1.    #1  
    Hello Everybody.

Just got a new Pre 2, to replace my old cracked Pre 2 :P

I'm incredibly satisfied with it, its fast, and the screen is so immaculate

One concerning issue I've had is the keyboard though. For some reason, the backlight is only lighting the middle of the keyboard. Around the "T" and "Y" in "QWERTY", and the rest aren't as bright. The light seems to fall off towards the edges.

Enough crappy describing, here's a photo:

It's even worse in person, especially in a dark room.

Now I live in Australia, so I don't believe there is much I can do to get it seen to. Palm would fix it under warranty, but wouldn't offer to pay the hideous fee just to get the phone over to the states.

Anything I could do? Or will I just have to live with it?

Thanks guys,

Gavin
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Well thats quite weird. I had this problem start to show up on my pixi- but now nearly as bad. Did it come like this?
    I'd just start saving money to pay for the hideous fee, because the defect might spread and leave you with a totally unlit keyboard in the future. You may temporarily deal with it by using a higher screen brightness, since that also makes the keyboard light up more.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Well thats quite weird. I had this problem start to show up on my pixi- but now nearly as bad. Did it come like this?
    Opened the brand new box late last week, pulled out the phone, booted it, and the issue became evident.

Quote Originally Posted by RfromR View Post
    I'd just start saving money to pay for the hideous fee, because the defect might spread and leave you with a totally unlit keyboard in the future. You may temporarily deal with it by using a higher screen brightness, since that also makes the keyboard light up more.
    It isn't the cost that is the frustration, but also the fact that I won't have a phone for a month or two....again. Right now the issue is bearable, what makes you think it will get worse?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post

It isn't the cost that is the frustration, but also the fact that I won't have a phone for a month or two....again. Right now the issue is bearable, what makes you think it will get worse?

I can't predict it will definitely get worse, but IMO in general there's a higher risk of future problems with a product that already has issues as compared to a product that functions perfectly. It doesn't have to be like that, but when you add the fact that it's still under warranty, I'd let the repair folks find out and let them take action.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RfromR View Post
    I can't predict it will definitely get worse, but IMO in general there's a higher risk of future problems with a product that already has issues as compared to a product that functions perfectly. It doesn't have to be like that, but when you add the fact that it's still under warranty, I'd let the repair folks find out and let them take action.
    Its a tough decision to make. I'm so happy with everything for my new Pre 2, but this is the only issue that is for concern :/

Plus, it will cost me about $50 for postage to the states, and that isn't a particular safe and secure method either :/

what happens when you change the screen brightness on your phone since the keyboard and screen are linked for that setting?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    what happens when you change the screen brightness on your phone since the keyboard and screen are linked for that setting?
    The brighter the screen, the more noticeable the issue is.

In a properly lit room, I can have the keyboard light off fine..but in a dark room, it becomes very obvious.

It seems that the issue isnt the outer keys aren't lit, but comparing to my other webOS devices, it looks like the middle ones are just way overlit.

That looks awesome.

I would love to have this 'problem.' just sayin'
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That looks awesome.

I would love to have this 'problem.' just sayin'
    Yeah it does look prettty funky. :P
    Want to trade Pre 2s?