Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emjayess
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I already have everything set up and ready to go (just waiting on the Pre 2 to come in the mail), but had a few quick questions.

1. Should I also turn off backup on my Touchpad?
    ---if I turn off and then turn on backup will it affect anything on my Touchpad and Pre 2 when they both attempt to backup?

2. Is the an easy way to download all the apps from my Pre to my Pre 2?
    ---I know I will have to download them all manually, but will I have to search for each app in the catalogue or is than an easier way to get all my apps back. (should I make an app list?)

3. Does anyone have any other tips or information you discovered after a FrankenPre'd that I should know (that isn't covered in the wiki)?
    your touchpad shouldn't have any impact on your phone.

your phone should automatically download your apps.
    I'm at the point of switching over, but I can't seem to get the Metadoctor working right.

Is the entire configuration done through Ubuntu, or can it be done through Windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I'm at the point of switching over, but I can't seem to get the Metadoctor working right.

Is the entire configuration done through Ubuntu, or can it be done through Windows?
    You can build your new installer from the meta doctor on Ubuntu and drop it to a thumb drive or external drive, etc., and run the rebuilt installer from windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post

But following the directions when you do this through Ubuntu, it literally does it for you. So putting it on a thumb drive to use within windows is just an extra unnecessary step... IMO atleast.
    Quote Originally Posted by neobaptist View Post
    I already have everything set up and ready to go (just waiting on the Pre 2 to come in the mail), but had a few quick questions.

1. Should I also turn off backup on my Touchpad?
    ---if I turn off and then turn on backup will it affect anything on my Touchpad and Pre 2 when they both attempt to backup?

2. Is the an easy way to download all the apps from my Pre to my Pre 2?
    ---I know I will have to download them all manually, but will I have to search for each app in the catalogue or is than an easier way to get all my apps back. (should I make an app list?)

3. Does anyone have any other tips or information you discovered after a FrankenPre'd that I should know (that isn't covered in the wiki)?
    1. No reason to do anything to the Touchpad.

2. The steps to back up apps are outlined in the tutorials for online backup via HP/Palm. Also, install Preware on your current phone and then install Save/Restore; backup your current phone with the Save/Restore procedure which you can find in the main PreCentral pages (later, you'll use it to reinstall it all).

3. Read and listen and watch all the tutorials first. The photo tutorial for the swap of the comm board/bezel and the video from WebOSRoundup do not match exactly, so watch for differences and take your time. I broke a volume rocker doing it the photo way, but the video way worked better (putting it in after the bezel was clicked shut). Things like that. Also, I kept the plastic screen protector on that comes with the new Pre 2 until I finished the swap due to all the handling/being face down on desk etc.

The video for Ubuntu made by a woman that is listed as sanctioned on the tutorial is not current, so watch for text that's overlaid on it. She can help you understand how to use the "Terminal" in Ubuntu, but she won't cover everything you'll run into. Nor will anyone else. Piece together stuff from many sources and, if you're like me and not a developer or computer engineer etc. (e.g., you've never heard of or dealt with Ubuntu), prepare for ambiguity and frustration. But stick with it and be patient--take a whole day for this--you might not need it, but just in case.

Good luck!
    Jonnie likes this.
    I would just recommend double checking everything before installation of the new software on your pre 2.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ya the com board isn't a problem for me. I've replaced the front housing and slide on my Pre a couple times so I'm confident I won't have any issues. I already have my installer ready to go so that isn't an issue. I actually didn't have any problems with making the installer. It's really just copy and paste(ctrl+shift+v in terminal)

I may be wrong but I thought I read that I when I turned off the backup on my Pre it would erase the information on my profile. Does that only concern my contacts and memos, and the apps will still auto download?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Turning off your backup is really unneccesary. With the new scripts everything seems to syncs up fine. My did and so did others.
    I did not turn off backups and was fine, Sprint Pre to Verizon Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Turning off your backup is really unneccesary. With the new scripts everything seems to syncs up fine. My did and so did others.
    Awesome, thanks!