Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My Verizon Pre2 has just been delivered, and I'm looking for some guidance in making the move from my current, Verizon Pre+. For those of you that have moved between 2 webOS phones, I'd appreciate any advice/input. Here are some specific questions that I have:

1. What do I need to do with my current phone, before activating my new one? I have my contacts split b/n my Palm Profile and my Gmail. Do I need to do anything with this before moving over? What about my Palm calendar?

2. I'll make sure all of my pics/music are saved to my computer before the move. I have some apps, but not alot. Will all my current apps be downloaded w/my Palm Profile? What about certain apps that have their own data? Ringers?

3. I'm going to try to activate the phone myself. There was supposed to be a guide for this in the box, but it wasn't included. I'm sure I can find one online, but any tips for this?

A note about this: I purchased this phone from Verizon's website. My husband and I each have Pre Pluses and his line was eligible for the $4.99 upgrade. Mine was not. So, we ordered the phone with the intention of activating it on my line. I've asked about this on these forums previously, and people have said that I shouldn't have a problem, however, if this affects *how* we should go about activating the phone, please take this into consideration in your reply.

4. My Pre+ right now is very "vanilla". I have a few apps, and am running webOS 1.4.5.1, as that's the last release from Palm/ Verizon. I might want to start using some homebrew apps, maybe do some overclocking, etc. I've read a few things about "patches" not getting along with the version of webOS the Pre2 can use right now. What are some important things I should know before I think about modifying my Pre2 in any of these manners? Of course, keep in mind that I want this phone needs to last me until we start seeing webOS in smartphones again (assuming the Pre3 isn't released for Verizon...).

Big thanks to anyone that replies
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Best advice I can give:

http://www.precentral.net/backup

As far as activating it, I'm really unsure about that, as I am a Sprint customer, not VZW.

As far as Homebrew:

http://www.precentral.net/how-use-pr...hes-and-themes
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonp2 View Post
    Best advice I can give:

As far as activating it, I'm really unsure about that, as I am a Sprint customer, not VZW.

As far as Homebrew:

http://www.precentral.net/how-use-pr...hes-and-themes
    Thanks for the 2 links - -they will definitely be helpful.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

These pretty much tell you everything you need to do. just backup your phones usb drive on your comp. synch contatcs with gmail. and use save and restore for app data.

and patches go along fine fine on my pre2. I have 39 installed and im ocing.
    Verizon will usually require phones with mandatory data plans to be activated the first time by calling customer service. It only takes a few minutes.

you should also grab a pre2 for you, cuz it's an awesome phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Verizon will usually require phones with mandatory data plans to be activated the first time by calling customer service. It only takes a few minues.
    Yesterday, I went from a VZW Pre+ to VZW Pre2. I activated the phone myself at Verizonwireless' website at no cost. Took 5 minutes and was painless.

I put my Pre+ in airplane mode prior to activating the Pre2, as I used the same Palm Profile on the Pre2. I also made a list of all the applications, patches, theme, etc I had on the Pre+ so I could compare to the Pre2, once the profile was loaded.

Once acivated, I immediately went to the "System Updates" and updated to WebOS v2.1, as the Pre2 comes with v2.0 installed.

Good Luck.
    I guess VZW is still running off its initial stock - I would've guessed by now that they would be shipping with 2.1.0. That'll be my first move too when ours arrive.
    I just moved from Pre+ to Pre2 on Verizon last night, using a Pre2 purchased off of eBay.

I followed the 'backup' guide/link as given above. Here's a few notes:

- You must switch the phones in your Verizon account first. Do it online. In my case, I was forced to change the data plans. The only change to the data plan was the removal of "Hotspot - $0" service that came with the Pre+. I found it strange to have to pick a different plan, but I didn't have a choice.
    - Once you to the switch you can then follow the 'backup' guide
    - Update the OS version to 2.1 - connect via WiFi before you do that if you can.
    - Total time to do the upgrade was well over 3 hrs. I went slowly and followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, because I had a lot of patches and things I wanted moved to the new phone.
    - My battery was 100% when I started, but around 50% when finished. So be sure you start with plenty of battery or have the charger handy.

I hope this has been helpful!

QUESTION:
    Like the backup guide recommends, I created a new Palm Profile while updating the Pre2. My Pre+ is still in airplane mode.

Can I put my Pre+ on the new Palm Profile, and not have it wipe out the Pre2? After all, the Pre2 was initially on the new profile but I've now transitioned it to my original profile. I'm assuming the 'wipe the phone that left the profile when a new phone is used' rule won't apply to the Pre2 since it is healthy on the original profile?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    I just moved from Pre+ to Pre2 on Verizon last night, using a Pre2 purchased off of eBay.

I followed the 'backup' guide/link as given above. Here's a few notes:

- You must switch the phones in your Verizon account first. Do it online. In my case, I was forced to change the data plans. The only change to the data plan was the removal of "Hotspot - $0" service that came with the Pre+. I found it strange to have to pick a different plan, but I didn't have a choice.
    - Once you to the switch you can then follow the 'backup' guide
    - Update the OS version to 2.1 - connect via WiFi before you do that if you can.
    - Total time to do the upgrade was well over 3 hrs. I went slowly and followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, because I had a lot of patches and things I wanted moved to the new phone.
    - My battery was 100% when I started, but around 50% when finished. So be sure you start with plenty of battery or have the charger handy.

I hope this has been helpful!

QUESTION:
    Like the backup guide recommends, I created a new Palm Profile while updating the Pre2. My Pre+ is still in airplane mode.

Can I put my Pre+ on the new Palm Profile, and not have it wipe out the Pre2? After all, the Pre2 was initially on the new profile but I've now transitioned it to my original profile. I'm assuming the 'wipe the phone that left the profile when a new phone is used' rule won't apply to the Pre2 since it is healthy on the original profile?

Thanks.

What? you dont need to update the os to 2.1 on the pre- if thats what your refering to and it shouldnt take 3 hours.

Honestly all you need to do is get save/restore. Back up your palm profile and usb hardrive and your good. should take 10 mins and another 10 mins for everything to sync back on your pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    What? you dont need to update the os to 2.1 on the pre- if thats what your refering to and it shouldnt take 3 hours.

Honestly all you need to do is get save/restore. Back up your palm profile and usb hardrive and your good. should take 10 mins and another 10 mins for everything to sync back on your pre2.
    The new Pre2 shipped with 2.0.1 and I upgraded to 2.1. That took quite a while to do. Once I logged into my profile and did a restore, it then took me a while to get all my account passwords in order as well.

The backup guide recommends a lot of reboots as well. Perhaps some aren't necessary, but some are.
    Regarding the activation... Once you turn on the Pre2, as soon as it boots you will first choose your language (English, etc) and then it will immediately try to connect to Verizon. If you haven't activated the Pre2 on your Verizon account yet, the call to Verizon will fail. So, be sure to activate it/switch it with your existing phone number on your Verizon account.

Once it is activated on the Verizon system, then you will be prompted for the Palm Profile login, etc. and that's where the rest of the guides listed above come into play.

I really miss the 4x4 icon layout ... I wish there was a way to get that in 2.1.

Best wishes!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Just wanted to update everyone that gave me some input on this.

I'm glad to say that things went off without a hitch. Three of the linked webpages were especially helpful:

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-bac...le-information
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-3-1-a.html

As far as activation went, airplane mode worked like a charm, but the Verizon site decided it didn't want to let me activate for a couple days. I finally called the 800 number and got help from a really nice woman. After activation, I got my profiles working, updated to webOS 2.1, and updated my apps. Everything transferred over without a hitch

I love the Pre2. The keyboard works wonderfully, the screen is beautiful, and it's LOADS faster than my Pre+. So glad I made the switch.

Thanks again to everyone that posted Now, I'm off to venture into the world of Preware and Homebrew Apps....
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    The new Pre2 shipped with 2.0.1 and I upgraded to 2.1. That took quite a while to do. Once I logged into my profile and did a restore, it then took me a while to get all my account passwords in order as well.

The backup guide recommends a lot of reboots as well. Perhaps some aren't necessary, but some are.
    From my experience. And from documentation. You only need one restart for when the update is applied. And the update took me 5mins or so. Synching my profiles/accounts took longer about 10 mins.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    How does the Pre 2 compare to the Plus. is it noticeably improved.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    it's a far sturdier phone. it feels like a solid piece of equipment vs. the flimsy pre+.

the os is also far better.

one issue I have with the 2 is the accelerometer is a bit screwy. I'll open up email and it will be upside down for a second or three.

If that's the price I have to pay to still be able to have a webOS phone, I'll pay it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    it's a far sturdier phone. it feels like a solid piece of equipment vs. the flimsy pre+.

the os is also far better.

one issue I have with the 2 is the accelerometer is a bit screwy. I'll open up email and it will be upside down for a second or three.

If that's the price I have to pay to still be able to have a webOS phone, I'll pay it.
    My 3rd? Pre Plus has been rock solid. My first and second had keyboard issues. My build quality has been fine and I have handled Pre2's and didn't think they were a whole lot sturdier than the Pre+ - what specific improvements have you seen on the Pre2?

As for the accelerometer - that behavior could be related to the processor speed throttling down couldn't it? The idle phone might not keep up with orientation very well.