Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonycannoli
  1.    #1  
    So I'm a Pre plus user on Verizon and after all the craziness with HP over the last few weeks and the end of the US Pre 3, I just went out and bought a new in box Pre 2 off ebay for $145. Here are my thoughts:

First of all, getting a new WebOS phone means you get a new battery. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a battery that lasts 8-10 hours on a charge. After 16 months of charging my plus battery was down to 4-5 hours and it was really annoying. Having a new battery is so much better. As an aside, Plus users who suffer from poor battery life should consider buying a new BP1 off ebay because it makes you much happier with your Plus which is still a good phone.

Ok so back to the Pre 2. Overall, I like it better. It is heavier in the hand and feels slightly chubby. Now part of that is probably the weight of the Gorilla glass screen and while I'm on the screen, I'll tell you having a glass screen is very nice. It just makes the phone seem nicer all around. It no longer feels like a kick a*s OS on plasticky little hardware. On the otherhand, the smooth riverstone in hand feel is traded for the clean look of the glass front Pre 2. For me, its a trade I'm good with.

Flash works sometimes and other times it just hangs but never starts to play. I wish it worked better but so far I don't really care. People make such a big deal about apps and flash and all that, but for me a phone the makes calls, goes to the web with ease, texts and delivers messages as well as WebOS is what I really care about cause that's my world.

The processor is much better! Seriously, WebOS used to be a little laggy and studder during scrolling and now it is smooth. I had an overclocked Pre at 1Ghz and the 1 Ghz Pre 2 is much better. Cards launch very fast, boot time is faster, google maps launches faster (still misses the mark though) and websites load a bit faster. WebOS needed a true 1Ghz processor and finally this part of the hardware is in place and it is simply the best part of the Pre 2 so enjoy.

Free Mobile Hotspot on Verizon is not included on the Pre 2 but you can pay them for the use if you want.

The Pre 2 is a nice upgrade and if I were a bumbed Pre owner I'd buy it and continue to enjoy WebOS. However if I were you, I'd buy it off contract on ebay for $150 rather than use an upgrade on it.
    hf199 likes this.
  2. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Nice - thanks!

I just got a Rogers Pre 2 to replace by old Bell Pre -
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Great review, and can I just say that I love the fact that it still says Palm on the back!
    freeTether is a nice alternative to paying Verizon.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post
    freeTether is a nice alternative to paying Verizon.
    where can I find out how to get that on my pre 2? I didnt see it in the app store. Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyCannoli View Post
    where can I find out how to get that on my pre 2? I didnt see it in the app store. Thx.
    It's in Preware. The app store should show Mobile Hotspot for free.
    to the OP! Thanks for the review, but I doubt you can tell 5.1 oz Vs. 4.9 oz. I know I can't.

BTW, I have one of each and I just tried really hard to tell.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Can you share the steps you took to migrate off the Pre Plus to the Pre 2? I've got a Pre 2 on order and will be upgrading in a few days. I figure I'll connect via USB and pull off all my important files (photos, ringtones, etc) and once I connect to my profile with the new unit I think it will download all my apps, etc...?
    Glad to see another person love the Pre2, it crushes me though that we were so close to the Pre3 and it was going to be on Verizon too!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    Can you share the steps you took to migrate off the Pre Plus to the Pre 2? I've got a Pre 2 on order and will be upgrading in a few days. I figure I'll connect via USB and pull off all my important files (photos, ringtones, etc) and once I connect to my profile with the new unit I think it will download all my apps, etc...?
    I loaded my plus onto my laptop to save pictures ect but I have yet to put them on my Pre 2 yet. Your Palm profile should take care of all your contacts and apps and make sure they sync to your new Pre 2.