows me to either make a 911 call or call customer service. That's it.
    Ptrope, you can dial using the keyboard buttons.
    Hold down the Option key (or double press it) and type: #*

once you get that far, the dialpad should pop up. complete the rest of the code.
  9.    #9  
    Finally!

Unfortunately, now that I got there, I see that despite my having responded to just restart and NOT erase all my data, it appears to have done so anyway - all the apps I downloaded are gone. Is it safe or even possible to log into my Palm Profile at this point and restore it, or will this then affect my functioning phone?

Thanks for the help!
    (Added: You will be starting over with a new dr'ed pre)

Here's what I have done in the past... put a SIMM from your other phone in it (an activated one). Boot it up, log into your account... let it sync. Then turn on wifi. Shut it down, pull the SIMM, and start it back up. Put it in Airplane mode, then turn on wifi separately. Now you're golden.

The part I am not sure about (you may have said, but I am too tired to re-read it) is what your new phone is. If it is a Pre 3 like I now have, after I updated the FW on the Pre 3, the Pre 2 would no longer load the profile and actually caused the Pre 2 to just hang on a reboot. I had to do a restore and then create a new profile for it (which means my apps are no longer authenticated so I have to re-purchase them under the new account).

So in a nutshell, putting the phone in dev mode like I mentioned above makes the phone usable, but you cannot load your apps because there is no profile (and you have to start over to load one). I failed to think of this the first time, so try the above method.

Good luck and good night...
    Last edited by Prdamrican; 10/07/2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: freakin' typos, lol