1.    #1  
    Heya! First, please excuse any naivety!

So I've been happy w/my Pre+, but couldn't resist the upgrade deal on VZW, phone will be here tomorrow.

My current phone has quite a few patches, homebrew apps, and theme.

I assume my first step will be installing preware - is the process the same for Pre 2?

Any new apps that I should look into especially?

Hardware - will my GRT case from my + work on the 2? does the glass screen need a shield?

Anything else I'm missing?

TIA
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    preware and any app that donates to the wicked homebrew crew
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    If this is your first time on webos 2.X, then you'll find that most of your previous patches will not work. They will show up as place holders and will not actually do anything. Your phone will probably come to you with 2.0.1 (mine did when it I received it a month ago), so I'd suggest just doctoring it from the get go to 2.1. With 2.1, you'll be able to use all of the "advanced" patches from Sconix. These patches (you want all of the ones with VZW in the patch name) for the most part will cover you for most of your customization on settings and such. On my pre+ (1.4.5.1), I had about 50+ patches but now I'm down to about 30 because the "advanced" patches handles so much of what I had before. The "advanced" patches are awesome! Thanks Sconix!

As far as the glass goes, most user have opted to not put anything on (based on a poll I posted on the forum). I, on the other hand, have opted to put the Skinomi on my phone. The glass can definitely scratch, as I've seen my phone with a few, so I felt more comfortable with the extra layer of protection. The Skinomi material feels nice to the touch but the two cut-outs they put in next to the ear speaker are very annoying because they trap dust and lint. Many have opted to use the screen protector that the phone ships with as their screen protector also. All you'll need to do is cut the tab off.

Coming from a Pre+ recently myself, I know you're going to enjoy the new phone. It's a great upgrade from the Pre+ in my opinion...
  4.    #4  
    Great, thanks.

Just 5 more hours (I know roughly when the fedex guy regularly arrives) and I'll be all ready to play with new hardware!
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    The phone will probably come to you with 2.0.1 (mine did when it I received it a month ago), so I'd suggest just doctoring it from the get go to 2.1.
    I'm in the same stuaton where I puchased a new Verizon Pre2.

Is there a thread with instruction on how to Doctor a Pre2 to 2.1? Sorry, but I'm using my Pre+ to search and haven't been able to find the thread.
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    preware and any app that donates to the wicked homebrew crew
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I'm in the same stuaton where I puchased a new Verizon Pre2.

Is there a thread with instruction on how to Doctor a Pre2 to 2.1? Sorry, but I'm using my Pre+ to search and haven't been able to find the thread.
    Go to the system update menu and click the "System Updates" app. That worked for me when my new VZW Pre2 arrived last week.
    I got my Pre 2 last week, but I am so happy with the way I have my day one “Palm Pre Plus” configured that I think I will just hang on to the Pre Plus until it dies, then switch to the Pre 2. I have all the apps and patches that I need to do my day to day communication and entertainment, so I see no reason to do a "start over" at this time. I also have a spare Pre Plus that I got from my son when he got a new Verizon droid bionic.

Long live webOS!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    I got my Pre 2 last week, but I am so happy with the way I have my day one “Palm Pre Plus” configured that I think I will just hang on to the Pre Plus until it dies, then switch to the Pre 2. I have all the apps and patches that I need to do my day to day communication and entertainment, so I see no reason to do a "start over" at this time. I also have a spare Pre Plus that I got from my son when he got a new Verizon droid bionic.

Long live webOS!
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. My Pre 2 is 'out for delivery' today, as well. My Pre Plus is humming along nicely. Patched up, running F104.... Gotta make our WebOs experience last in this age of uncertainty. Now, if they'll only ship my Touchpad. Take Care

P.S. I read somewhere here that that the OTA for 2.1.0 causes a potential problem.. Going to Doctor when I DO activate it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Might as well use the pre 2 you won't be starting over it'll take 5mins to syn back up. And prepared use save and restore. And the advanced system patches pretty much cover all bases. Pre 2 will increase your workflow and is so much fun to use. Plus with the gorilla glass screen. Scratches are a thing of the past.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I'm going to upgrade in a few days from my Pre Plus. One quick question... Do they use the same battery as the Plus?
    haha mine's being delivered tomorrow too, super psyched. First thing after sync will definitely be preware, patches & probably save/restore, followed by alllll my music.

@jjcook - yep, all batteries, touchstones & back-cases that work with the original & plus will work just fine with the pre 2