Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys.

New PalmPre2 owner here. Figured i should get a piece of this company before it fades into history. I have been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks, so i'm not completely a newbie.

FYI, my previous phone was a iPhone3GS. (I am a developer, albeit not a mobile developer). And this is my first Palm/WebOS product.

Alright, so i've been trying to make my Pre2 my primary phone for a week now, and although i really like the interface and UI, i cannot stand the instability and random restarts.

My Pre2: GSM unlocked from the U.K., in use in Australia.

I have not installed PreWare, or hacked/modded this phone in any way.

The pre2 keeps restarting daily. I have read about the loose battery issue, but it restarts when it's sitting on the desk, without being moved.

I have removed all apps i have installed from the App Catalog, backed up the phone, and done a secure erase several times. But none of this has helped. Just today, i made an call, and when i wanted to hang up, i looked at the phone and it had the HP boot logo...WHILE i was on the call. ***?? I usually leave the phone app, the messages app and the email app open and running.

Any suggestions will be helpful. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a waste of money, as i bought the phone(and accessories) outright. So far this has been the most unstable phone i have ever owned.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Try to doctor it.
    I would reflash it with the webOS doctor and see if anything changes.
  4.    #4  
    I have downloaded the 2.1 GSM doctor .jar file. (i'm on MacOSX Snow Leopard(10.6)), but i do not know how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies.
    My USA spec Verizon Pre2 doesn't have any restart issues at all. It's very stable & I have around 150 apps & patches installed. I'd start with flashing the Rom with a fresh webOS 2.1 doctor and see if that helps. Maybe erase the media drive as well & completely start over. Unless there's an issue with the ROW versions of the Pre2 that should fix it. If not, maybe you have a hardware issue.
    Get Java if you don't have it then follow the directions here.
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I never had this issue with my Pre 2 either.

On the Pre and Pre+ this issue was commonly caused by the battery moving when then slider was used. Causing a lose of battery connectivity.

If it is a bad connection of your battery, you can place a small piece of electrical tape at the top of the battery. To make a tighter fit.
    Yeah I've had no restart issues with my Pre2 either. Sounds like somethings wrong.

Sorry to hear you got a dud. I found the Pre 2 super solid. Sorry. I think it might be a hardware problem. Which could happen to any phone, but because of the Pre's track record, that's pretty cold comfort.
  9.    #9  
    I'm trying to doctor it right now. will post the results when it's done. Thanks for the link FenrirWolf. Should i keep the sim card in the Pre while it is being doctored?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Mine rebooted alot. Battery. Go figure lol
  11.    #11  
    Ugh...problems. I followed the link posted above by Fenrir. And it downloads a file called "webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-1.jnlp" to my machine. I launch it, and it starts downloading an application somewhere on my machine. (The Palm Pre2 is not plugged into my Mac at this point). The download completes and then a message comes up that it "Cannot launch JAR file...").....i do not know what file is downloaded or where it is.

Very annoying. i'm trying it again. Can any person who has done this on a Mac shed some light on this? or anyone else?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    You have to have the phone connected via USB cable and the phone on USB mode.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_a View Post
    Ugh...problems. I followed the link posted above by Fenrir. And it downloads a file called "webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-1.jnlp" to my machine. I launch it, and it starts downloading an application somewhere on my machine. (The Palm Pre2 is not plugged into my Mac at this point). The download completes and then a message comes up that it "Cannot launch JAR file...").....i do not know what file is downloaded or where it is.
    ... and make sure Java is running right first. (Not sure how you do that on a Mac). If needed, google Java and Sun and you'll get the download site.

then try again...
  14.    #14  
    Does anyone know where this file gets downloaded to on a Mac? It isnt in my downloads folder. When i launch this file:"webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-1.jnlp" it starts downloading, but i have no idea where.
    The jnlp file is some sort of downloader that will fetch the jar. There are direct links here.
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
  16.    #16  
    Downloaded, and it is updating right now....hopeful. will post results
  17.    #17  
    Doctoring completed successfully(assumed), and signed into my Palm profile. Pre2 has been restored, so lets see how long till the next restart.

Just for my information, could someone post some details/pictures on the battery fix?
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for your help everyone. I hope this fixes any issues. Will be back if there are any more issues.

Cheers
  19.    #19  
    Well. Its been about 24 hours since i doctored the pre2. It restarted on me twice today. The only things i put on the device were some pictures and music. To be fair it only restarted in the last couple of hours.

If it is the battery, how do i find out and fix it.

Also i am in australia(pre2 was ordered from uk) is there international warranty on this thing?

Thanks
    Can you list out any apps you have installed or is it all stock? You might try turning Palm backup off. It just backs up your profile data. All app purchases are still maintained.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast