Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    In my experience, it is a bad/corrupt backup. Go into the backup app and try to do a manual backup. See if it hangs. Mine did, but when I restarted the app, it said my last backup was completed. I don't buy it. If it hangs on you, turn backups off, answer yes to delete, then restart (blob+sym+R) phone when done. Go back into the Backup app and turn backups back on. Attempt a backup. If it completes successfully, this might fix your issue.
    I had the same issue with my palm pre 2 and I doctored several times. No help. I was hoping the update to 2.1 would have helped but it didn't. Three days ago my phone decoded to restart and not turn back on. I didn't have a phone for the entire day almost as the device was stuck on the HP logo. Even after several battery pulls.

I love the operating system, but the reliability its not there.....
  3.    #23  
    Frantid and GHT, yes i did have backups enabled. I have tirned it off for now.
    I had no additional apps installed. The only one which was downloaded was the updated app catalog app.

I doctored and restored the pre2 again yesterday, for the last time. If it stays unstable i will give up.

Estebancam, i agree. A brand new product working like this is shocking. Or maybe im just spoilt by Apple's products. I too like webos. But a phone needs to be stable, a lot more stable than this anyway.
    Last edited by hawkeye_a; 09/21/2011 at 10:31 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Well, i've given up. It's restarted a couple of times on me since. Can anyone point me to the "battery solution"? And does anyone know if i can claim a warranty replacement in Australia?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I can't find the original post, but you may want to check your battery and the pins it connects to for dust and other impediments. If that clears, check to see if the battery is slightly loose. I haven't heard of this being an issue with the pre 2s, but it was an issue with the -/+. If it is, secure the battery in place with electrical tape. Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
    I'd also try installing uberkernel to see if you get better performance under it. But then again that wouldn't fix anything if your battery really is faulty
    I have a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. When I first got it running, I had an issue with it constantly restarting. Through pure chance, I stumbled on the possibility that it might have something to do with the Wi-Fi at my office. Turning Wi-Fi off solved the problem.

A few weeks after discovering this, I bought a Touchpad. Since it only has wi-fi, I decided to dig into the issue a bit more. Here's what I found out:

The Touchpad is 802.11b, g and n compatible.
    The Pre 2 is 802.11b and g compatible.

I have a Netgear dual band wireless router that sends on the 2.4 Ghz band and the 5 Ghz band. It essentially is 2 wireless routers in 1. Initially, I had both radios with the same SSID and pass phrase. I decided to try changing my SSID for each to something unique.

As soon as I did that, the Touchpad connected to the 5 Ghz radio with that SSID, the Pre2 connected to the 2.4 Ghz radio. The Pre2 can't even see the 5 Ghz signal.

I have not had an issue with random restarts since. I think it was a wi-fi configuration issue.

Good luck!
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    giggles likes this.
  8.    #28  
    @FenrirWolf
    I'm not keen on modding it at this point as i will be trying to get a replacement if possible.

@StaceyS
    I cant remember if i tested it with wifi turned off. Will give it a shot. As for the frequency settings, that might be a bit trickier for me as i am using a mifi router.

I just 'secure erased' the Pre2 and restored the info from my Palm Profile (could this be an issue although the backup done prior was successful ?). There are no additional apps installed, i have not connected the device to my comp, and there are no additional files(docs/music/movies) on the device. I have the phone, messages and email apps running, with their cards open.

Incidentally, it automatically restarted on me when i went to restart the device. But i'll try it out and see how it goes.

Either way, i do not think a shipping device should be this fragile and unpredictable that the end user has to spend hours diagnosing it. And unfortunately i am very disappointed in the quality of the product. I just hope i get a replacement as i have gotten a few accessories(case, screen protector, chargers, touchstones) for the device.

Cheers for your help guys. Will let you know how it goes.
  9.    #29  
    In true obsessed-fan style, i decided to give it another shot. This time i created a new palm Profile using one of my other email addresses.

And guess what.....it's been crashing a lot less than usual (only once in the past 15 hours). i really dont know what is causing it, or even if it could creep up again. here's hoping not.

I suspect it *could* be something to do with the SIM card or my previous Palm Profile (specifically calendars). The programmer in me tells me, it's a memory leak somewhere causing some overflow problems.

Will keep you posted on the progress of this issue...
    kataran and cfbauer like this.
  10.    #30  
    I replaced the SIM and it *seemed* to be a more stable initially, but it has already crashed and restarted on me three times today. I even removed all my accounts.

Do you guys leave any apps running constantly with their cards open (like phone, messages and email) ? It's been crashing when i quit a couple of apps by flicking the cards off the screen.

Any suggestions at this point?
    If you have successfully doctored several times, disabled backups and doctored, and tried a new profile but it appears to consistently crash on you regardless, with no extra apps or patches installed, then there's really only two possibilities left:
    1) Your computer is somehow corrupting your doctors. Try with a different computer and different usb cable.
    2) You were unlucky enough to end up with a lemon phone and will need to do a warranty replacement. It happens.
    My issue with the wifi wasn't specifically frequency related. It was mostly due to part of the router settings being set to a higher, faster standard than the Pre2 was capable of. In essence, the Pre2 would connect and after a while, the signal would go beyond the Pre2's capability and cause it to restart.

As soon as I changed some settings in the router (used WPA2 instead of the latest encryption, shut off "Video network", an optimization routine on the router), the Pre2 connected just fine and stopped doing random, frequent restarts.

I tried looking up some of the specs of the MiFi, but there's a ton of them, and I don't know what you have.
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    the battery on the pre is an easy fix...take it out and put the tape on the top lip and it should sit snug...but the restart doesn't seem to mean a battery looseness problem

try running the interactive tests in the device info ....preferences drop down menu upper left hand corner under tests it will check your hardware
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Return it to where you got it and get a replacement. Sounds like a lemon. The more you wait the less chance you will have to return it and get a replacement, as most stores have return policies of like 30 days or so. The sooner you get this done the better, as there will be less chance they can say it was something you did that broke it.

Just my opinion.
    if all is well....install preware and download Lumberjack check the logs and if you find anything take a screenshot and post it...someone should be able to help you find the problem

screenshot by pressing ....grey Sym and p at the same time
    32G Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_a View Post
    I replaced the SIM and it *seemed* to be a more stable initially, but it has already crashed and restarted on me three times today. I even removed all my accounts.

Do you guys leave any apps running constantly with their cards open (like phone, messages and email) ? It's been crashing when i quit a couple of apps by flicking the cards off the screen.

Any suggestions at this point?
    this is not normal.....pre2 is rock solid multi apps would not do what you are referring
    32G Touchpad
    hope you don't judge the pre2 on these frustrating problems

you sound like a tech guy

we are all here to help you...I will monitor your progress
    32G Touchpad
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    If you think no individual apple manufactured devices come with problems, I invite you to check out their forums. Every manufacturer has individual items roll off their assembly line that are broken while most devices from the same assembly line are not. It sounds like a lemon. My Pre2 had never rebooted of it's own volition. It hasn't been fragile at all. The way I treat my toys it would be dead by now if it were
    kataran likes this.
  19.    #39  
    @kataran, Cheers for the heads up on the tests, i had no idea they existed. The tests passed successfully.

@zemoffm, I have contacted the retailer, but i noticed that I am past the return period. I'll try and get a refund if possible, but it doubt they will oblige. Here's hoping

@LurkerX, No company can ensure that 100% of their products are perfect. (I have had problems with Apple and their return policy as well). But i am a bit disappointed as this was my first Palm product.

Will keep you guys posted if anything develops, thanks for our replies and help.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Have you tried to install jstop to check for memory leaks?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast