1.    #1  
    Shout out to loyal palm users. My loyalty is running thin!

Yet another Palm Pre Plus (3rd in warranty) has hit the skids. This time my earpiece stopped working. Because I'm a loyal customer since 1999 Verizon has offered to replace with Pre 2 (nice), new battery (nice), no back cover (bad), and NO FREE MOBILE HOTSPOT (very bad)!

Is this absolutely not an option on the Pre 2-- the free mobile hotspot?

They've tried to convince me to go Iphone, gave me great pricing, but I love the web OS multitasking windows, tactile keyboard, and free hotspot.

I don't know what to do!! Any advice???
    freeTether in Preware?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    sledge is correct. FreeTether gives you a mobile wifi hotspot and there is no data cap like there is with Verizon's app. As long as you have unlimited data w/ Verizon, you will find freeTether a excellent ( and FREE!) alternative.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Go for the Pre 2. FreeTether is great!
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    +1 go with the 2. Much better battery life too especially over CDMA.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I too had a Pre+ which was running fine. I am a loyalist also and I wanted a Pre 2 so I would have a Palm device for at least another couple of years. I purchased a brand new in the box from Ebay and it was the best decision I have made in a while. The phone smokes. It just feels much more solid than the + and the software is much nicer. I lauched the Freehot spot and it appeared to still work. I did not try to connect but I believe the service still works for me. I have heard others say that when they tried to launch it it would tell them that it was a paid service. Maybe because I just substituted devices the service is unaltered. Get one off Ebay for $150 and you will get to retain your unlimited data plan if you have one. I do.

Good luck.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    No back cover on the Pre2? Sounds odd, but you should be able to pop on your Pre+ back cover, and new back covers are about $5 shipped.

Either way, Free Tether should cover that need and the Pre2 is a much better phone than original Pre series. Not quite as nice construction as the HP built phones (at least the Veer in my experience), but way better than previous versions. Glass screen is awesome.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Interesting. i am on my 3rd PrePlus as well and have recently had trouble within weeks or receiving my newest device. I asked Verizon about the 2 and they said they couldnt help me until my contract comes due.

For the first time in years I am actually thinking about jumping ship. Although If i could get a 2 as a replacement I would proably be set for a year or so.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yes, when we changed my daughters pre+ for a new Pre2 (upgrade not new) we got hit with the charge for the hot spot function. In a call to them they stated that ONLY the Pre+ (I thought the Pixi had it too but I could be mistaken) ever had the free hot spot & all others must pay.

Interestingly after that experience & the lack of 4G support I decided, reluctantly, to go with an Android Bionic. Got hit again for the hot spot fee BUT it was for unlimited use! Not the 2gb she was limited to. Why I don't know but I won't complain as higher speed and unlimited data is a great trade off for a few dollars extra. Unlike the Pre2 where the speed/service is the same as before, is limited to 2gb and costs $20/month. Not an attractive deal I'm afraid.

There is no rhyme or reason to it.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    Interesting. i am on my 3rd PrePlus as well and have recently had trouble within weeks or receiving my newest device. I asked Verizon about the 2 and they said they couldnt help me until my contract comes due.

For the first time in years I am actually thinking about jumping ship. Although If i could get a 2 as a replacement I would proably be set for a year or so.
    Verizon has a policy that three strikes on a device and you can get a new one. I used that to go from the 700P to the 755P. You should inquire about using that to get a new Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thank you very much. I will try that. Do you recommend speaking to them at a store or calling customer service.
    Thank you very much. I will try that. Do you recommend speaking to them at a store or calling customer service.
    This is not specific to VZW, but if you have a store close I would go in and inquire. I find you will usually get better service from folks when you are face to face, especially in retail/service situations where the manager doesn't want a complaint going to corporate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Call in they are so much more willing to help you out.

My wife had issues with her fascinate and she went ito the store and they looked like she had 2 heads (she would miss calls and the phone wouldn't show it except in the call log) I called the support and they sent another phone which i knew would have the same issue and when she missed the next call i called back and they replaced it as it was a known issue that the software update was supposed to fix but never did...

now she sports a x2
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I discussed it with customer service on the phone and in the store. As of recently this was a Verizon policy and everyone knew about it. Be insistent and good luck. The Pre 2is well worth the effort.
    If you can get a Pre2 via another means - you can transfer your com board from the Pre Plus to the Pre2 and keep the free hotspot. This is really only an issue if you have a newer VZW data plan with limits - since the hotspot is a separate 5gb bucket from the phone's data.

If you are grandfathered for unlimited - then freetether is probably fine.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    Yes, when we changed my daughters pre+ for a new Pre2 (upgrade not new) we got hit with the charge for the hot spot function. In a call to them they stated that ONLY the Pre+ (I thought the Pixi had it too but I could be mistaken) ever had the free hot spot & all others must pay.

Interestingly after that experience & the lack of 4G support I decided, reluctantly, to go with an Android Bionic. Got hit again for the hot spot fee BUT it was for unlimited use! Not the 2gb she was limited to. Why I don't know but I won't complain as higher speed and unlimited data is a great trade off for a few dollars extra. Unlike the Pre2 where the speed/service is the same as before, is limited to 2gb and costs $20/month. Not an attractive deal I'm afraid.

There is no rhyme or reason to it.
    Thanks for input everyone! I am going to go with the Pre-2 and try the Free Tethering. Are there several options for this, or do you recommend any particular one?

Unclevanya- I'm on unlimited data and that will carry over on my warranty replacement. Transferring the com board... sounds scary. Easy to do?

Thanks again for the help! This forum is awesome!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    If you have unlimited data, ignore the comm swap option. Download the .99 cent Preware Homebrew documentation app from the app store (or search these forums for getting preware on your pre 2 if you don't want to support the hb community) then once you have preware installed you can dl the free tethered app. Unlike the mobile hotspot program, it gets its data from your data plan, not Verizon's mobile hotspot allocation. I recently went from the plus to the 2 and this program works just as well.
    i went through multiple palm pre + and pixi + on verizon. After having a line w verizon for over ten years it only took one phone call to customer service and a Pre2 was on its way. The best phone i've ever owned and so glad i did it.

they too forced me to use my old pre+ touchstone back.. But a few days ago i just ordered one for $5 bucks shipped from Amazon

+1 about free tether. I dont miss verizon mobile hotspot one bit. And for clarity, the Pixi also had MHS for free. (5 gigs)