Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Congrats!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadManMoon View Post
    Guess what I'm posting from!!!

I will post more impressions in a few days, but for now all I'll say is...this is what the Pre- should have been!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If the Pre 2 had ever been available in Sprint, I would probably still be using it today. I've moved on to Android (moto photon) and there are things I like about it, but there are things I still miss about WebOS, too. I still find myself wanting to swipe things away.
    purplepansy likes this.
    Guess what I'm posting from!!!

I will post more impressions in a few days, but for now all I'll say is...this is what the Pre- should have been!

That's awesome! I'm glad you are enjoying it!!
  4.    #24  
    So, after a few days with the Pre 2, I have some thoughts and observations.

I'll start with the bad.

1. GPS. I know (I think) the GPS isn't as crippled as the VZW Pre+, but it's still horrendous compared to all my Android devices. I can't get a fix unless I'm outside or right against a window, whereas with the Droids, I could get a fix within a few seconds even deep inside my house.

2. Navigation. Now this is just me being stubborn, but I won't pay VZW $10/month for their navigation when I got so used to Google Nav being free. That being said...I haven't found a good alternative yet. Using the directions in Google Maps is a start, but with the GPS so crippled (and almost unusable while in motion, say in a car), it's not nearly good enough. I tried NavIt, but it's obviously in its infancy - if it's polished, I may go back, but for now it's not worth the hassle. And I won't spend $25 for nDrive. So my solution for now is to tether my Droid to the Pre 2 via freeTether, and use my Droid as my GPS unit while driving. Problem solved!

3. Missing Apps. There are some apps I just became used to using on a daily basis that aren't available on webOS. The Facebook app is very limited compared to its Android counterpart. No Kindle app - that's the biggest issue for me. No Google Nav (covered above). The Engadget app doesn't show comments (those are fun to read), but at least the articles are there. No Verizon app to check minutes/data usage. No Netflix - another biggie. No Google Voice (Voogle 3.0 needs an update to be useful).

4. 4G LTE. My house isn't in a 4G area, but my office is, and I'll admit it's nice to get 12MBps download speeds, even if there's not much to do with it yet! Plus I'm a techie geek, so it's painful knowing my phone isn't the latest and greatest, running on the fastest part of the network.

5. Minor Hardware Issues. Sometimes when I push the power button to turn the screen on, it takes a few seconds or several pushes to react. A minor annoyance. A bigger one: the flashing screen in a call bug. It's almost impossible to end a call from my end as the screen is flashing on and off every second. I've tried cleaning the screen near the light sensor, to no avail.

Okay, with all that being said...onto the good.

1. Gestures. Ahh. So natural, so easy. This is how interacting with a mobile device should be. Makes ALL other mobile players (iOS, Android, BB, etc.) seem antiquated and clunky in comparison.

2. Touchstone. Oh, how I missed the simplicity of just placing my device on the 'Stone to charge! I even missed the "bong-bong!" sound effect! Haha, I'm such a dork!

3. Keyboard. I definitely missed having a real QWERTY, and this one seems even better than the almost-flawless Pre- keyboard.

4. Build Quality. What a difference! Gone is the cheap plastic screen, the stupid USB port cover, the Oreo effect. Again, this is what the original Pre should have been all along.

5. Just Type. Simply awesome. Again, makes all other OSes seem clunky by comparison.

6. Homebrew. I flashed ROMs in Android almost habitually, but none had the ease of use and dedication of the webOS homebrew community. I never once even considered donating to any Android developers, but I've donated many, many times to webOS homebrew developers. Such a difference. Wow.

In summary...I am so glad to be back. It's an amazing OS with a fantastic ecosystem, and Preware makes it even better. I wish the Pre 3 came with 4G LTE, and if it did, I'd pay the $800+ cost in a heartbeat.

HP missed the boat in a big way here. I still weep thinking if the original Pre had come out a year earlier, with the build quality of the Pre 2 and the polish of webOS 2.1.0, it would be webOS with the lion's share of the mobile market.
    Last edited by MadManMoon; 10/03/2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typos and formatting.

Sprint__________________________ GSM___ Verizon_________________
    ananimus likes this.
    All I can say is if you like the Pre 2,you will **** on yourself with the feel, look, smoothness, etc of the Pre 3, which I think is the real deal. If you can get one when they release the Verizon version, do so.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    All I can say is if you like the Pre 2,you will **** on yourself with the feel, look, smoothness, etc of the Pre 3, which I think is the real deal. If you can get one when they release the Verizon version, do so.
    I'm looking forward to pooping myself, especially if the Verizon Pre 3 drops to AT&T Pre 3 prices. Fingers crossed!

7.    #27  
    So I'm back again...again!

My wife and I had our Pre 2s for a grand total of 3 days before the minor annoyances drove us away. I really needed a decent navigation solution, and wasn't about to pay Verizon $10/month for the privilege of using aGPS (which they freely make available to all their Android phones). So for now I'm back on my Thunderbolt.

However...I pulled the trigger last weekend on a Verizon Pre 3 for $549! I reasoned that that was about the same as any other modern off-contract smartphone, so it was worth it. Combined with the Bing Maps update (which should bring better navigation abilities) and the global capabilities (I travel to Europe for work several times a year, and maintain an unlocked Nexus S for my overseas travel), I'd rather consolidate with one awesome phone.

I figure I'll push myself to go with the Pre 3 at least until the Galaxy Nexus arrives (which should apparently be LTE + global GSM)...since Android 4.0 has Matias Duarte's elegant fingerprints all over it!

So sometime tomorrow I should return to the webOS fold a third time!

Trust me, you won't need to be pushed to like the Pre 3, just wait and see
    MadManMoon likes this.
    You'll be happy to know that the GPS on the Verizon Pre 3 isn't gimped at all. I got mine today and Maps will show my location in seconds, while my Pre 2 required me to mess with the GPS Fix app for 3-5 minutes just to get a fix going.

I admit I was worried at first because the first time launching Maps it couldn't find my location for 30 secs or so. But after that first time it's been smooth sailing ever since.

PS: typing all this on my Pre 3 is a much nicer experience than doing the same on a Pre 2.
    MadManMoon likes this.
    Welcome back! Yeah, I was thinking to myself, "This guy's on VZ and didn't go for a 3?" Jealous.

Odd about the GPS. This one still makes me scratch my head. I just converted a VZ Pre 2 to Sprint and the GPS is nearly instant. As for other apps (free TeleNav on Sprint, woot), I think I heard folks mention nDrive. At least I know there's one out there that costs tens of dollars, but it's also run off a local map file so you don't need data (and no monthly fee).

And I've noticed my FrankenPre2 has that same reluctance to wake too sometimes. Doesn't bother me much as everything else snaps up quickly, but I wish I knew why it balks when I hit power half the time.
    Heads up!

As a follow up, just checked nDrive in the app catalog. It's 50% off right now ($25).

Then again, reviews also seem to indicate there might be a problem with it on the VZW Pre 2 as well. (Wth, Verizon?)

Also, read elsewhere recently that it's still in beta for the Pre 3.

So maybe this doesn't help at all. :-/
  12.    #32  

I'm smitten. I'm in deep smit.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I'm smitten. I'm in deep smit.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have to say I'm way jealous, I want a Pre 3 so bad!, I just dont have the $$ and can really justify the cost, but I love my Pre 2, its so much better than the Plus, but I agree, I with It had a better GPS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12