1.    #1  
    I just opened my phone to one of the messages that I have missed for a long time - you know, the message that says there is an update that's going to force it's way onto my phone as soon as most humanly possible. Seeing as how I already have the custumized Sprint webOS 2.1 installed, I am thinking that it would be bad to install this one.. But, I really have no idea.. Does anybody have any experience with this, and could you point me in the right direction as to how I should proceed? Because as it stands, this update is going to install on the next charge..

Please see attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What version are you on? You have to be at least on 2.0.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
  3.    #3  
    I already have 2.1 installed....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I remember hearing about duplicate updates like this with FrankenPre2's that didn't cause any problems. This probably won't affect you adversely either.
    Just let it update. Happens to everybody I think, and nothing will happen
    I guess I didn't fully read the first post, my bad. You definitely want to le it update. It's sometimes needed for voice dial to work.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    if this is a fraken pre 2. Yha let it update.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I would recommend removing all patches and theme. First time I did the update, it totally wonked my meta doctored 2.1v& I had to run the meta doctor about 5 times. It would get stuck at 4%, 8%, 16%, and so on - each time a more. I tried running the repair utility a few times with no luck before that. Finally, I ran the .script and compiled a brand new Franken pre2 sprint Verizon doctor, and it fully took. Then before signing in I did a full reset 3 time, then a battery pull, then tapped to make an emergency call, but cleared out 911 and dialed *2, which is sprint customer service. Hit a few system menu choices that were offered and directed it to resolving issues with my data connection. Once it prompted me to stay on the line and I would be connected with a technical service rep I hung up. I can't say this helped, but sometimes calling in like this with tech or data problems will flag your phone in the system to reprovision or whatever with Sprint's network. Hung up before talking with a rep,and one more full reset.
    Then I signed into my palm profile, and waited about 5 minutes before I entered my pw to start syncing with my gmail account. Then, I waited about 5 minutes before signing in to another account to sync and link to (facebook), and did this for each one. It may seem like a delayed process but my synergy sync time was done so much faster on the back end in waiting for the services to fully sync with one another. I purposely waited to surf the internet or tie up the data services while this was finishing. Once all the sync icons at the bottom were gone, I opened up my contacts & slowly scrolled thru to the end. Slowing down this initial sync and doing a number of full reboots, and calling *2 before initial sign in and single syncing spread out has resulted in not only a better data connection but better than I ever remember with my original pre or Franken pre+. I no longer am having issues with data, text, or voice calls like I have been on occasion with my doctored Pre2 on Sprint, which others have noted of too.

After I let all the apps re-download and install, I then did a battery pull. After that I opened a few apps that are data heavy, called voicemail box, and one other call, opened a few emails from each of my 2 synced email accounts and sent myself a test IM and text and one of each to another person. Finally, played on the internet a while which I was getting a fabulous connection thru Sprint (not WiFi). Then I closed down any open cards and went to check for updates. The 2.1 update came up right away (8MB) and so I clicked to get it now. After that, it prompted me to ask if I wanted to install now and I said no.

Restarted the phone, and the update ready to install popped up the second I finished rebooting. I ran the update, and about 5 minutes later I had an ota 2.1 running flawlessly. I think it fixes phone and data cutout issues as well as getting the voice dial services properly working ?

I can say I have my phone running with a stronger connection and less glitches than I have ever had!
    Battery life was even doing much much better. Oddly, a few hours later I finally loaded on Preware, and only that for a couple of hours and noticed the battery drain was a bit faster? After a couple hours I loaded on a bit of stuff from Prepare, at first just the Advanced patches for 2.x, and man did that start showing some really large increases in battery drain! I haven't even loaded a kernel / overclocked it. I'm not sure why this would cause such a dramatic speed up on battery drain. I do know the amazing HB contributers around here do unbelievable things for us and inspect anything submitted for Preware very very closely, so I can't explain why it seems to create a battery leak for me?

Sorry for the long reply, but I thought I'd share my process and the tremendous improvement I now have as a result of slowing down the steps and initial setup coming from a meta-doctoring. I'm sure it was overkill on my part, but hopefully others may be able to try it out and we can see if it can replicate the same positives I have seen!

I would also advise when syncing to do your primary / largest email first. Then facebook / LinkedIn or whatever social networking site you have the most contacts on. Then do a few smaller accounts with less sync information, like for me, I did YouTube, then, AiM, then PhotoBucket. Follow that by your 2nd largest email or soc. Networking site. Essentially get the biggest ones first to establish profiles, and then space them out so synergy isnt getting bogged down with all the large accounts starting their sync at the same time.

Good luck & I hope others will try this out and report back if it helps!?!?

Lastly to everyone that works on HB, Internals, etc, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Meta-doctoring for 2.1 has been such a joy after being stuck at 1.4.5 and seeing the new app submissions drying up while 2.0 was adding great new features and services I could only envy from afar before I got my FrankenPre2!!
  9.    #9  
    I just ran the update with no obvious problems.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkavic View Post
    I just ran the update with no obvious problems.
    Good. You should notice voice dial functions. lol
    Last edited by giggles; 09/25/2011 at 02:27 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Good. You should notice voice dials functions. lol
    well that's convenient! I hadn't even tried to use it before, maybe I'll give it a shot now..
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Best use is to hold up on the volume rocker and speak whoevers name u want to call.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Best use is to hold up on the volume rocker and speak whoevers name u want to call.
    wow, that is awesome! Thanks for the tip!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Voice dialing support was already part of 2.1 install to the Pre - which is what the thred owner indicted he has.

I would wait to her from someone from Internals.

hpwebos.com indicates the latest version for Sprint Pre is 1.4.5
    Last edited by Dale46; 09/25/2011 at 06:37 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, but I've got a Pre 2, with a sprint comm board.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Dale read the thread in its entirety and you understand the situation before given contradicting advice. For his pre 2's voice dial to function properly the update was needed.