1.    #1  
    I have an unlocked gsm pre 2 running 2.1.0 firmware.

I've been having this problem with ringtone and alarm sounds for a while now. It happened both before and after a webos doctor, and are intermittent, I can not duplicate them at will. It's starting to drive me crazy.

First of all, the alarm tone. I have it set to play an mp3 that I put on the phone. I've noticed that whenever the phone is on the touchstone, rather than play my own mp3 it plays the default alert tone. I hit snooze and take the phone off the touchstone, and the next time it goes off it's the correct song. I can only assume that this is because of the touchstone..? I don't really know.

Second, ringtones. Again, I have set my own mp3 as my ringtone (Bananaphone, I just couldn't resist). Randomly, instead of playing my song it will play the default alert instead. When it does this, it also seems to show me the notification on the screen that a call is coming in long before the phone starts to vibrate or play any sound at all. I wonder if the delay is caused by the phone's inability to play the ringtone, and therefore it defaults back to the standard alert tone? I CAN NOT get it to do this when I call myself, so I can't really test it. When I check in the sound settings, the ringtone I selected is still selected.

Also, occasionally the phone won't ring at all, or vibrate, despite the fact that my settings are verified to be correct. I thought I was just not hearing it, but I was actually looking right at the phone one day.. the screen showed a call coming in, but the phone made no sound at all (nor did it vibrate). I ended up with a missed call notification.

Does anyone else have any issues like this? Were you able to fix it?? I can deal with an unreliable alarm, but I can not deal with an unreliable phone.. I need to know when I'm getting a call!
  2.    #2  
    No replies, I'm guessing no one else has this issue. Or, at least, no one else is bothered by it.

Just an update here.. of the last 5 days, one of the days it played the alarm tone that I set. All the rest it played the default notification sound instead. I have changed nothing in my alarm settings, I have no idea why it worked the one day and not any of the others.

I should try plugging it in without the touchstone one night to see if it makes a difference.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear. Have you tried using the Mode Switcher app? It's very useful, find it in Preware. I believe it could solve your problem.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    How do you think it could help? Does it do something to alarms, specifically?

I feel like an ***** when I try to use Mode Switcher. I've installed it, played with some settings, then uninstalled it out of frustration twice already. I just can't seem to understand how to set things up in this program, even using the user guide.
    Mode Switcher isn't going to fix this that I know of. Not sure what the problem is, but the wife has it on her Pre2, I haven't noticed it on mine (I have some other non related issues though).

Not sure if this is Pre2 specific, 2.1 specific, etc. Didn't happen on 2 original Pre's on 1.4.5, or 2 Veers on 2.1.2. But then again so far haven't replicated it on my phone in the same manor it has happened on the other Pre2.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    How do you think it could help? Does it do something to alarms, specifically?

I feel like an ***** when I try to use Mode Switcher. I've installed it, played with some settings, then uninstalled it out of frustration twice already. I just can't seem to understand how to set things up in this program, even using the user guide.
    For ringtones I believe it could help you. Choose your mp3 in both the default mode in Mode Switcher and in Sounds and try it. I don't believe you have anything to lose. For alarms I'm not sure.

The only similar problem I had was when for some reason instead of my ringtone it started ringing with the system sound (the one you hear when you charge it for example). I'm not sure how I solved it. It took some device restarts and resetting the sounds both in MS and Sounds. So I'm sorry I can't offer anything concrete.

PS Sorry if you said it and I didn't see it. Have you tried other sounds?