1.    #1  
    Okay, getting a little burned out here after too many hours at this. I'm trying to doctor a brand new Verizon Pre 2 after swapping in my Sprint Pre- comm board. The hardware part went fine, but the software....

I installed an Ubuntu 11.04 Server image into VMPlayer on a Windows XP machine. Installing Metadoctor was a bit of a challenge since every time I went a couple of steps forward, I found something missing. After many "apt-get install" commands I finally got the script to run. Problem is that it runs quite a ways through and craps out when it seems not to find "zip". Seems odd since I saw zip commands process earlier in the script. I'm not sure the best way to output the error, but these are the last few lines I'm seeing when the script bombs out:

(cd build/meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 ; \
    zip -q -d webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-2.1.0.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    META-INF/JARKEY.* \
    resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config)
    /bin/sh: zip: not found
    make[1]: *** [build/meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.1.0/.packed] Error 127
    make[1]: LEaving directory `/home/user/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I'd sure appreciate it if anyone has any insight. I've done "make clobber" and started over a couple of times, but not being a Linux guru I'm not sure what to look for next. And I have no phone at the moment... :-(

Thanks.

skip
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im not sure how to fix this, But the best to to do for the long run and to build a reliable working doctor and make things easier is to dual boot ubuntu with atleast 15 gigs of space.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Im not sure how to fix this, But the best to to do for the long run and to build a reliable working doctor and make things easier is to dual boot ubuntu with atleast 15 gigs of space.
    I tried using the WUBI installer on two different machines and they both failed - that's why I ended up going the VMPlayer route. Doesn't seem like free space is an issue, but I'm not a Linux guru:

/: 49G, 4.16G Used
    /dev: 242M , 200K Used
    /dev/shm: 248M, 0 Used
    /dev/run: 248M, 48K Used
    /dev/lock: 248M, 0 Used

I've been through the docs ten times, done all of the steps to the letter, but I'm still stuck without a working Pre. I didn't think this would be easy, but I thought it would at least work...

skip
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im pretty sure the guide says dont use the wubi. It dosent work. or its a hit and miss. Best thing to do is just download it. onto a disc or usb and put into computer and boot into the disc or usb and live install from there.

Yha I understand your frustration I had a un use able pre for 2 days because of software and hardware issues. But Id just try installl through a usb or cd. vm are skecthy imo.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Im pretty sure the guide says dont use the wubi. It dosent work. or its a hit and miss. Best thing to do is just download it. onto a disc or usb and put into computer and boot into the disc or usb and live install from there.

Yha I understand your frustration I had a un use able pre for 2 days because of software and hardware issues. But Id just try installl through a usb or cd. vm are skecthy imo.
    Well, I seem to be making progress. After finding the note that said if you are running Ubuntu using VM, you will need to copy the new jar out of the VM into your live desktop to run the jar in your native OS, I did that and got about 4% through when it bombed out with the token mismatch error. Arrgghhh.

I guess I just need to bite the bullet, do a full Ubuntu install on another machine, and start all over again...